When does the DSi upgrade firmware?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by WarriorMJ, Apr 2, 2009.

Apr 2, 2009
  1. WarriorMJ
    OP

Newcomer WarriorMJ Member

United Kingdom
    Can someone with a DSi tell when the DSi checks for firmware upgrades? I already know it does it when you enter the shop you can do it manually in the settings, but what about when playing games and so on?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    There are currently no DSi only games yet, you will probably know when they come out. The dumper groups will probably a have text file saying it will autodupdate or whatever or have a patch to go with it to disable the autoupdate.

3. WarriorMJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well what I'm trying to get at is if I play a current DS rom on wi-fi, will the DSi try to upgrade firmware?

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I'm thinking no it won't, but I'm not 100% sure. I believe it will only update when you access the DS Ware shop....or maybe it will force an update to play certain DS Ware games. Regular DS games won't ask about updating because they won't do that on a regular DS and at that point the DSi probably goes into a standard DS mode where it looks like a regular DS to the network. I'd imagine that it will NEVER just update without your approval first though.

What you asked IS a very good question though. It would be interesting to know more about how it will attempt to update or what-all things will trigger the update process.

5. WarriorMJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    Rayder knows what I'm talking about, so if someone with an actual DSi could now step in...

6. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    a patch would maybe solve the problem ( the best is cfw )
    but i don't think that they will make so easy the same mistake as the sony psp

7. wildfire95

Member wildfire95 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    When your connected to the internet it would upgrade the firmware mate. So if you dont want to upgrade the firmware stay offline on your NDS..

Good luck with that tho [​IMG]

8. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    I'm also sure that they WILL ask you b4 you update it. I mean like every software we have such as PC,Xbox,PSP,PS3, etc they will ask you b4 upgrading. I doubt they will invade you like that by just auto firmware update unless they REALLY want to stop flashcarts I guess.

9. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    how do you know? [​IMG] [​IMG] do you have one and it forced you to update the fw?

10. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    it should ask you if you want to update and to make sure that the AC adapter it plugged in
    like the PSP

11. Pazuzu

Newcomer Pazuzu Advanced Member

Ireland
    All DSi functions are disabled when you run a DS game, so no worries about connecting to WFC off a DS ROM. It only demands an upgrade when you connect via things like the DSi Shop.

EDIT: Oh, and it prompts you before updating, so you can hit the power button if you don't want to upgrade for whatever reason.

12. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South