NULL

When do you think a new Switch will be released?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by JustAGuy, Jul 6, 2018.

1. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    It’s only been a year, I know, but the Switch has been very successful (I’d say).

I already know about Mariko, but I’m talking about something a lot more major. A complete upgrade instead of just RAM and SoC.

What do you guys think? An article I’ve seen suggested 2022 because of Nintendo stating they want at least a 5-6 year life cycle. I think they have good reason to upgrade earlier though, and I’m interested in hearing other people’s opinions

Last edited by JustAGuy, Jul 6, 2018
  2. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Well the stocks are getting lower so maybe sooner before September or November. The hacks are getting out of control and Nintendo will do something about it

3. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    I would imagine it just being the SoC/RAM upgrade.

I’m referring to a completely revamped model, like a Mk II instead of a V2

4. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    honestly i dont want to think of nintendo pulling an N3DS/DSi to the switch this soon. i'm more less hoping w/ the mariko's that they have added w/ teh ram/SoC, Better thermals and a better battery. as lately im finding myself using my switch more like its a 3DS successor (Portable) than its a WiiU Successor (Console). i belive around the beginning of the year there was an article of nintendo stating there'd be no Refresh (i guess nintendo considering that to be a new generation rather than a "Bugfix" type situation)anytime soon, if at all.

5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Mid November I’ll bet. Christmas sales go through the roof.

6. appleburger

appleburger GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2012
    United States
    Traditionally, newer models come out at the 3 year mark for Nintendo - so I'd say that's likely to be when it comes around.

Higher battery capacity and support for higher resolutions sounds like a good fit for a remodel. I can see the dock being reworked a bit, to have the switch 'snap' into place a bit better, and being less likely to be scratched, as well.

A console only model sounds more reasonable than a handheld only model, if they ever go that route. I know that goes against the entire point of the console, but if the 2DS can be a thing, then I'd bet a cheaper, console only switch can be a thing.

7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    What if the joycons were fixed to save money. I mean, they could make more money by “forcing” the user to buy a controller, unless they make wii controllers compatible with switch.

8. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't be a stretch to see Nintendo patch the CPU, but something to bear in mind is, do they need to rush to fix it? We're a fraction of a fraction of users. Most people aren't even aware of the exploit and even among those that do find out, can they be bothered to to through all these steps for RCM etc?

I've explained the advantages of PC gaming vs console gaming to many people and even with the advantages they just don't care because a console is much less hassle. I just don't see the average person going through the hassle of something like LayeredFS and having to do research. Even more so with Nintendo who have quite a large casual gaming audience.

Clearly it's something they'd rather wasn't an issue, but I don't think they'll be in as much of a rush to fix it as most would expect. You can look at other similar aspects like Jailbreaking or rooting phones, there are clear advantages but people just can't be bothered.

Centergaming and DarthDub like this.
  9. stewacide

stewacide GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2018
    Canada
    With a process shrink on the SoC my guess is they'll launch a cheaper, passively-cooled, portable-only version with fixed controllers and a smaller screen, as more of a direct DS replacement. Switch Mini or whatever.

Ty_ likes this.
  10. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Like an equivalent to the 2DS? That's not a bad guess. If they were it'd probably launch around the same time as a mainline Pokemon game

11. RAGER

RAGER GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Russia
    OR, update to Tegra X2, 8Gb RAM, 128Gb internal, 7" screen, better battery with QC, drop price to current Switch and rename it to mini (or call new Switch Maxi ))))