When/after which Movie/Series does the STAR WARS Story ends for you ?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I do not want to make a Poll of this,because there are too many Movies/Series/Spin Off´s/animated Stories.....

As the Title says,when did you say for yourself "Ok,this is the End,Story finished,Case closed..."

After which Movie/Sequel/Prequel/Series.....
Or is it maybe never ENDING for you ?

Please feel free to tell us your personal STAR WARS Story.

Thank you.:)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've only kept up with live action movies/tv. I could never get on with the books and cartoons.

I'm not sure I've seen the ewok movies though.

I don't hate Jar Jar, because I'm not a dick. However J J Abrams has a lot to answer for, but I'll still watch the new one eventually.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Sno0t

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually, I think that 1-3 are bashed unnecessarily...
Even though 4-6 are the best of the 9 movies (by far) I think 1-3 were actually good movies (even though I find anakin quite annoying)
Thus to answer your question, it starts with 1, ends with 6 as I find 7-9 utter garbage...

Rogue one and solo were actually quite good though.. Never watched an animation or cartoon... Mandalorian is on my list though

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It may be because I was 6 at the time, but The Phantom Menace was my introduction to the Star Wars universe, so I absolutely loved the prequels, having grown up with them. I watched the original trilogy later on, and while I did like them (and can recognize they were objectively better movies), my own personal image of Star Wars is "blazing fast lightsaber fights, ultra-developed alien cities and actual Jedi", which we barely see in the originals and sequels. Because of that, the prequels will always have a special place in my heart, so I could never ignore them. As for the sequels, I think they were the worst of the bunch, but still decent movies, so the hate is unwarranted. My personal favorite out of the 3 is The Last Jedi, so I guess I have an unpopular opinion on every point. Summing up, it's 1–9 for me.

Hardline

GBAtemp Advanced Fan and Power Metal Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It may be because I was 6 at the time, but The Phantom Menace was my introduction to the Star Wars universe, so I absolutely loved the prequels, having grown up with them. I watched the original trilogy later on, and while I did like them (and can recognize they were objectively better movies), my own personal image of Star Wars is "blazing fast lightsaber fights, ultra-developed alien cities and actual Jedi", which we barely see in the originals and sequels. Because of that, the prequels will always have a special place in my heart, so I could never ignore them. As for the sequels, I think they were the worst of the bunch, but still decent movies, so the hate is unwarranted. My personal favorite out of the 3 is The Last Jedi, so I guess I have an unpopular opinion on every point. Summing up, it's 1–9 for me.

No, you're right .. Star Wars is good :teach::bow:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Star Wars Christmas Special :angry:

Everything that came after that is a fanfic :angry:

If you mean Star Wars holiday special, then that came out November 17, 1978

It's kinda unique to hate Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi.

I'm not triggered by the prequels, or the special editions. George had a lot of money and some personality issues.

The new sequels are annoying because they wasted the opportunity, they did it in the crappy way that some directors make films with disappointing endings to be "edgy". After seeing the force awakens, I didn't think I would prefer it to the next one.

Rogue One was also pretty crap, because they wanted to be clever. I quite liked Solo, they managed to try to not be so clever on that one & only messed up some minor points.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you mean Star Wars holiday special, then that came out November 17, 1978
It's kinda unique to hate Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi.
Hate? I never said that.

Here's the thing. Everyone is ragging on the new films and how they "made the EU non-canon" and how they "ruined Star Wars forever". The prequel trilogy did the same, got flack for it too. But what most people don't know or care about, Empire Strikes Back did the same. (So did Return of the Jedi, but to a much lesser extent.) The first film generated a ton of supplemental material, novels, merchandise, and there was already a pretty large expanded universe, which, for better or for worse, included the Holiday Special, and then the second movie came out and dumped half of it. And part of the charm of the first film (and the EU that came with it) was that it was a low budget sci fi schlock typical of the time, and didn't really take itself so seriously, before it turned into some grand epic saga, and there's something to be said about that.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hate? I never said that.

Here's the thing. Everyone is ragging on the new films and how they "made the EU non-canon" and how they "ruined Star Wars forever". The prequel trilogy did the same, got flack for it too. But what most people don't know or care about, Empire Strikes Back did the same. (So did Return of the Jedi, but to a much lesser extent.) The first film generated a ton of supplemental material, novels, merchandise, and there was already a pretty large expanded universe, which, for better or for worse, included the Holiday Special, and then the second movie came out and dumped half of it. And part of the charm of the first film (and the EU that came with it) was that it was a low budget sci fi schlock typical of the time, and didn't really take itself so seriously, before it turned into some grand epic saga, and there's something to be said about that.

I remember as 7 Year young Child,reading the Book of STAR WARS.....WOW......
Then I saw the first Movie..... WOOOOOWWWWW...
Second......really great but not soooo WOW
Third....really great too but also not soooo WOW...

I love the FIRST Movie from 1977 - Cinema Version it is called in German.
No Digital Effects,no Crap..pure STAR WARS.
Thank God I HAVE this original Version of this Movie.

5+6 ok "completes a little the Story",but really necessary ???

1-3 .......nice but.....unnecessary ???

all Movies/Series after that.......*sigh*

I am not the Guy,who asks "Were did they come from" and "When started the Rebel War....."

The Book and first Movie is and was my STAR WARS.:)
...and so I always want to be able to remember it.

Thank you.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I liked Dark Forces. Jedi Knight and its expansion packs I did not play so much. Jedi Knight 2 was fun. Academy was a bit so so in the end but I had some fun in multiplayer on LAN. Did also see a fun series of short cartoons on cartoon network back in the day. Oh and there were a few flying games that were fun, and a tech demo magic game that was amusing for a while.

I hear there are some films as well but if I have seen them then I can't really remember them.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hate? I never said that.

How else was I supposed to interpret "Everything that came after that is a fanfic :angry:"?

The first film generated a ton of supplemental material, novels, merchandise, and there was already a pretty large expanded universe, which, for better or for worse, included the Holiday Special, and then the second movie came out and dumped half of it.

Can you give examples of things that were dumped?

Here's the thing. Everyone is ragging on the new films and how they "made the EU non-canon" and how they "ruined Star Wars forever".

Maybe within your circle of friends. I don't care at all about the expanded universe. I personally thought force awakens was bad with:

Rey being a jedi without any effort.
Finn being able to fight with a light saber the first time he sees one.
Re-use the end of a new hope but make it boring.
Not giving Han, Luke and Leia a mission together.
Snook the big floating head, the least scary villain ever

Last Jedi raised the question, why bother with death stars and starkiller base when you could just make thousands of hyper drives and launch them at your enemies? None of this lumbering through space or charging time that gives them time to escape or mount an attack.

Last edited by smf,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
How else was I supposed to interpret "Everything that came after that is a fanfic :angry:"?
I never said I hated fanfics :ha:

Can you give examples of things that were dumped?
Well, the Holiday Special, for one. :ha:

Splinter of the mind's eye. The story became "secondary canon", meaning "not", and the whole overall tone is completely different from what the movies would become.

Speaking of tone and details, the original "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" (pre-)novelization fleshed out the first film with stuff in the prologue, epilogue and chapter intros that wasn't picked up by the movies.

Supplemental materials of the time (magazines, toys, cards, backs of cereal boxes) extrapolated broadly from the first film and there were things like Luke Skywalker's father as a separate character from Darth Vader (because well duh).

When the big reveal came in Empire Strikes Back, a lot of people felt it was very contrived, because it contradicted the first film in a huge way.

The question is "When/after which Movie does the STAR WARS Story end for you ?" How is stopping at the first film any less valid of a stance than stopping at the third and rejecting the prequels, or stopping at the first 6 and rejecting the new trilogy?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never said I hated fanfics :ha:

But you used the angry emotion. Maybe you should express yourself clearer?

Well, the Holiday Special, for one. :ha:

Not by ESB or ROTJ though. Holiday Special has unused footage of someone who died in Star Wars, leading them to say it's the same actor but playing a different character. Something that contradicts itself isn't particularly cannon in the first place. I don't think it was ever really considered such. The boba fett cartoon inspired Mandalorian and life day is cannon in that, but I was a little sick in my mouth when they mentioned it.

Splinter of the mind's eye. The story became "secondary canon", meaning "not", and the whole overall tone is completely different from what the movies would become.

Splinter of the mind's eye has it's own issues but again it's not ESB or ROTJ that caused them.

Speaking of tone and details, the original "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" (pre-)novelization fleshed out the first film with stuff in the prologue, epilogue and chapter intros that wasn't picked up by the movies.

It was written before the film was complete, like the comics it's always been historically inaccurate.

When the big reveal came in Empire Strikes Back, a lot of people felt it was very contrived, because it contradicted the first film in a huge way.

From a certain point of view. I actually think George covered that in a realistic way, in real life people lie all the time so why wouldn't Ben tell a sanitized version of the story if he was trying to convince Luke to go with him.

The question is "When/after which Movie does the STAR WARS Story end for you ?" How is stopping at the first film any less valid of a stance than stopping at the third and rejecting the prequels, or stopping at the first 6 and rejecting the new trilogy?

Are you saying that the arguments you're making against ESB and ROTJ are only to show how arguments against the prequels and new sequels are dumb? Because you haven't made it clear at all. The story hasn't ended for me. I am going to see the new one tomorrow. There may come a time when I decide not to watch any more Star Wars films, I don't know what would trigger it. As you've pointed out the films have always had issues.

Last edited by smf,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Splinter of the mind's eye has it's own issues but again it's not ESB or ROTJ that caused them.
Splinter of the mind's eye was supposed to be the plot to a planned low-budget movie sequel in case A New Hope wasn't (as) successful and the sequel couldn't get a big budget. For a while this was the official sequel and the official continuation of the Star Wars story. But then the first film exploded and the sequel got a huge budget and they could afford to film a bigger story, and also sign up Harrison Ford (who had only signed up for the first film, and they didn't know if they would be able to afford him for the second); this is why Han Solo doesn't appear in the story.

Then ESB came out and it basically made "Splinter" not happen.

Are you saying that the arguments you're making against ESB and ROTJ are only to show how arguments against the prequels and new sequels are dumb?
Yes.

Because you haven't made it clear at all.
You have to sorta read between the lines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played