1. Yes!

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 8 voter(s)
  1. Titanica

OP Titanica As mature as a Seventh Grader!

United States
    What's your favorite piece of classical literature? What's your favorite classic? Do you even like classic literature? Let me know! I wanna see what people think.

My favorite classic is And Then There Were None. If that doesn't count, then it's Of Mice and Men.

Shadowfied and brickmii82 like this.
  2. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Through the Looking-Glass

AlanJohn and Titanica like this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    If you ask me to define classical literature it is going to be published way before things where I could easily still find someone today that remembers them being published -- the two examples in the OP are from the late 1930s*. Even the 1800s is pushing it somewhat and I would go pre industrial revolution/age of steam, and I could see arguments for pre Gutenberg's press (mid 1400s) which also typically corresponds to the end of the middle ages.

*what counted as a new book back then was odd as well. I have a few books (re)published in the 60s that ponder the greater staying power of things published around then in the opening notes. Or if you prefer the first Game of Thrones book was published in 1996 and is still considered contemporary.

In my case I am going to be thinking Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and the aftermath of those for most of mine. In which case the Aeneid (the Roman answer/counterpoint to the Iliad) would be mine, though some of the batshit stuff from elsewhere will put in an appearance (I love mythology and folklore, less keen on the Christian stuff but that tends to be because it was rammed down my throat for decades in school, though if we do go looking at the real history of it all then I am more interest). Because I am a nerd then Beowulf will be noted in this despite it possibly being outside the period known as Classical antiquity (some 1000 years from a bit after BCE 500).

4. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I've only recently started to read classic literature after being ignorant towards it during high school. I have a lot of catching up to do :teach:

Currently my favorite book is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'm somewhat of a fan of his writing style, it feels quite modern given it was written in the early 20th century. Right now I've started to read Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men and a Boat ( to say nothing of the dog)".

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...does Orwell's 1984 count? Or HP Lovecraft's work? :unsure:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula are also pretty readable. As is Stevenson's Dr Jekyll & mr Hyde.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Moby dick.

Only book I liked.

Titanica likes this.
  7. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I’ve enjoyed Shakespeare throughout my life quite a bit, and recently began studying the Epic of Gilgamesh and it’s history and nuances.

8. ParazitU

ParazitU Newbie
    Newcomer

Romania
    Dunno if it counts, but animal farm and 1984 by George Orwell

9. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    I would have to go with The Aeneid of Virgil. Way more interesting that Dante's trilogy imo and interesting enough to be on par with Lord of the Rings if you ask me.

10. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    How much "classical"?
    With "classical" I think about at the ancient works as Aeneid, Kojiki, The Egyptian Book of the Dead, the whole Plato and Aristotele's works.
    Witch "classic" I think at Jung, Francis Scott Fitzgerald, Tolkien, Kant, Nietzsche, the Grimm brothers, Thomas More, Shakespeare, Gabriele d'Annunzio, Luigi Pirandello, Giacomo Leopardi, Dante Alighieri, Boccaccio, Petrarca...

11. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    That one book by King Solomon that curses you.

12. Agahniim

Agahniim Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    The Great Gatsby got me into reading. First book I actually liked reading and I read it in one sitting

13. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Indeed if this counts, same. Love this book. The 1945 movie is also really good even today.

Titanica likes this.
  14. alexander1970

alexander1970 Try to Live in here and now.

Austria
    Herman Melville - The Whale (1851) ^_^

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Not really, no.
    I've read a bunch of the german classics, both in school and just out of interest, like Faust, Nibelungs, some Kafkas, many I'm to lazy to look for a potential english title.
    Few of them captured me, Faust a little, but most other things, no... and I wouldn't wanna reread any of them.

The ones I liked were all much more recent and usually childrens literature. Like Brothers Lionheart, Momo or Peter Pan.

Haven't read a lot recently at all

16. Sir_Mix_A_Lot

Sir_Mix_A_Lot Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    "The Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoyevsky
    "The Captain's Daughter" by Pushkin
    "Mozart & Salieri" by Pushkin

17. Limoon

Limoon Member
    Newcomer

Turkey
    John Steinbeck is great, i have to read east of eden but the stuff i've read of him so far is great

Titanica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - literature, classical, favorite