What’s your favorite game controller?

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'know, I really like Xbox 360 controllers, but only if they're well-worn (:
I also like two Joy-Cons in the little slider thingy. It's a lot better than most people give credit for.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have two favorites:

* PS4 dual shock. It's just all-round nice. I bought one solely on the premisse of having held it in the store for some minutes, and haven't regretted it one bit (note: I do not have a PS4).
* wiiu regular gamepad. Yes, it's bulky, large and such. But hey...IT HAS ITS OWN SCREEN!!! I know that makes it somewhat more an actual handheld than a controller, but still: it has its own screen
Probably an unpopular opinion but I love the Wii remote with the nunchuk
Not at all: I like your choice more than many others. The wii only had a handful of lightgun games (house of the dead overkill and sin & punishment 2 are the ones I can think of right now), but for these games, the controller was the very best on the planet, hands down.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now it's GameCube,

But when I was a kid it was the Dreamcast

I loved the quirky circular design, but most importantly, those little memory cards you could use to play with your Chao were the stuff off dreams

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Wiimote + Nunchuck is still one of the most comfortable controllers ever made. It could use a couple more buttons and another stick though.
It existed in the form of a prototype. It had 4 buttons around the main button (in the shape of X and Y on the GC controller, but much smaller).

BTW 2 Nunchuks can serve as an N64 controller replacement for most games (except that there is no start button). Feels pretty comfortable but you need an adapter for PC or have to wait for N64 Mini (if it should ever come out).

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I might have to go with the Dualshock 4. While I miss the select button, I think that it's more comfortable than the DS3.

However I also like the 360 controller and think that the Gamecube controller was Nintendo's best.

D

Deleted User

NES Advantage for sure („slow-motion“ + rapid fire :gun:) . Still have it lying around - love the design.

images

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Right now, it's my Xbox One controller that I use for PC gaming. There's just something super comfortable the controller compared to really any other controller, I can see why Nintendo and most other companies tend to copy the style of this controller. My second would be the Gamecube controller and I feel like that goes without the need for explaining.

Reactions: IncredulousP

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't pick just one. Some of my favorites are:
Smash Wii U GameCube Controller - I got the white one. It's super well built and glad they started manufacturing GC controllers again. Only really works super well for Nintendo's games, though.
Power A Wired Controller for Xbox One - I like it more than the OEM Xbox One gamepads, to be honest. My one major complaint is that it feels too light.
OEM Sony DualShock 2 Controller - This is one of the best designed controllers of all time. Button sizes are perfect, handles are comfortable, rumble is great. No complaints, really.

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For overall general play I'd have to say the PlayStation Dual Shock style gamepads. So far, the PS4 is the best, but we'll have to see what the PS5's gamepad is like.

For fighting games genesis 6 button style pads are great.

I tend to stay away from 360 type pads.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
GCN is a great one. I have both a wired and a Wavebird.

My favorite system is N64, and while not perfect, the Hori Mini is far better than the original N64 three pronger. It breathes new life into platformers.

No love here for the Switch Pro? I understand the disappointment in the dpad, but so far mine has been fine. And at least it doesn’t drift like my Joy Cons, which make DQ fucking impossible by flipping through the dialog boxes before I can read them.

OneAngryGamer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I am used to the PS4 controller, been using it for years. However I enjoy greatly the Switch Pro Controller, as of right now its the PS4 controller. Still, the Switch Pro Controller has great potential.
Perhaps after years of usage the Switch Pro Controller will replace my favorite PS4 controller.

supernintendo128

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GameCube controller is the best controller I have ever held in my hands. Nothing Nintendo has made since has come close to beating it.

While we're on the subject, I used to <i>hate</i> the Dualshock 2 when I was a kid. It felt big and bulky in my hands. Recently, I dug out the PS2 so I can play Persona 3 FES and the Dualshock 2 feels much better than I remember it to be. My hands must be bigger now.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a stickler for great dpads, so on that alone I'm going with the wireless Xbox One controllers. I have never, ever felt a better dpad. Perfectly clicky, perfectly concave <3. Not so much a fan of the bumber/trigger on it though, but I never have been for xbox. Or PS for that matter.

My Second favorite is the wiimote+nunchuck. You can position your two hands WHEREVER. They don't get cramped from being stuck together like a typical controller.

Third favorite? N64. Yes. N64. Find a more accurate, linear-pressure analog stick. I'll wait.
All it needs is a soft thumb cap for the stick.

Gamecube is nicely shaped, but the buttons are awful. They are mushy, from the A/B buttons to the triggers/shoulders. Plus the dpad, that thing's an absolute joke. Completely unusable. Make the buttons clicky, the dpad useful, triggers firm, and you got yourself a nice controller.

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox one controller for sure. I know most people prefer the xbox 360 but I like how the triggers on the xbox one controller are rounded so my fingers form around them better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Mondooooo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIyM_akS9Z8 +1