Hardware What's wrong with the Dpad?

VresiBerba

OP
Trophies
XP
I have never used a Wii before and can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, but out of three consoles and three Wiimotes, none of them responds using the dpad. They all sync up together; all three controllers 'work' on all three consoles. On all of them, the +,- and Home buttons work, but none of the dpads work. Two of the consoles goes directly to a menu, I can flick pages back and fourth using the + and - buttons and another menu pops up when pressing 'Home' and the power button works on all three and it both starts the console as well as shutting in off, but that's it. the 'A' button does nothing and the dpad is dead. On one of the consoles I get stuck at choosing language, but gets passed the health warning page where you're prompted to press 'A'.

Two of the consoles are from the same seller with two Wimotes. One console is bought working separately and one controller was gifted to me as working. Syncing seems to be working, the controllers hum, buzz and tweets and the first bottom blue led is on when synced, all four flashes when not. Batteries are new and works, obviously.

A Google search comes up with one hit, and that's it. So either I'm doing something wrong or I have hit the motherload of RNG errors no-one has ever heard of, having the same fault on either all three consoles or all three controllers.

Any ideas?

VresiBerba

OP
Trophies
XP
Right. Can someone at least confirm if I'm doing something wrong, I have never used a Wii before. Is the dpad supposed to work at all on the menu screen?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right. Can someone at least confirm if I'm doing something wrong, I have never used a Wii before. Is the dpad supposed to work at all on the menu screen?
No you are meant to point the wiimote at the tv and use the in built motion controls to move the on screen cursor in the home menu.

Reactions: Alexander1970

VresiBerba

OP
Trophies
XP
No you are meant to point the wiimote at the tv and use the in built motion controls to move the on screen cursor in the home menu.
A cursor? Okay, I have no cursors from either controller on either console. Is the controller like a wireless mouse?

Edit; Wait, at the TV? Isn't it Bluetooth?

Last edited by VresiBerba,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
A cursor? Okay, I have no cursors from either controller on either console. Is the controller like a wireless mouse?

Edit; Wait, at the TV? Isn't it Bluetooth?
Do you have a sensor bar? It looks like a long black rectangle and it should be plugged into your system and pointed at the player.
It's basically just four IR LEDs that the Wiimotes can see and position the cursor on screen in relation to it.

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You need sensor bar
xP2fs8bBhfJQLnDG7

Like this one.
You place on top of tv.

VresiBerba

OP
Trophies
XP
Well, two candles solved it :huh: I'm apparently missing a vital component to make this thing work; a 1980's technology IR sensor bar. That's... I'm at a complete loss for words, but now they work, everything. So thanks.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, two candles solved it :huh: I'm apparently missing a vital component to make this thing work; a 1980's technology IR sensor bar. That's... I'm at a complete loss for words, but now they work, everything. So thanks.
Yeah, candles work, but only temporarily. Unless you want to keep swapping them out, I'd suggest getting a sensor bar.

VresiBerba

OP
Trophies
XP
Yeah, candles work, but only temporarily. Unless you want to keep swapping them out, I'd suggest getting a sensor bar.
Yes, I suppose I would, though this is going to be a dedicated Nintendont machine so no Wiimote is really needed.

What's interesting though is now that I finally got things to work I tested out one of the games that came with the console (it was sold as an untested bundle with all sorts of rubbish (no sensor bar though)) and when Disney Infinity loaded it told me that this game need a Nunchuck to run and prompted me to hook one up. Why couldn't Nintendo inform me upon start that I needed to hook up the sensor bar since it appears it's a vital component and the Wii is just a paper weight without it. That's just stupid.

Anyhoo, again thanks for the help. The Homebrew Channel is now installing and onto Nintendont!

Reactions: jeannotte

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Why couldn't Nintendo inform me upon start that I needed to hook up the sensor bar since it appears it's a vital component and the Wii is just a paper weight without it. That's just stupid.
That info was probably in a physical manual or quick start guide. Back in 2006, it wasn't much of a trend to provide guidance through software.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Install some sort of preloader such as Priiloader (works on all models) or BootMii as boot2 (if supported on your Wii). This will allow you to forego using the Wii remote at all if you plan to use a GC Pad. Once installed, you just hold the reset button when you power on the console and you can navigate using the gamepad to what you wish to boot.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Install some sort of preloader such as Priiloader or BootMii as boot2 if supported on your Wii. This will allow you to forego using the Wii remote at all if you plan to use a GC Pad. Once installed, you just hold the reset button when you power on the console and you can navigate using the gamepad to what you wish to boot.
Or autoboot USB Loader GX using Priiloader, which can launch channels, ISO/WBFS as well as homebrew all from one interface and supports GC controller :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.