What's wrong with my laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by SERN, Nov 7, 2015.

1. SERN
    OP

SERN Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    France
    Computer experts i need your help! Whats happening to my laptop? Some reason my laptop screen won't turn on but when i tried connecting it to a display this happens. Something to do with graghics card or something? I'm a noob so yeah. I have no idea what is happening. IS this fixable?

[​IMG]

2. 4ur0r

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    It happened to me twice, and twice the graphic card was broken. But before jumping to conclusion, could you try with a different cable (HDMI/DVI/VGA)?

3. SERN
    OP

SERN Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    France
    I'm an absolute noob on computer stuff but is it possible to replace the graphic card for a laptop or nah?

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well that looks like video ram corruption due to either broken video ram or broken gpu writing shit on the video ram, so almost sure it is a broken "graphic card" (actually a chip soldered into the mainboard).
    It is not really fixable on a consumer laptop, unless you want to experiment resoldering the chip, but I wouldn't even think about that.

PS: Best case scenario you are using some GPU that uses system RAM for video memory and your RAM is actually broken, you can change the RAM, but I believe this is almost improbable.

4ur0r likes this.
  5. SERN
    OP

SERN Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    France
    Alright thanks!

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is this is just in windows or does it do it from the first screen? If the former then you can do something like uninstall the drivers and run on the basic inbuilt graphics functionality. It will be slow for things like games and video but will work. If the latter then it is not good news, not that the other option was much better, and if you still have a warranty then I would consider using that. I am not entirely familiar with French warranty law, assuming you flag is accurate, but many European countries will have decent consumer protection -- the UK has one called the sale of goods act which means items technically have a warranty for their reasonable life (so 5 years for a laptop is good) and you can probably get something done there.

Otherwise yeah it looks like the graphics chip is on the way out. If you have a dual graphics chip laptop then go to the other, if you know someone that can redo BGA (it is a fairly high end and less common electronics manufacture/repair technique so maybe not) then maybe consider that and finally there are options for many newer laptops to drop the wireless card and put a desktop graphics card in there instead (the wifi usually goes over a version of PCIe so you buy a 40 Euro adapter and plug it in that -- http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html would be an example of one such device).

7. SERN
    OP

SERN Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    France
    Latter.. Oh wells. Its a pretty old laptop anways so warranty is absolutely gone. Thanks for the help!