What's the most hackable E-Reader?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'test'.. sure.
Since this is GBATemp and we're all just pirates anyway though...

The iPhone is pretty hackable, if you use Bookshelf or Stanza you can import your own library or even host it on a website if you have a domain.

If you want just an ereader and you don't mind a wait, I highly suggest looking into the Readius. Clearly it'll be the best one out I've been following it for a while now.

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by 'hack' exactly. I don't think you can do much in the way of running anything custom there's a lack of horsepower and... what else do you want the thing to do?
Just about every e-book reader supports non-DRM formats, it's all a matter of what flavors you want.

Sony has a nice touchscreen, but is the most expensive.
Kindle is a little behind (plus they steal your books) but still solid.
BeBeeok is the most open in terms of formats and is relatively cheap.
Nook is a newcomer, but looks very promising. You won't get one until well after Christmas, though.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue Zoidberg said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'hack' exactly. I don't think you can do much in the way of running anything custom there's a lack of horsepower and... what else do you want the thing to do?
Just about every e-book reader supports non-DRM formats, it's all a matter of what flavors you want.

Sony has a nice touchscreen, but is the most expensive.
Kindle is a little behind (plus they steal your books) but still solid.
BeBeeok is the most open in terms of formats and is relatively cheap.
Nook is a newcomer, but looks very promising. You won't get one until well after Christmas, though.
Sorry to say, but just about all of those are just terrible eReaders. :/

They're the popular ones people know of, but before those were even getting ready to come out, there were better ones. They're like the iPhone in the way that Nokia's were doing better things years before.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue Zoidberg said:
I'm sorry, I thought he wanted an e-book reader and not a phone. For that matter, just grab dslibris for the DS, it's free.
The Readius is nice but paying more money for less landscape and no e-pub support out of the box.
Considering the fact that you can literally use the iPhone as a Kindle (with the software) or othrs like Sanza, while it is a phone, it's also an eReader. You could use an iPod touch for the same idea, but considering hte price, it's lulzy. However if looking for a phone, obviously worth it.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue Zoidberg said:
What separates e-readers from things like internet tablets and phones is the e-paper/e-ink technology. You can use something like a phone as a tiny, eye watering reader or use a dedicated device that reduces eye strain and has a respectable screen.
I've been following e-Paper technology for a while, in fact I own some from india ink. Thing is, if you've used an iPhone with any reputable reader on you'd notice that it replicates it quite well and doesn't hurt the eyes (unless you're an idiot who turns the light up to 101).

If you're going to bother getting something dedicated to SOLELY reading books (one more thing to carry on that only serves ONE purpose), wait for the Readius, at least it scrolls open so that it folds into itself, or go get the Rex (You can also write on it).

EDIT:
Well, Polymer Vision (Readius developers) flopped and went bankrupt, but Wistron (basically the Readius) is coming out early 2010.

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Almost all e-books readers support some form of non-DRM format so 'previewing' books is as simple as buying them. the iRex would be nice, if it wasn't for the price (twice as much as the sony equivalent) and battery life (compared to the forerunners). Readius would be nice, if it ever comes out which is doubtful, if the price was around $199 or less.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I agree. I would love to hack any of those fancy eBook readers, the screen is just too nice, but I'm not paying 10 dollars for a book I can download for free and read on my lower quality screen.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have the sony prs-505. that has drm and non drm pdf support with reflow if the pdf allows it. battery life is great, 2 weeks or 8000 page turns. it is a 6 inch screen, and besides some pages from the full metal alchemist manga that has too mall of writing to read, everything i put on is good. i want to get a 7in or the colout fujitsu. but 1k on something that does not read epub is not worth it.

the prs 300 has a small 5 inch screen which fits in your pocket, from what i hear. and the prs 600 have touch screen with note writing abilities.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the current problem is the price for these things with not enough functionality.

I would have went with the Readius even for 400 because of folding meaning it easily fits in a shirt pocket or any nook and cranny.

Rogue_Ninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Nook ships on 12/11 the first shipment was sold out. One of the features that sold me on it was that it supports a micro sd card which is something the kindle does not do at the moment.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really see the point in e-readers when netbooks cost just about as much and do just about everything (excluding serious gaming and whatnot...)

rctgamer3

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The most hackable e-Reader is of course the Nintendo e-Reader
laugh.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only point in having an e-Reader is the eInk screen making it a lot easier on your eyes so that you can read for hours or days on end without hurting your eyes.

However it's obviously not worth 300 dollars for something that literally can say it ONLY does that and supports 3 formats WOOHOO big friggin' deal you support 3 formats that you SHOULD be supporting off the bat, they should ALL be supporting the different formats, they should also be supporting CBR/CBZ as the majority of ebooks pirated or not, are in that format.

Either way it really isn't worth it AT THE MOMENT.

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's also weight to consider. E-readers weight about half of less than a netbook.

As for comics, all the major readers support some form of image format (jpg, png) so unloading the comics into individual folders and viewing them. BeBook is supposed to support zip & rar formats which is what a cbr/z file is anyway. Rumor has it sony's .lrf file format can be manipulated to make comic friendly files, but there's next to no documentation on the format at the moment.
This is one place that I'd have to grudgingly say the iphone actually shines. the 'mycomics' program is very well done and you get a color screen (albeit it a small one).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1