Hacking What's the difference between the sd card classes?

smudgydonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do games run smoother? I was also wondering whether it really mattered if I get a class 2or 4 since Best Buy doesn't seem to stock class 4 cards that aren't PNY.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The class of a card generally means how fast the constant read/write speed is, but it also can effect response time.

I'd go with a Class 4 or better. Class 2 may be too slow for some games.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
class x means read/write minimum afaik. Although it might be possible some cards are faster than indicated, it's rather unlikely. Class 4 seems to be the best (some class 6 have been seen to actually induce problems). That said, I've a Class 6 Transcend (brand, so not just SD
wink.gif
) 8GB ... no problems found.

Oh yeah, brand of card still says more than an indication ... browse around for names, I think Kingston (Taiwan, or was it Japan?) and Transcend were usually the better ones I think. Haven't been looking for a while though, best is to check other flash-card brands and see with which they have trouble with ...

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
commdante said:
class x means read/write minimum afaik. Although it might be possible some cards are faster than indicated, it's rather unlikely. Class 4 seems to be the best (some class 6 have been seen to actually induce problems). That said, I've a Class 6 Transcend (brand, so not just SD
wink.gif

Oh yeah, brand of card still says more than an indication ... browse around for names, I think Kingston (Taiwan, or was it Japan?) and Transcend were usually the better ones I think. Haven't been looking for a while though, best is to check other flash-card brands and see with which they have trouble with ...
Link? Or just speculation?

Kaoz360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ShatteredScreens said:
commdante said:
wink.gif

Link? Or just speculation?

Well you would say that wouldnt you as you are expecting a nice fast sandisk 8gig ultra class 6 soon(Sad as i only have the 4gig version)
tongue.gif

I must say though that sandisk are a very solid relable card and my ultra class 6 runs smooth with no problems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/qRuNxHqwazs?si=0AhJg_9A8kf-V0iF