Gaming What's the difference between Arcade and a regular 360?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
My friend told me that the only difference was the the Arcade didn't support XBL (which would be fine with me actually because I refuse to play a monthly fee for something that should be free) and he also said it won't support the "new XBox experience"... the new firmware thing or whatever it is that's coming out soon. (He said that the new firmware will need more space in the drive than the arcade has)

So are there any other differences? Are the differences in pricing huge? Do most Arcades have LiteOn drives? And is it possible to hook up an external drive to the 360 and use the memory from there?

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
That's all bull. Xbox Arcade can go on xbl (I've done it to get the divx update) and it will be able to get the new update. The only difference is the hard disk which you can add later. You can hook up a external hard disk via usb but you can only use it to play mp3s and video.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So, the ONLY downside to an Arcade is the fact that the hard drive has basically no capacity? Because I saw that they are usually going for $200, which is... affordable, I suppose. (It's hard when you don't have a job and don't get allowance...)

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Ohhhh, I see. What is the hard drive for anyway? I know that later on it was rumored that you can install the games to your hard drive so they can run faster... so I guess I would need it for that. Anything else though?

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dude, with 1600 (
ohmy.gif
) post I think you should know about searching before posting
tongue.gif

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108575

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hm...you're right, that link did help me out some. I think I will get an arcade after all... becuase I don't need to download videos, demos, and all that crap. I just want to be able to play games and maybe go Live. I can always buy a new hard drive later.

S

spectral

The HDD is used exactly like a memory card is used only it has much more space. You may need to buy a bigger memory card though as I read the new xbox update will require 256MB which would fill the memory card that comes with the arcade leaving little if any room for saves,etc.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yay lol, that means I won't need to get a new memory card. (Though I probably will though)

I dunno... I have 70 bucks store credit at GameStop, so I might just get the new 20 Gb model...but I think those are ALL Lite-On, since they just came out. I don't want to get a Lite-On and have to wait until a hack is developed. I'm only getting a 360 if I have a chance to mod it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You still have the chance to mod even if you do get a lite-on. The key and spoof info can be extracted from them , so can switch to an older hackable drive now. If you want to wait for the lite-on to be flashed , rather than having to switch it to an older hackable drive , you could be waiting a long time.

michaelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The arcade is also missing out on component (the HD) cables and a wireless controller. It's not just the hard drive.

On a side note, if you think $50 a year for live is a waste then you should try playing a game and being able to communicate with your friends on another console. I don't think I truly appreciated it until I tried going online with the PS3 and I only had to coordinate with one person.

SeZMehK

The Wielder of the Keyblade
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This makes me feel like I should take advantage of the special sale at gamestop this weekend. A used/refurb 360 + 2 used games under 29.99 for a price of $199

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
But wait, I just realized something about the Arcade. :\ It doesn't have a hard drive... at ALL. So how am I gonna mod it to play back ups if there's no hard drive to mod?! D: That means if I want to mod a 360, I'm gonna have to get either an old Pro or Elite, or get the 20Gb model and do the spoof (which would be kind of pointless ince I'd have to buy ANOTHER drive)

Or am I mistaken?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRM_pe7IZeQ