Homebrew What's the current NES emulator?

GatorDeb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I downloaded NESDS it has a room builder that spits out a GBA file and a .bin file... am I missing something or is .bin == .nds? Can I just rename it?

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NESds is where its at!
biggrin.gif
Minus a few games that don't work properly, (punch-out, batman, earthbound etc) it is one of the best nes emulators out there. It even has a rewind button! I always feel bad using it though, because you could beat any tough game by just rewinding after you die.

Also, I don't understand what you mean with a "room builder" and .bin file. NESDS should ONLY have "NesDS.nds". You probably downloaded the wrong one. Find a NesDS.zip that extracts to NesDS.nds. Then create a roms folder. Its one of the easiest emulators to use.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
I always just use nesDS. It hasn't been updated in ages because the dev has made it as good as an NES emu can get.
tongue.gif

EARTHBOUND ZERO FTW!!!!
biggrin.gif

(Yeah just ask for help if you ever want to get that ROM to work.
smile.gif
)

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does NesDS work on sdhc cards? I thought i read somewhere i didn't, and when i tried on my sdhc, it didnt' work. On my old sd card, i remember it working.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Guys, don't just say "NesDS", there are different versions out there. The best version of it is NesDS WIP1

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=202937

Yeah, but that version says it came out in 2006. The version I am referring to called NesDS was updated in Aug 2007 by Loopy, the creator of the original Emu. So technically yours might actually be outdated. And from what I heard elsewhere, its actually not as good. But, I should have said which version. Yet I doubt its hard to figure out considering there are like 2 versions. The official and WIP1.

I say go for NesDS by Loopy Aug 2007 version.

EDIT: After just downloading the NesDS WIP1 you linked I can say that it is indeed much more complicated, and ads many steps that are wholly unnecessary. The Loopy version is just one file called nesDS.nds, and that is all you need. This WIP1 has some patcher (makenesDS) that must be used before it can work, and various Arm files. m3rox,no offense, I just feel you are wrong in recommending that as the best. Sorry.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this that emulator which only let's you put only 300mb of room on the card?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
loopy took the save state feature of the work-in-progress version emu_kidd put out. neither ever fixed double dragon II, from what I recall. keep in mind that nesds is pocketnes .997 (i think?) ported to slot1 with dldi. it is very outdated, i've read posts were dwedit admitted he was shocked at how bad the source was.

@jgu1994: nesds works fine on my msd and sdhc cards. what flash kit are you using? some have issues with nesds.

their is also nesds mod, which offers d-pad controls for some touch screen options (like save/load). http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4514

-another world

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
m3rox said:
Guys, don't just say "NesDS", there are different versions out there. The best version of it is NesDS WIP1

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=202937

Yeah, but that version says it came out in 2006. The version I am referring to called NesDS was updated in Aug 2007 by Loopy, the creator of the original Emu. So technically yours might actually be outdated. And from what I heard elsewhere, its actually not as good. But, I should have said which version. Yet I doubt its hard to figure out considering there are like 2 versions. The official and WIP1.

I say go for NesDS by Loopy Aug 2007 version.

EDIT: After just downloading the NesDS WIP1 you linked I can say that it is indeed much more complicated, and ads many steps that are wholly unnecessary. The Loopy version is just one file called nesDS.nds, and that is all you need. This WIP1 has some patcher (makenesDS) that must be used before it can work, and various Arm files. m3rox,no offense, I just feel you are wrong in recommending that as the best. Sorry.

I'm not wrong, you are.

The one I linked to is one where you just put the file on your card, along with a folder where you keep your roms (drag and drop).

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jgu1994 said:
Does NesDS work on sdhc cards? I thought i read somewhere i didn't, and when i tried on my sdhc, it didnt' work. On my old sd card, i remember it working.

I am using it on an SDHC 8GB on M3 Real, NESds works perfectly.

Edit: Oh, and m3rox the version on the OP of the thread you linked to is the one with the batch file that is outdated. The version that you are probably referring to appears farther in the thread as an external d/l. Either version of NesDS is fine though IMO, as the differences are negligible from what I can tell. Heck there is even a newer version that fixes punch-out.

GatorDeb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only seem to be able to find the ones that make you build a gba file with the nes games. Can anyone point me to the download link to the one that is just the nesds.nds that just needs the roms in the same folder? Better if it's an updated version that plays as many roms as possible
smile.gif

Thanks!

Edit: I found one! By searching for "nesds.nds." Works great on Lolo, haven't tried it on Punch Out.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
jgu1994 said:

I am using it on an SDHC 8GB on M3 Real, NESds works perfectly.

Edit: Oh, and m3rox the version on the OP of the thread you linked to is the one with the batch file that is outdated. The version that you are probably referring to appears farther in the thread as an external d/l. Either version of NesDS is fine though IMO, as the differences are negligible from what I can tell. Heck there is even a newer version that fixes punch-out.

Could you link me to the one that fixes Punch-Out? I thought I had the latest version, but I guess I don't.

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
Nester DS Plus was good for playing games like tmnt3 which become unplayable some point into the game or if you need famicom disk system support. nesds is good for ones it supports though

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
I'm not wrong, you are.

The one I linked to is one where you just put the file on your card, along with a folder where you keep your roms (drag and drop).
No, you're in the wrong here. Here's the basic breakdown. Loopy first ported PocketNES to the DS ages ago, but only included save support for slot-2 devices with SRAM, as that's all that anybody ever used at the time. Eventually devices with actual filesystems started coming out, and I believe NES DS was updated to include support for a couple of them. However, devices came out faster than could be handled, and after a while development stopped. The version you linked is emu_kidd's updated version that includes filesystem access code for lots more devices. However, since that time, Loopy made a DLDI-enabled version that renders emu_kidd's version obsolete since it now works on EVERY device (in theory), not just the ones hard-coded into the program.

If you've got a device supported by emu_kidd's version, then yeah it'll work exactly the same for you. But for everyone else (IE, all slot-1 users), it's best to use Loopy's DLDI version.

With older versions, you can package the NES games into the *.nds file itself if you want, but this is only really useful for testing in a DS emulator or for devices that don't have working DLDI files (of which I'm not sure if there are any out there right now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn