Hardware What's the best way to modulate UHF?

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to put a Pi 1 into a 1960 GE TV and I need a better way than using a VCR to modulate a channel. I know I can buy a cheap modulator on Amazon but it would need to be plugged in and would be external. How can I internalise this?

Solution
Some people cut down VCRs, and their RF gear is often better than what is available these days.

Anyway this guy covers some of the things out there.

As for internalising things then what voltages does the transformer of the TV produce? Quite often they will have a lower voltage rail that you could convincingly run a modulator from, and there is usually a fair bit of space inside those old boxes. That or you could tap the mains and run a USB charger or something to give whatever you want 5v.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some people cut down VCRs, and their RF gear is often better than what is available these days.

Anyway this guy covers some of the things out there.

As for internalising things then what voltages does the transformer of the TV produce? Quite often they will have a lower voltage rail that you could convincingly run a modulator from, and there is usually a fair bit of space inside those old boxes. That or you could tap the mains and run a USB charger or something to give whatever you want 5v.

Solution

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 12v TV. I guess I need a VCR to sacrifice then. That seems like the least sinful electronic to cannibalise. I did have general plans to add USB and SD access, I need to choose between the 3 available Pi's I have. I did find out I can use a modulator from an original xbox, but I lack a parts machine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F