Gaming What's so bad about AMD processors?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Anteo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, Shakraka is right, I mean there are processors out there that are better than AMD, but you're not going to lose out on any laptop experiences by getting one, unless you're trying to run too many applications at once xD.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Sigh-

AMD = Best power for your money ratio

Intel = Best use of what power there is.

Put a 3.0GHz Intel v a 3.0GHz AMD, and the Intel makes better use of what it has. Intel is more efficient, and it has a bit more in place to help it out, however the prices against AMD prices are crazy as hell, so it's only if you have the money for them.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The differences are underlying in functions like bus speeds and cache, Intel processors have more which gives them an advantage over AMD in the multi-core market, it was the inverse when the Athlon 64 came out back in the day, AMD had a huge advantage over the Intel Pentium 4.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
yeah main thing differents is the FSB speed (motherboard Speed which effects overall performance) Intel CPU's mainly use a FSB of 333mhz and more L2 and L3 Cache while the standed used by AMD is 200mhz max FSB. When overclocking starting at 333mhz has a huge advantage over AMD because if the CPU multiplier is x9.
That would be a stock speed of 333 FSB X 9 Multi = 2997 or 2.9ghz. But raise the FSB to 400 and you are at 3.6ghz easy (400 x 9 = 3600) and on top of having the CPU running st 3.6ghz you have the extra speed of the FSB running faster which effects the memory and PCI_E speeds aswell so you have a all round system boost. AMD Motherboards normally struggle once you get to about 250 FSB and intel motherboards have and option to unlock the RAM so that the speed of the RAM is not raised at the same time as the FSB which can lead to instabillty if the RAM you are using can not run at faster speeds then it was rated too which takes RAM errors out of the picture and helps stability when overclocking.

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pizzahutmaster said:
Intel gives better performance for a price.

If you are looking for a gaming laptop I suggest this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834101176

more bang for your buck. I actually own the previous model Gateway P-7805u FX

I heard Gateways weren't that great though. Hmm...

I think im going to wait for what my instructors say to get because I dont want to buy a computer now and then regret getting later because it's not powerful enough.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AMD is fine for games if that's what you plan to do as well as Intel.
honestly you won't notice any difference in them performance wise for games since most people have at least 4gb of ram now days.
i'm on a old ass 3.2gig celery D with 756mb of ram though cuz i'm fukken broke! lol jk i have a dual core AMD laptop i use for games otherwise i just use this for web browsing and it runs Linux to take better use of it's limited resources.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...