Whats next after softmoding

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JasmineMay, Jan 10, 2011.

Jan 10, 2011
  1. JasmineMay
    OP

Newcomer JasmineMay Member

United States
    So now I have soft modded my Wii (thanks IRC channel and forum for help)

Whats next, Do I need to setup Priiloader to protect it, or are there any other recommendations on software to install

Following the forum I have Black OPs and even Rockband working so it looks like I all the correct ios.

Are you able to play online or do have to add any other layers of protection ?

2. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Installing priiloader (and disabling disc and online updates) and making a backup of your NAND are recommended in general. Other than that, you can do whatever you want.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    What w! says (the backup of the nand is made by bootmii). Other than that, it's pretty much cosmetic.
    -if your wii is old enough to be able to play backup DVD's, you can install a cMIOS and neogamma to play backup gamecube games
    -getting an USB drive and a decent loader (wiiflow, configurable usb loader) is convenient, especially if you use priiloader and a forwarder to boot into that loader instead of the wii menu.
    -if you can play the game, online works for most, if not all games. There is no need for extra protection (even if you load from USB).

4. JasmineMay
    OP

Newcomer JasmineMay Member

United States
    Thanks guys for the replies. When I softmodded the wii I did a nand backup. Is this some thing that should be backed up monthly ? does it ever change ?

I have a newer Wii so I can not play backuped games from dvd :-(

I have a USB drive connected and load games but will be looking to upgrade the drive shortly as it is pretty small and love how simple configurable usb loader is

Can you recomend a good tut for installing priiloader, PS does it change much from reading it sounds like it sort of inserts its self before the wii menu ? do you need a special controller to use it ?

5. ciris

Member ciris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Alot of these questions youre asking have been answered a million times before (just read) but Ill answer them

"Thanks guys for the replies. When I softmodded the wii I did a nand backup. Is this some thing that should be backed up monthly ? does it ever change ?"

Well, once you have a backup you dont need to back it up monthly unless youre always adding/installing new wads and other things on a regular basis. My wii is at a point now where its set and I dont have to do much else but the occasional update of a ios once in a while. I havent done a backup in months and havent done so since my wii is set (so Im gonna do that asap) Lucky for me I have boot2 so I can experiment alot. I assume you have bootmii as IOS make all the backups you want but be very careful restoring your nand using it on IOS. I would recommend plugging your wii into a battery backup before restoring using bootmii IOS (just to be safe) hopefully youll never have to take it that far.

"Can you recomend a good tut for installing priiloader, PS does it change much from reading it sounds like it sort of inserts its self before the wii menu ? do you need a special controller to use it ?"

As for priiloader, Its an easy install. A tutorial isnt needed, however if you want a tutorial you can find here:

The Complete Softmod Guide (the best compilation of info around imho)
    http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

Just be sure to download the latest hacks.ini from wiibrew run the dol from HBC to install and youre done. Enable/disable the essential hacks and thats it. No need for special controllers as you can use the wiimote to access the options, however if you enable a recovery option (i forgot what it was called) youll need to use a gamecube pad to activate it. Well just read man, and youll find your answers.