Hardware What's After the 3DS?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my thoughts on this is.

I believe in about 3 or 4 years they will make a all NEw handheld system.
The New 3ds is good. Its not a big leap but it does have more power and extra buttons. So there will be more and better games coming for it. So i dont think they will make the jump to another system just yet.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Satoru and Shigeru told me that the next handheld system will be called Game Boy Wii. It will only have one screen. 480p. It's sale debut will be during the first half of 2017.

Reactions: vahnx

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not think most people rember the rumble pack for the DS, included by default?

I had one with the M3 Real I bought. It added absolutely nothing to the game experience. Infact It made it worse for me. If done properly Rumble support could be an added feature but only If done right.

vahnx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Satoru and Shigeru told me that the next handheld system will be called Game Boy Wii. It will only have one screen. 480p. It's sale debut will be during the first half of 2017.

Sign me up! I hope it's cartridge based.

Reactions: SLiV3R

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who expects that the next Nintendo handheld will be using cutting edge technology is in for a disappointment. Nintendo has maintained a hardware philosophy of Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology since the time of Gunpei Yokoi. Even though the mobile gaming market has negatively impacted the quantity of 3DS software, the hyper-evolution of smartphones have created a glut of small-scale HD screens and CPUs. My guess is that NIRD will adapt the parallax barrier to work with HD screens, maintain the two-screen form factor, and swap out the touchscreen for a capacitive version. Backwards compatibility with the previous generation's handheld has historically been a duty of the handheld division of NIRD, when it was NRED and separate from NIRD. Therefore, I don't expect the dual screens or 3D display to be absent from the next Nintendo handheld, although I would be surprised if they somehow manage to have the next ARM processor they use be capable of acting like an ARM9 to keep DS game compatibility. That would make it the first handheld with two generations of backwards compatibility since the GBA.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo have to make any new unit vastly different from a typical phone (and different to Vita) to survive. That means leaving 3D in and sticking with dual screens. I have no doubt the 3DS will be sold for at leat the next 3 years with at least one other revision coming.

what would make me buy
* sunlight-viewable screens
* voice (walkie talkie) between units along with the typical drawing collaboration between units (I've always wanted voice chat)
* an actual effective offline travel clock / organizer / calendar / contacts/ alarm app without using an NSA spyware-infested phone. I think the market for this is huge with kids especially. Especially if Nintendo made it unique and more fun.
* cameras that move beyond VGA :)
* extra-rounded shoulder buttons (similar to 2DS)
* removable battery without using tools
* removable MicroSD without using tools
* USB connectivity (with USB charging cable supplied). This is so long overdue. They can always sell a separate AC adapter for faster charges.
* a nice jump up in performance & resolution (an actual 16:9 screen would be nice too)

branding
* they need to change the branding. It's confusing enough as it is now. "Nintendo Go" or similar branding would be cool

backward compatibility
I'd say this is guaranteed and so I don't think anything radical will be done in a new portable. Nintendo will not take the technical lead so they need something that their phone & Vita competitors don't have. Backward compatibility is a mjaor weapon they'd be crazy not to use. The only reason for not using it would be making something radically new (and maybe offering downloadable older titles on their store rather than DS or 3DS cartridges as some sort of concession). But I guess answers like this depend on lots of things like developer pressure to increase specs, ease-of-development, hardware costs, etc. I have no idea about this world. Part of me wishes for a single-screened console from Nintendo though. Or some sort of radical jump in performance & specs with 2 screens. There is a risk that all the shiny new phones with gorgeous screens (& so on) are changing perceptions of the DS line-up negatively too much.

Reactions: vahnx

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope the 4th dimension means going back in time to re-release older hardware with re-released games on new hardware but exactly as they were game-wise. I would love to play Tetris in sunlight again on a new slim Game Boy using easily-swappable AA batteries but of course with improved hardware, but still a monochrome sunlight-viewable screen (with integrated light when it's dark too).

Nintendo releasing a RETRO line-up with a similar feel to the older hardware (or better feel in the hand) would be cool with all the advancements that have been made since. Especially if they are hard-pressed for cash :) They could re-sell their old games on the new RETRO hardware and finally satisfy so many RETRO fans with some re-released hardware. Another possibility would be to have the console come with some best-selling games pre-loaded, to whet your appetite!

They could do a similar thing with the Game Boy Advance too.

vahnx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo releasing a RETRO line-up with a similar feel to the older hardware (or better feel in the hand) would be cool with all the advancements that have been made since.

Something like that would be cool. I'd like an original Game Boy with an LED screen, viewable in any light with eye tracking 3D (single screen) and the ability to play GB-3DS cartridges/cards plus built in storage (maybe preloaded with every GB game). I've seen some pretty cool mods for the original GB but an official one would be better.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My hopes/predictions:

-Add the New 3DS's extra buttons as a console standard.
-Use proper analog sticks instead of Circle Pads.
-Higher resolution. 480p, most likely.
-Still a dual-screen system, because Nintendo loves backwards compatibility.
-Usable as a controller and alternate display for Nintendo's next home console.
-Vice Versa, you can output the display for handheld games to the home console, in 1080p.
-Trading 3D for higher specs. Maybe later on make a revision that supports 3D when the tech is ready.
-Graphics at least on par with the Wii.
-Support for external controllers that can attach to the console.
-For the love of god, someone at Nintendo come up with a decent name for their consoles.

D

Deleted User

It's going to be a 480p Duel Screened handheld with some shitty gimmick attached that nobody will use. In terms of graphics, it'll probably look like a psp game.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

vahnx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In terms of them requiring a dual screen for backwards compatibility, they could achieve the same thing with a single touch screen. For the modern games, one giant screen then when you play a DS game, it just split screens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.