What would you like to see changed...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Sterling, Sep 5, 2009.

Sep 5, 2009
  1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Let me clear up by what I mean by next - The ones after the HG/SS [​IMG]

Here is what I would like to see:

A complete overhaul of the gameplay mechanics - Trainer Battles would no longer be traditional pokemon turn based battles. They would have a playing field, much like in the shows with terrain to hide behind, and speed would mean more than moving first, it would mean how fast you will be able to move between the obstacles and towards your opponent. You would have strategy as well as needing proper timing to land your attacks. You would pre choose your attack, and when a chance would arise (in the form of a popup screen) you would have to perform a command (eg. a button press, or a sound in the mic, etc.) at the right time, or right order for the attack to hit. The difficulty of the timing increases as the ratio of speed is more unbalanced, but only until a certain point has been reached. All stats in the games now will be kept the way they are. The range of special attacks is longer than physical, and certain moves will have an Area of effect splash, eg. surf.

That all I have, please give a detailed explaination of what you want [​IMG]

2. .:Crimonite:.

Member .:Crimonite:. GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Some nice ideas, but as far as im concerned, probably not going to happen. I think, in terms of battle, It should be the same turn-based fighting scenario. One thing i think has been lacking, ever since the newer gens. of Pokemon is the battle interface. There should be a lot more animations in battle, not just a little bit of animation and some Pokemon shaking. There should be your actual surroundings on the screen, and the Pokemon actually fighting on this terrain, and the terrain reacting realistically to different moves (eg. When a move like 'Flamethrower' is used in an ice terrain, the ice around the Pokemon melts slightly). This should not affect game play though (eg, Pokemon's attacks miss because they slipped on the semi-melted ice), because that would be gay. Also, the camera view should be slightly less overhead, and a bit more behind the character, and the full potential of the DS's 3D utilized, with grass and trees and the like actually having depth. Also, I think the Pokewalker is a great idea. It should make the most of this technology. Also, the Pokewalker having a colour screen would be epic.But whether or not any of this happens, im sure Nintendo will make a killing out of the next Pokemon anyway.

3. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Great thoughts [​IMG] And your right, though I wish something like the above Ideas would be implemented in the next game. Some things may never change unless stirred and heated.

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    The only thing I really want to see changed is having the battles animated in 3D. I really loved almost everything else about Diamond/Pearl. The buildings could have been a little more interesting to look at, but I get what they're going for. Come to think of it, actually, the Pokemon sounds need a major overhaul. They sound like relics from the original Gameboy. I know it's a tall order, perhaps, to ask for animations of hundreds of Pokemon, but hell, DQM - Joker pulled it off, and with an incredible level of detail I might add.

5. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Sounds need an overhaul, definitely. Battles need to be SPED UP. Seriously, the amount of time that is just sitting there waiting is painful. Give me something to do on the bottom screen when I'm watching the Pokemon use their moves. Even if it was just a sketchpad thing, that wiped every time the battle menu reappeared. I think that the animations need to be faster; pour example:
    You click Fight
    (wait 2 seconds)
    You click Bubble
    (wait 2 seconds)
    Squirtle uses Bubble!
    (wait a further 2 seconds)
    (animation plays, wait about 10 seconds)
    (health goes down, wait 5 seconds)
    et cetera.

For a game about grinding (essentially) Pokemon is too slow.

6. .:Crimonite:.

Australia
    Agreed. Pokemon battles are too slow, considering if you think about it, in real life, if you find yourself in a pub brawl, you dont sit there, throw a punch, sit there for a while, take a ounch, sit there for a bit more, throw some beer in there eyes, have a bit of a lol at their blindness, and so on..... Obviously, Pokemon isn't real life, and even if it was, im not saying that it should lose its turn-based element, im just saying it needs to be sped up a bit. That, along with some smooth, 3D graphics and Pokemon that move around and stuff in battle, with some mega epic battle sounds and music [​IMG] would make for some seriously fun, not to mention UN-boring battles. BTW, people. Any ideas, guesses on what the next Pokemon will be about? Personally, i think it should be about a group called Team Supernova or something (keeping with the traditional bad guys names that have something to do with space, ie, Team Rocket, Team Galactic, so on. Also, it should be a game that travels across ALL the regions in Pokeland as well as a new one, each with there own mini storyline and minigames and side-quests. Also, ALL the Pokemon from every game should be included, each found in their respective regions, including legendaries. Also, a Pokedex for each region, as well as another NationalDex. These region PokeDex's should be unlocked as you travel through the different areas. That is all i can think of for now.....

7. Yingxue

Newcomer Yingxue Member

United States
    In Platinum, they sped up the battle system quite a bit. When I went back to play DP I was shocked at how slow it was, haha...

Oh, I HATE this Gen's sprite animations. They feel cheap and underdone. Crystal's were really genuine, not just the Pokemon shaking or warping shape. They animated them in a fashion that seemed realistic for that particular Pokemon. I wish they'd fix it, but...

8. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    id like it to follow the cartoon , have a meowth that talks not stupid red and blue or whatever name but ash and freinds vs gary and team rocket , have it follow the cartoon.
    also have pokemon disobey like angry pikachu or charizard not just have it for trades also mixing up pokemon i.e i use a water attack on your pokemon then switch to thunder does more of a effect.

9. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Have to disagree, Ying, I still find Platinum's battling too slow. Crimon, definitely would be a great idea, but they wouldn't do that. [​IMG] That would be like the most ultimate game ever.. Meaning there would never be a need for another pokemon game. [​IMG] Deathking, although that would be great if it followed the cartoon, it wouldn't make sense (Pikachu beating everything..) but I agree with you on the movematching scenario. If I use, say, Squirt on a Ratata, I should then be able to Shock it and do critical damage!

10. Escape

Member Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wish trading would be faster ><
    it takes like 20 minuets to trade only 6 pokemons :/
    I guess that wont happen in HG/SS as these games can connect to D/P/Pt.

11. omegakyogre

Newcomer omegakyogre Advanced Member

United States
    Dear god, that would be terrible.

How 'bout Game Freak thinks up an original storyline for the first time in 11 years? Something other than an inept criminal organization would be nice.

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I wanna go diagonal god damnit! D: like in ranger! then I wants a skateboard D: I wana be able to catch all the other starters after the E4 >_<

I never want to be able to control the pokemans! if they would improve battling make it somewhat like the FF real time where the bar charges up so, if you have a speedy pokemon you can get more hits in faster!

13. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'd like to be able to beat my pokemon so they learn that they actually need to perform their moves when I tell them to. Being confused or asleep is no excuse for being a terrible pokemon, imo.

14. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    too bad nintendo isnt reading this thread ..xD

15. Sterling
    OP

United States
    lol?

yea thats too bad [​IMG]

16. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    who knows [​IMG]

17. Elechadram

Member Elechadram GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    As said before, the Pokémon games are too slow.. It sucks.. HARD. Does it take so long in the TV-series? No. They just attack, attack and attack.

Like as also said before, it would be cool to fight on real battling areas, and, that you can, just like in the series use many different tactics like "Use your solarbeam on te ground so you will fly into the air and then give that lazy old dude a bodyslam", like that. More tactical.

Also, all pokémon games are nearly all the same; Start your adventure by picking a fellow pokémon, train it, catch other pokémons, make a team, beat all trainers, beat the Elite 4 or something and then, you are the greatest master who has ever existed! Again and again.. *Sigh*.. It would be totally freakin' awesome if Pokémon got combined with uhm.. Final Fantasy? Grand Theft Auto? Not all things, like killing people, but just, the free-roaming, sub-missions, many things to do.. Let me give an example: You start off as a little kid, who isn't known in the world, and you don't have any pokémons on you yet, but then, you see a pokémon getting attacked by a bunch of other pokémons. Now, it's your choice to either save the pokémon, or run away and see what other things there are to do. Well, let's choose for the first option. You save the pokémon and the pokémon decided to follow you. Now then, you got your first pokémon. Called a: Lazylosermon or something. Later, you can buy a house and stuff, fully custumize it etc. Expand your house and let your pokémon's free in your garden. You will also meet certain types of people like girls, who you can get a relationship with and even later, marry them.

Damn, by saying all this, I am looking forward to playing a new Pokémon game.. We can be very sure that our concepts won't be used for such kind of game..

*Sigh*. Well, then we'll just have to catch more Pokémons and become the greatest master again..

18. Sterling
    OP

United States
    DAMN! Great ideas [​IMG]

19. .:Crimonite:.

Australia
    Lol, i'd like to see what Nintendo let you do with your partner. *wink wink*

20. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the turn based is too slow why not give quick Pokemon 2-3 hits for every slow monsters 1 the turn for turn shit is too stupid for something like pokemon