What would this Mac go for?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by hankchill, Mar 22, 2008.

Mar 22, 2008

What would this Mac go for? by hankchill at 4:19 PM (1,277 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. hankchill
    OP

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Allrighty, here's the scoop:
    I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8-core Mac Pro. I've been contemplating selling my G5 in order to get a Mac Pro, but can't quite decide what it should go for. I've upgraded a lot of the components, so here's all the specs on it:

CPU: Dual Processor 2.3GHz G5 with 1.5GHz Front Side Bus
    Display: Acer 17" AL1715B LCD Monitor
    Keyboard: Apple Wired Keyboard (the new, flat one)
    Mouse: Apple Wired Mighty Mouse (new)
    Memory: 3.5GB DDR
    Hard Drive: 1TB (1000GB) HD Space (2x 500GB drives)
    VRAM: 256MB ATI Radeon X800XT (Card has been modified as the original ATI fan had died, so I replaced it with a better, quieter fan which makes the card operate 10x better, and 10x quieter)
    Optical: Brand new Pioneer DVR-115D
    Other: External Bluetooth module

It's a pretty powerful Mac, even to today's standards. What do you guys think something like this would go for?

And please, for those like BoneMonkey who feel the need to flame or give pathetic responses, press the back button [​IMG] I need some intelligent responses from some intelligent people.

Regards,
    --Henry

2. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Probably like $1500-$1800 on ebay, maybe more.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    How was I under the impression that you did all you work on a 10 year old P3 system?

4. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    ~_~ Funny.

The system's only 2 years old. Mind you, when I got it, it only had a 250GB drive, 128MB Radeon 9600, 512MB ram, and a Pioneer DVR-109, and it cost me $4,000. Had all those upgraded over the past couple years to keep it current, and so far it's done a real good job, but I need an Intel system for my main system now, mainly for my videography projects, as Final Cut runs better on the Mac Pros right now.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It wasn't a joke. I could have sworn you had said that somewhere in the Rominator thread.

6. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    Ah, I think I know where you got that. Some people were complaining that Rominator was slow for them, and I said well of course it'll run slow on a 10 year old Pentium 3 [​IMG]

I, however, have used Macs all my life, so no 10 year old P3 for me [​IMG]

7. elscorcho0

Newcomer elscorcho0 Member

United States

I think ZeWarrior is about right. Even though you have a lot of add-ons, I don't think anyone would pay much more when they could just buy themselves a new MacPro.

8. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    Well, the cheapest Mac Pro is $2,899, and my machine doesn't trail *too far* behind. Think I can get away with $2,200 to $2,400? The setup I'm aiming for on my Mac Pro will cost me $3,999, so I'd have a little bit extra to pay [​IMG]

9. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    If you try hard enough, maybe...

10. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

A similar PC would only be about 1100 new... I don't see you getting 2200 for it, especially since it won't be long before Apple drops support for PPC processors

11. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    We weren't talking about PC's now were we [​IMG]

The way the Mac's work is a little better than PC's, a PC with those specs would crawl compared to the G5. Considering that a refurbished 2.5GHz unit with bare minimum ram, drive, graphics, etc sells for over $2,000, I don't see why the Dual 2.3 G5 that can out-perform the 2.5 can't sell for the same amount, if not more.

It's not meant really to be a 'home user machine', it's a business machine designed for business uses.