What would it look like?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everyone likes to day dream about their ultimate hand held gaming whatever else doodad.

Lets see.
It's black and shiny like a DS.
Folds in half like a DS too.
It's a lot bigger and thicker though. No chance of fitting in a pants pocket at all.
Dimensions are something like 6 inches wide, 6 inches tall that become 6 inches wide but 12 inches high unfolded to flat point.
Approximately 2 inches thick when folded and roughly thicker on lower portion when unfolded.

The upper half actually has a secondary lid function that also can be unfolded. But the lid is smaller than the upper section and is really just an upper view screen tasked to perform much as the DS upper screen is. The unit's game module is designed into the upper unit and is used with the main unit closed. The unit is held the way you hold a DS and the controls are housed in similar locations. The game unit also has a lower touch screen. Essentially the game unit is a DS hand held built into the upper unit and lives on the outer surface.

For ease of use there is a camera that can also be accessed through the DS module. This is because it would be easier to hold and use.

Mp3 playing is employed while the unit is closed and controls are accessed through the DS module for simplicity. This is because the screen is able to be employed for more than just games. Videos are possible on the reduced capacity screen, but is meant to be viewed on the inner screen when the unit is opened.

Inner unit. The inner unit performs the functions of pdf reader on a larger screen that is about 5 by 5 inches. on the top half which is really the underside of the DS housing of course. The screen is also the screen for the web browser. And the screen also plays video content.
The lower half of the folded out item is where you have a modest keyboard. There is also a mouse controller stick.

The item allows for multi card support and USB interface. There are decent external speakers mounted in the lower half as well as privacy speaker plug in ports.
The item comes with a decent sized hard drive of several gigs, but is based on the assumption that most memory comes from external memory sticks.
The unit of course supports more than just one OS option.
Battery life is important, but more importantly can be replaced as easy as removing a memory card with no extensive fiddling required thus making long duration uses simple.

I'd drop 500 bucks on this without even thinking about it.

Our hands helds are too small and too limited, and our laptops seem too much like the small weights you use to work out with
smile.gif

Although I think micro computers are the single biggest threat to hand held gaming devices. Once we get a decent hand held device that likely will be a decently made microcomputer, it likely will severely limit the interest in bulky desktops and largely TV bound consoles.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
pandoranewkeys.png

This however, p0wns DSi many times
What's that you say?

Look at the specs:
- ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
- 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
- PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
- 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
- Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
- Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
- Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
- 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
- Around 10+ Hours battery life

As you can see it's no regular old gaming piece of hardware
(Quoted from the site openpandora.org)
QUOTE said:
What is the device designed for?
It is designed as an ultra portable open source computer with gaming controls, it is very small, around about the same size as a DS. It can easily fit in your pocket.

How powerful is it?
It is by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics capability, it will be able to handle things such as Firefox3 or Quake3 with ease.

The only question in that quote is can it really handle Quake 3 with ease?

I say this Pandora meets your criteria at certain points PanzerTacticer!
yaynds.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man I wish that was a gag Raestloz, but it isn't.

http://openpandora.org/

They made only 3000 and they were sold in hours if not less (2000 in 6 hours alone). And it appears they have a severe limit on how fast they can make them.

Linux = will run most anything I can throw at it.
Game controls is nice, but I likely would have old school wargames that don't really require them so much.
Keyboard means they made it to be a serious machine first and toy later.

The price tag means it was bought up likely 100% by adults, because kids rarely will drop several hundred on a non game devoted doodad.

Indications are I won't be so lucky as to get one, and will likely be running a micro laptop of a typical source sooner.
Oh well, micro laptops are closer in size to what I want at any rate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom