Hardware What will happen with nintendo (?)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Y'know here in Great Britannia, the Xbone has outsold the Wii U's LTD in over a week. The PS4 outsold the Wii U's LTD in 48 hours.

It's Nintendo's fault that people aren't still aware of the Wii U exactly.

By the way, there's nothing great about Great Britain, it's just a stupid name.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By the way, there's nothing great about Great Britain, it's just a stupid name.
Great Britain has the "Great" prefix for historical reasons - it stems directly from the Kingdom of Great Britain, a result of a union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. It's "Great" because it was considered a momentous political event, that and the resulting state spanned across a massive part of the British isles. There's a lot of "Great" in Great Britain provided you know the background. That being said, nowadays the politically-correct term is "United Kingdom".

//Off-topic

Reactions: NEP

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great Britain has the "Great" prefix for historical reasons - it stems directly from the Kingdom of Great Britain, a result of a union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland. It's "Great" because it was considered a momentous political event, plus it spanned across a massive part of the British isles. There's a lot of "Great" in Great Britain provided you know the background. That being said, nowadays the politically-correct term is "United Kingdom".

//Off-topic

Hi Foxi4history!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo is to UK as Microsoft is to Japan. Expecting great Nintendo sales numbers over there is silly.

This statement is highly debatable. It may have been the underdog in NES times but that was eons ago in gaming terms - right now it easily has equal footing with its competitors.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's becoming increasingly apparent that there's no miraculous turnaround in sight for Nintendo. Barring some act of divine intervention, Nintendo's looking for a repeat of the N64/Gamecube. The system will produce a few decent titles, but it'll be utterly dwarfed by its competitors. Nintendo will survive off its handheld division while the main console eventually manages to turn a small, tidy profit. In a few years time, nostalgia-goggled teenagers will loudly proclaim that the system was an underrated gem to any who will listen.

In the meantime, I'll get enough schadenfreude to sustain me for centuries as the fringes of the Nintendo fanbase scramble to validate their purchase.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
images

Nintendo isn't going anywhere. They will always have a niche market, if nothing else.

Dear Leader

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Nintendo should be software-only company. They haven't made good hardware since the GameCube. Nintendo fans will continue to disagree and call me troll, you all know it's true. Nintendo is not good at making hardware and their software will better if it on other platform. They no longer would be limited by their weak hardware. More important, they no longer limited by fact that no one own their hardware.

Why not make software for PS4 or Xbox One, so you know longer be limited by your terrible hardware? Or move to PC if you don't want to deal with licensing costs and have more freedom? Or take advantage of the mobile gaming market?

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
If any of you guys were capable of reading financial statements you'd figure out that Nintendo could keep making consoles for the next 20 years, sell exactly zero units of each and still wouldn't go bankrupt.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you guys were capable of reading financial statements you'd figure out that Nintendo could keep making consoles for the next 20 years, sell exactly zero units of each and still wouldn't go bankrupt.

Because business totally operates in "we stored a bunch of money and even if something is losing us money we'll keep making it because we can."

Thank you for your insightful insight perhaps Wall Street would benefit from your key knowledge of the corporate structure.

EDIT: The idea of Nintendo dying completely is not really huge, it's possible it could implode by a shitload of investors who are also Nintendo higher ups jumping ship leaving a company no one will invest in but the more reasonable thing is that they'll cut what's losing them money (home consoles) and keep producing what makes them money (software, maybe handhelds too).

Plus at this point it doesn't seem like the Wii U in terms of Nintendo first parties is doing anything too exceptional. Like the 3DS can handle 3D Mario platformers, 3D Zeldas, Mario Karts, and Smash Bros. just fine. The Wii U can surely do more but in terms of content the 3DS can do what Nintendo wants. It also sells and gets plenty of support, unlike the Wii U.

Nintendo at the very least will go third party because their IPs still sell, just on consoles that sell.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst case scenario: Nintendo becomes only a handheld developer, which is a market they continue to dominate. (no I don't count smartphones in this same category)

Realistically, Nintendo will keep going at its own pace, doing its own thing, all the while not caring how its trailing Microsoft and Sony in the home console department.

Possibly, Nintendo decides the Wii U is a failure like the Virtual Boy, and quickly moves on to a new piece of hardware to compete with the PS4 and XBone, but I really don't see that happening.

I think the next year is very important, however well Smash and a new Zelda for the console do to sell the console will determine its future is my personal opinion. Hell, I'm waiting for either of those games to be released myself before purchasing my Wii U. But when one of them is released, I will indeed buy a Wii U, I know I'm not alone with this sentiment either.

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Because business totally operates in "we stored a bunch of money and even if something is losing us money we'll keep making it because we can."

Thank you for your insightful insight perhaps Wall Street would benefit from your key knowledge of the corporate structure.
This would apply if Nintendo were a western company. Don't forget that Nintendo's philosophy is deeply influenced by traditional Japanese economics. Wall street isn't the biggest factor that matters to them.

Also, the financial outcome of the Wii U isn't exactly bad when you compare it to GC or even N64. Smaller profits than the competition hasn't influenced Nintendo in the past, and won't influence it in the future when it comes to their core business strategy.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the Wii U is good hardware.

Agreed, I find nothing bad with the hardware, it may be a bit behind the Xbone and PS4 in terms of graphics, but that doesn't matter to me at this point. Unless you have some awesome virtual reality going on (that PS4 VR set to compete with the Oculus Rift does have me intrigued to be honest, but that doesn't yet exist), the difference in graphics for this generation across all 3 consoles is not what is going to sell me on your console, it is absolutely the games. And right now the Wii U has the most games in the future that I look forward to over the PS4 and XBone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: