Hardware What will happen with nintendo (?)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But it's more powerful, that means it's better, right?
Oh no, PC gaming have its downside too.

And I've heard a bunch of people on here say that the PS4 and Xbone are just souped up versions of the 360/PS3. It sounds like they released the PS4 and Xbone to have a more powerful engine so they could convince people to stay with their systems since they were more powerful than Nintendo..

Those bunch of people lied. PS4 and X1 is not an amped up version of PS3 and X360. Again there is nothing similar between PS4/X1 and PS3/X360. They are a completely different consoles, from the departure of PowerPC/CELL to x86_64, separate to unified memory layout, etc.

Wii U IS a souped up version of Wii (and by extension GameCube), because their system layout is relatively the same. They all use Power 7 CPU family, VLIW GPU from ATI/AMD, etc. Wii U and Wii achieved 100% backward compatibilities to Wii and GC games because hardware is essentially the same, just faster. Nintendo chose to "upgrade" their system rather than complete redesign because it is cheaper and much easier to retain backward compatibility.

To original thread:
I think Nintendo is too conservative. For one while Sony and Microsoft are rebranding their system to be an all-in-one entertainment system (BD player, video and music on online store, HDMI input on X1, etc), Nintendo is staying put. Nintendo has plenty of capital and they won't diversify their market.

Internet aspect is also a weak fort for Nintendo. While introduction of NNID to 3DS is a major step, it is still console-locked rather than account-based. They also killed off Swap Note even though it is beyond necessary, a step backward in social gaming.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those bunch of people lied. PS4 and X1 is not an amped up version of PS3 and X360. Again there is nothing similar between PS4/X1 and PS3/X360. They are a completely different consoles, from the departure of PowerPC/CELL to x86_64, separate to unified memory layout, etc.

Wii U IS a souped up version of Wii (and by extension GameCube), because their system layout is relatively the same. They all use Power 7 CPU family, VLIW GPU from ATI/AMD, etc. Wii U and Wii achieved 100% backward compatibilities to Wii and GC games because hardware is essentially the same, just faster. Nintendo chose to "upgrade" their system rather than complete redesign because it is cheaper and much easier to retain backward compatibility.

So did Sony and Microsoft just upgrade and/or redesign their systems? It'd be cheaper for them to just upgrade like Nintendo did, because then, they could retain backwards compatibility with the 360/PS3. I think Microsoft redesigned their system since the Xbone is a physical monster. And wasn't Microsoft going to charge people to pay to play their 360 games on their Xbone? Ugh, I'm so confused.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony and Microsoft are using new hardware for the PS4 and Xbox One.

It's cheaper and easier to just beef up what you already have, sure, but that comes with its own problems. You're chaining yourself to what may be outdated technology, warts and all. Sure, if Sony kept the Cell, the PS3 might have backwards compatibility... but then they'd also be sticking with a processor that was extremely difficult to develop for and, iirc, expensive to produce.

Sure, the PS4 and Xbox One don't have backwards compatibility, but now they're easier to work with, and that brings in more developers and more games with less hiccups along the way. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses for the benefit of the console.

And wasn't Microsoft going to charge people to pay to play their 360 games on their Xbone?

That was a prank from /b/ meant to trick people into bricking their Xbox Ones.

Ugh, I'm so confused.

Clearly. ;)

Reactions: calmwaters

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So did Sony and Microsoft just upgrade and/or redesign their systems? It'd be cheaper for them to just upgrade like Nintendo did, because then, they could retain backwards compatibility with the 360/PS3. I think Microsoft redesigned their system since the Xbone is a physical monster. And wasn't Microsoft going to charge people to pay to play their 360 games on their Xbone? Ugh, I'm so confused.
Complete redesign.

Sony had to redesign for several reasons,
* CELL is notoriously hard to program. Many PS3 game developers hate CELL. Sony does not want to repeat that mistake.
* Development of CELL is pretty much in a hiatus state. Without new development there is no point for Sony to keep using CELL from IBM.
* Keep production cost low. CELL is expensive, and will need separate GPU. Sony wants to keep cost low and design simple, that's why AMD APU was selected.
* x86_64 is an architecture that many developers are familiar with. It is developer friendly.

Microsoft went with AMD APU for similar reasons.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Okay, I'm sorry, but doesn't this actually STRENGTHEN my point? The Game consoles are designed to be game consoles and yet the PC does it better.

So you think it's appropriate to try and force somebody to prepare a roast when all they want to do is unwrap a snack and dig in?

I think it was just poor grammar. I believe he was trying to say that the Wii U, XBone, and PS4 were dedicated gaming machines while PCs are not.

Yea that's what I meant. It should have read "except for (the fact that) the Wii U, X......" or just "except that the..."

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder why people are so worried about how successful WiiU will be, it's not like Nintendo is going out of the market.
3DS is sellling very well, in the worst scenario, it will keep Nintendo finnancially despite their console failure just like Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance made it for N64 and Gamecube.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn