What was your reaction/thoughts when...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Logan97, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Logan97
    OP

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Whats was your reaction/thoughts when, you mod your first gaming console?.

Here's a story of my experience.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Well, I mean, I haven't modded a console yet, but if I do, I'll be prepared.

Ammako, Yepi69 and weavile001 like this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Actually that's pretty accurate. Like at first I was afraid I would brick my Xbox (original, still own it and love it) but once I hacked it, I was felt like I was unstoppable! I kinda was actually, even when I bricked it, I was able to fix it and even add a 120GB hard drive to it.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "Sweet, now I can play copied games like on my PC"

5. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I love the mentaility people get when the "Hack" Things.
    Like "WOW IM A HACKER EXTRORDINAIRE I CAN HACK THE PLANET, I JAILBREAK PHONES AND GOOGLE HOW TO SOFTMOD WII'S, YEA!"
    [​IMG]

Ammako, Sakitoshi, ßleck and 4 others like this.
  6. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    "I am genius!"

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    It was at a friend's party, around the time wii motion + was new (I think I just bought it). A friend of his had brought his wii with him. For some reason, it had a hard drive connected to it. What was even weirder that they somehow selected their game from a completely different menu (I think this was Waninkoko's USB loader, but I'm not sure).

At that time I had vaguely heard of modchips and the like to burn games to DVD's, but I wasn't about to open up my wii and do a lot of trial-and-error like PC-games of that time that required all sorts of cracks and stuff (this was before online checking became a thing). I was astounded that not only could games be loaded from a USB-drive (and not just ONE game but a whole bunch of them) but that you didn't even had to open it up.

I can't even remember the name of the (Dutch) hacking site I joined to read up on guides on how to do all that. They didn't give bad advice per se, but most of the good advice came linked straight from this site. Which is the reason I joined this place.

And yes, I admit I was (at least at first) just in it for video games. But the process always intrigued me. First because I didn't want my wii harmed (there were some #002 error, but never anything bad).

EDIT: chavosaur: LOL!
    Yeah...I've encountered those guys as well. I remember at first thinking they knew everything and I, at best, could at best hope that I didn't "brick" my own wii.But it gradually dawned on me that these guys had just used some more tools than me and often didn't even care what it did (I'm pretty sure I followed the installation of cIOScorp according to their guides...it was only later that I learned that that doesn't change anything if you want to load games from USB).

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    "LoL i R M4ST3R H4CK3R 50 1337 LOL"

I didn't have any "reaction" other than "Yep", because I'm not a simple-minded moron. :teach:

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Started hacking with the old Xbox in 2003/04?
    Idk anymore.
    Started hardware modding in 2010.
    And now.
    I keep on going c:

10. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Episode isn't 1 day old yet there's already a funny .gif of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------/--------------------------------------------------------------

In another news, when I hacked my first Wii I regretted it since day one, but then I found out how to install wads, and get more gaemz 4 free and suddenly the regretting feeling was gone.

11. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I started getting into computers :D

12. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    As a kid, I was super into Robot Wars/Battlebots so I went and bought stuff with the intention of building something. This included a soldering iron and a lot of rolls of solder. After practicing with broken electrical equipments I noticed that there was a modchip released for the Gamecube that only required a few wires so I took the risk and while I was nervous because I thought I was going to destroy it, I managed to install a modchip in the Gamecube. Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the story because I realised that I was spending a LOT of money on the mini DVD-Rs so I spent more money on a case mod to allow the Gamecube to accept full sized DVD-Rs.

Then it moved onto a modchip for a PS2, Saturn, PSone. I was going to mention the Dreamcast but all that required was burning an ISO and it ran on my unmodified console in the end so it wasn't a real hack.

For the original Xbox, I ended up just paying a friend to install the chip but everything else (installing larger HDD, installing XBMC) was a Google away.

13. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    after soft modding my Wii: "that's it?"
    after hard modding my Wii: "what am I going to do with all these screws?"

EZ-Megaman and Veho like this.
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is a well known fact of life that screws breed when you are not being a harsh taskmaster. Capture them all up and then put them in a pot, they will likely be useful in the future.

Ammako, Veho and NahuelDS like this.
  15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    This, pretty much. Softmodding the Wii boils down to clicking on a button than says "hack my Wii" and then waiting for half an hour.

NahuelDS likes this.
  16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This reminds me of a (Dutch) comedy program I once saw. It was like the news, but instead of real news it had all these surrealistic articles. One of those was of a professor that had (supposedly) mathematically proven that "X=X+3V", with "3V" meaning three screws (screws translates to 'vijzen' in Dutch). In other words: if you take apart a device and put it back together, you WILL end up with 3 extra screws.

In other words: it's absolutely true that taking things apart and putting them back together generates extra screws. That's probably how screws are made in factories as well. :P

NahuelDS likes this.
  17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    well, yeah. Why do you think they're called "screws"?

Ammako likes this.
  18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Ah, but you are forgetting all those instances where you end up short a screw or two, and you dismiss it as your own carelessness and assume it just rolled under the largest piece of furniture in the room and you can't be arsed to look for it. I propose the two are in fact linked, and that there is a sort of screw quantum tunneling, where screws are transported from workplace to workplace through some sort of "spatial borehole", so to speak, without passing through the intervening space.

This warrants further study. We should start engraving messages on all our screws.

(inb4 "screw loose" joke)

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    On the matter of being short screws.

Some might say that working with tools of suspect magnetic quality above a grey corded carpet sees me lose a few screws. Personally I think I became such a good tool wielder that I skipped a few steps in my head and it does not show the working.

20. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Kinda like the PSP.