What Was Your First ROM?

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Twas about 10 years ago I think and it was probably Micro Machines for the NES, played using Nesticle. I think I got it after reading a letter in some magazine with somebody talking about ROMs and Emulators. I think the reply to the letter was saying that it's illegal and naughty, so I when straight to the computer, dialed up and went to webcrawler to do some searching
tongue.gif

Ha... I just had a thought. Just gone to my emulators folder and found an Acorn Electron emulator that I downloaded in 99 called Electrem! I think that was probably my second emulator. I remember emailing the dev about that a few times, sending them error messages n stuff to try and help them fix a couple of bugs.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My first was... all the NES ones. My dad just discovered them on the internet, downloaded them, and that introduced me to emulation, pirating, and eventually modchips, flashcarts and the like.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! with Nesticle X.XX. Who would have thought that the graphics would actually have been fixed?

keeganator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Chrono Trigger + Super Mario RPG, 6 years ago when I was 9.
Just stumbled across it one day, taught myself everyone I know about piracy since then.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
First rom ever? I think it was like pokemon gold or soemthing. First from for ds? Yoshi Touch and go because it was like 3 meg compressed. Too bads its really just a 2 minute demo than a game.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How did you hear about ROMs? What was your reaction when you found out you could play games console games on the PC?

I found out about ROMs when I bumped into a friend of mine I hadn't seen in many years as it turned out we were going to the same college. He had a Genesis/SNES game copier and wanted to sell it, and I wound up buying it.

And you actually couldn't play the games on the PC back then. It would be quite a few years after that when decent emulation finally started making them playable on anything other than an actual console.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
i'll always have a soft spot for " Donkey Kong " i was living in Hong Kong when this got realesed about 80 / 81 i think , you know the one that the ds resembles now and it was an orange / brown colour ? and not long after that we moved to England , and god was i popular lol

Meatbrain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Silver. I remember trying to bear with the Japanese text, and it looks like I'll have to do that again for Platinum.

I found out about roms when I was like 11 from one of my friends at school who played the Pokemon games that were only out in Japan at the time

Daois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The first ROM I've ever downloaded was probably Final Fantasy 5 for SNES. My friend told me about it and showed me at his house, and I never played FF5 before, so when I got home I gleefully turned on my dial-up modem finding the ROM and I've been hooked on emulation ever since. This was... in 1997 or so, since I got my first computer the same day as Final Fantasy 7 at 11 years old.

BUT, the first I played was probably when I went to visit some family when I was around.. nine or so. My cousin had a Nintendo pack on his computer and I played FF2j and FF3j before they were even completely translated. I didn't have my own computer, and I thought that it was so cool that I could play Final Fantasy on a computer. I was still playing Dragon Warrior 1 and Final Fantasy 1 on my NES.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
My first ROM was Pokemon Ruby 6 years ago. I was just going nuts on the internets one night and found it and then got sucked into the world of flashcarts and what not. I played it on an emulator called "Boycott Advance" then moved on to visual boy advance. Now last year while walking around the house I found an old disk which my Dad made which was packed full of around 500 SNES games and a SNES emulator called "WinSNES9xw".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: