What to do in England

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I'm going to England for 3 weeks on july(from the 14th to the 3rd of august), and I'm staying at Eastbourne. I must attent lessons from monday to friday, but not on weekends... I'm staying in London for the last weekend, but I don't know what to do the other two weekends and when the lessons end. Any ideas? Local stuff appreciated (where to eat, what to do during the night, nice places to go to, both of cultural and leisure interest). Also I suspect I might be going to either Oxford or Cambridge one of the weekends (I don't think both, as that'd be expensive). Any ideas about connections? I know I could just google this, which I've already done, but I think a more human approach to this could be good.

Thanks a lot
smile.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
By connections you mean trains right? National Rail's route planner will sort that out. Coaches might be cheaper, but you have to book those at least a couple of days in advance and adds an extra hour or two to the journey (and trains are more fun!). To get anywhere from the south east you usually have to take a train into London, then catch a connection out of the other side, but the route planner should explain that. For local buses yo get around Eastbourne, Travelline South East might be of some help.

The problem with doing both Oxford and Cambridge in a single weekend will be the distance. Eastbourne to Oxford is going to take about 3-4 hours, so you might want to get somewhere to stay overnight, unless you don't mind only being there for a few hours. Same for Cambridge (but you don't want to go to Cambridge, 'tis a silly place
wink.gif
)

Nightlife and Eastbourne... I can't say I've ever heard the two mentioned together, but I'm not local to the area so I bet there's something there. For somewhere to visit nearby consider Brighton, it's another seaside town but it's a lot livelier and there's plenty there. They've had an awesome sand sculpture display there every summer for the past few years, I'm not sure if they're doing one this year though.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're going to be using public transport I find that it helps to buy a ticket for the entire day. We call them DayRiders here, in London they're called TravelCards (as far as I remember), which lets you use the buses and trains if you pay extra unlimited times. It's great in case you make a mistake or simply fancy going somewhere you hadn't planned on.

As for things to do, I don't really know the local area, I just thought I'd share something I found really useful.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
If you come to london, make sure you go to london bridge. (Jubilee line, is the easiest way, but there are many buses that goes to london bridge. www.tfl.gov.uk to plan your journey in london.)

I dont know if "Madame Tussauds" is open in the weekend aswell, but it is a must for every tourist. Wax works of celebreties from all over the world are there. Costs money though
wink.gif

If you are interested into theatrical plays, than go to Covent Garden ( with piccadilly line train) and hang arropund there. Am sure you will find something. Hehe.

Well I personally was born here in London, for me every place is usual, as I hang around anywhere. lol.

I am particularly not intersted into history or anything, so what I do is, I hang around with my friends in Piccadilly circus or oxford circus without any reason. Shopping, walkin around etc.

You should also check out Tower Hill station(or tower gateway, cant remember), next to tower is the tower bridge. Nice place to take some pictures.

Btw, dont go to "Hackney", "Peckham" or "Edmonton Green".
Well Edmonton Green is OK, but dont go to Hackney or Peckham. Take that in account as a warning.

Rehehelly

Trophies
XP
Country
Enjoy our unpredictable weather.

It may be really sunny, then just rain, or just rain.

You could get the train to brighton on one of the weekends, beach, better nightlife.

In London get a tube travelcard thing, that way you can travel on the underground anywhere within london for only one price.

edit; Haha Kamui, why not goto Peckham? Not like you're gonna get merked 8-)

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Believe me, every time I go to Peckham, I get involved into something.
I am a safe guy, and usually very calm, but I always get involve into fights. Up to now, no high injuries, but I dont want anyone else to experience the same as me.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I lived in Eastbourne for years mate, one of my favourite towns in the UK. I wouldn't exactly say it's nightlife capital of the UK though. It is within easy travelling distance of London and Brighton though. Avoid Hastings at all costs, it's full of history but it's also full of robbing crackheads!

If you want to go out and around Eastbourne there are some great places though. There's also a Pre-Wembley tennis tournament held their every year if you're into that type of thing. Let me know what you're into and I can recommend some great places for going out, food etc.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all for the answers
smile.gif

I know Eastbourne is an oldies' city, some brit I met the other day told me about it, but it was a way cheaper than Brighton and well, most of the time I'll just be attending lessons so it didn't really matter much to me.

Psy, I meant going to only one per weekend... I've been to both of those cities before and I loved them (funnily enough, I found Cambridge more enjoyable than Oxford, but then again I didn't spend much of a time there). I wanted to show them to a companion who's coming with me to England.

Thanks for the advice, sink
smile.gif

Kamui, I don't think I'm going to the Wax museum, don't find it very interesting, to tell the truth, and some friends who went over the place just confirmed this idea of mine. I'll be staying at a hostel there in Picadilly's by the way... backpackers something it's called. And what are those places you tell I shouldn't go to? pubs?

I thought I might well go to Brighton, Rehehell, thanks
smile.gif

Not much into tennis, Trolley. Know any places where eating, hanging around, pubbing..? Also, it might be interesting if you tell me about places to get some cheap food or where just laying around. I would like to see some not-very-ordinary nightlife and by this I mean ordinary night life from England, not the average disco you get anywhere in the world (I mean, somewhere you liked to go have some fun or nice time, doesn't have to be somewhere you'd put into a travel guide).

Thanks all for your tips!
smile.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Maktub said:
Not much into tennis, Trolley. Know any places where eating, hanging around, pubbing..? Also, it might be interesting if you tell me about places to get some cheap food or where just laying around. I would like to see some not-very-ordinary nightlife and by this I mean ordinary night life from England, not the average disco you get anywhere in the world (I mean, somewhere you liked to go have some fun or nice time, doesn't have to be somewhere you'd put into a travel guide).

My favourite pub in EB was The Gildredge, it's on a corner directly across from the exit of the train station. It's full of skaters and smokers, with a good range of music. There's a couple of pool tables but it's more the atmosphere that's great. It's a really friendly place. Most pubs in England you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least a couple of fights break out, but in the 7 years I was drinking in the Gildredge I only saw about 5 fights break out, and to be honest if I was't there a few of them wouldn't have happend.

If you're more into trendy sports bars there one in the train station itself that's pretty good and for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. Bar 155 I think. It's a pretty good atmosphere, lots of loud chart music and geezers in fashionable clothes.

There's also the Goose and Wetherspoons. There a more modern trend in UK pubs though. Reeeeal cheap beer and food, but no music or entertainment. The places get packed though just cos of the prices.

If you want a more traditional pub then either The Cavalier in the town center or The Lamb in Old Town are great. The Lamb is fantastic, it's a little pricey but it's a proper historical landmark pub. I think it's one of the oldest pubs in the UK.

For nightlife I'd recommend TJ's. It's a dingy little door in between a couple of shops in the town center (can't remember the names of them but TJ's is signposted anyway) but when you go it's a pretty stylish bar and club. Downstairs you've got your usual dancefloor/dj setup but upstairs is a different kette of fish. It's got a stage and a massive bar/table area. On some Tues and Sat nights they've got live local bands and the occasional out of towners, otherwise it's a DJ playing all kinds of tunes. The people upstairs are usually pretty friendly, whereas the people downstairs are your average clubbers/chavs.

The Atlantis is one of the most popular, but to be honest it's really only good if you're a group of lads out on the prowl for either women or a fight. Big big dancefloor though. Upstairs from The Atlantis is Bar Copa. It's a bit of a mixed bag really. It's used by alot of the local gay scene, but you also get alot of thugs and wannabe gangsta's in there. Just avoid the pool table area and you're fine.

There's some really good restaraunts as well but I don't remember their names as I just went in them! I'll grab them and post them up later. It's got a great Tex Mex place and some amazing Italian joints. What are your favourite types of food?

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gawd, thanks a lot for that load of information, I'll find it much of an use!
biggrin.gif

Food, I like everything: Italian, Spanish (lol), French, Arabbian, Mexican, German, Swedish (yum, kötbullar) - even British! So anything you tell me about will be kindly received and taken into account
smile.gif

Thanks a real lot!

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Can't say I know about Eastbourne, but you should google around and see if there's some Gaming event in London during that weekend. There's always a couple during the summer, you may be lucky...

Anyway, you should totally see Big Ben. It's awesome! As for fun stuff either day or night, there's the Trochadero in Picadilly Circus. That place has loads of fun stuff and nerd stuff to keep you entertained for hours!

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, Teej, but I don't think I'll be on the mood for gaming while staying there. I think I save that for the time when I'm not on a foreign country, hehe.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you're ware that coming to UK will burn a hole in your pockets.

there a lot to see in London - most are like Victorian

Tower of London
London eye
London bridge
Big Ben
Chinatown
British museum
Buckingham Palace and St James's Park
Big Shopping area (Picadilly Circus, Oxford street, Covent Garden, Bond street - big shopping store )
Millennium Bridge - walk to - St Paul’s Cathedral - (may your way to the top of the church)
National Gallery
Trafalgar Square Lion
Tate Britain
Madame Tussaud's.
Science Museum in South Kensington
Natural History Museum
National Maritime Museum
Victoria and Albert Museum
London Aquarium
London Zoo
Tate Modern

if you have kids goto the biggest toy store in London
Hamleys on Regent Street ( must see ) there a lot floor levels

hamleys2.jpg

there a lot more...
i'll see if i can post some later...

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Peckham lol even the police dont go round in less than 3s, and normally always in a squad car, used to be the same back in Ladbroke Grove before it went posh again, no chance of that with Peckham though.. and god the stink of chickes etc... yuck!

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, lookout, I love Victorian age - and yeah, I'm aware it'll be über expensive. I'm getting a grant though
tongue.gif

Then again, what's Peckham? a street or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh