What the hell Valve?!?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by YoshiChao, Dec 16, 2009.

Dec 16, 2009

What the hell Valve?!? by YoshiChao at 6:13 AM (1,995 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. YoshiChao
    OP

Newcomer YoshiChao Member

Australia
    Okay, so a few days back I bought a pre-owned copy for TF2 from GameTraders.
    When I got home, obviously, I tried to install it.

I got a duplicate CD Key error. Fuck.

I messaged Valve regarding the matter as one of their 'Help' topics are 'Duplicate CD Key Errors'.
    It said they could reset it to my account, so I asked them if they could.

Me:

"Hey, I bought a pre-owned copy of Team Fortress 2 from my local GameTraders and It comes up with a Duplicate CD Key Error. Could you please reset the CD Key to my Username? Thanks!"
    -attachment: CD Key & Receipt-

Valve:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We do not reset CD keys from auction sites or in cases in which the game has been resold or given by another individual.

The buying, selling or trading of Steam accounts/CD keys is a violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

I recommend you return the game and inquire about a refund."

That's BULLSHIT! Don't tell me about how selling a CD Key is a violation of their SSA! The previous owner already did that and now he's getting off scott-free!?!? FUCK THAT! So I reply with:

"What? But I bought the game from the store! I don't see what I've (or the store for that matter) have done wrong! The other person is at fault for registering the game under his account and then re-selling the CD to the store because he 'didn't need it'. It would be much appreciated if you would reset the CD Key as I, and the store, are not at fault."

And now I hope for the best. What are your guys' thoughts on this matter? I'm off to go play GvGN+, so,

Cya's!

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Why would Valve be inclined to give you another key when you didn't pay them a cent for the first one.

3. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Uh-oh, whoops!

Sorry, I posted it in my younger bro's account!

So, uh, please direct all replys to me!

Posts merged

Ah a reply. I bought the game from a store! GameTraders in Chadstone.

4. myuusmeow

United States
    That doesn't help Valve out though. They have the money from 1 copy of the game, so they give one CD key out. I'm not saying you're pov isn't legit here, but imagine all the people who'd give a copy to a friend and get another CD key. Valve would be outta business in no time.

See if you can return it and get the Orange Box new, heck TF2 is bound to go on sale online again, around Halloween it was down to $2.50 for few hours.

5. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sorry to hear that that happened to ya dude. If the game store you got it from has a "guaranteed to work" or something policy, then you can return it to them on those grounds. Keep in mind in the future that publishers and developers aren't too keen on assisting with re-buys for the most part, because they don't get anything from it. If anyone is going to help you in this case, it's going to have to be the retail store.

If / when you go back to the store, raise hell and demand to see higher-ups if you can't get the person you're speaking with to give you a refund. I've learned that causing a scene in front of other customers is a good way to get management to give you what you want to get you the heck out of there.

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    there's your problem. return it to gametraders. they shouldnt be re-selling pc games that require a cd-key.

7. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    Okay, cool, thanks for more replys.

omatic: I don't know, considering what's been said and done, I'll wait a bit, see what Valve say next

.Radiant: True. I just checked the reciept.
    'GameTraders - If you've played it etc. No refunds or exchanges on PC software due to online registration requirements."

Well, I guess raising hell will have to be an option!

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I read an article before that Valve were against trading games in. Basically because they don't get a cut of that pie, with all profits going to the store.

I can understand Valve's policy on this, as they'd have thousands of people ~claiming~ they bought it second hand, when in fact some of them probably didn't. Still bad form on the store to sell it anwyay. I'd definitely try and get a refund from them.

9. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Once you register a Valve game on Steam, you don't need the CD anymore. You can directly download the game from Steam, anytime you want!

So, the person that "pre-owned" the CD, still owns the game, he can download it anytime he wants.

The store shouldn't sell used games that require steam activation, they are useless.

10. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    yeah, just wait for a deal on steam... there is a big update this weekend, they are likely to have a deal on it. and yeah, too bad you didnt get it for 2.49 on hween =P

11. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    Oh look, a reply.
    "Hello 8Bit, I'm sorry, but we do not reset used CD Keys."
    Yet if you look under Steam Support there are two articles that should be noted
    Duplicate CD Key Error
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=6823-QADN-7849
    (If you are certain you have not registered your CD Key to a Steam account in the past please see the CD Key Reset Process topic for instructions.)
    and
    CD Key Reset Process
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=1673-IDGK-4694
    (If you recently purchased a new retail game which requires activation on Steam and are encountering a "Duplicate CD Key" error message, you must contact Valve to have the CD Key moved to your account. Please contact us through our online support system as outlined here:

You must have a copy of your valid purchase receipt from within the last 90 days to have the CD Key moved to your account.)

And I followed all these steps, and they STILL won't reset it! Fuck it, I'll just return the game!

12. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I'm pretty sure those steps are to be for those who bought the game sealed and had that error.

13. myuusmeow

United States
    Key point here, you didn't buy it new.

14. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Or get you arrested....

Then again I may have taken it a little far.

15. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    Whatever, I'm just gonna return the fucker, demand for my money back.

16. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    wait... the store policy says they won't accept used PC games that use keys... so why the heck did they SELL you one, and where did they get it?! [​IMG]

(edited for grammar)

17. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    You do know this applies to practically every account-driven game ever, right?
    This is why most used games stores don't carry PC games or MMOs or the such, once a code is used once no one else possibly can play it. It's not Valve's fault here.

How much did you pay for it anyway? TF2 is only $20 new, and going by their regular trend, it's going to have a discount sale this weekend for the War Update anyway.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ^

It was kinda your fault for buying a used PC game that's, you know, of this age. Unless it's an older PC game or program that doesn't require a key code, you may as well download them. Most sites sell their PC games online anyway.

Or you can use a key generator to essentially pirate the game. The computer guy who does all my cool stuff uses a key generator to get us legit copies of Microsoft Word and crap like that.

19. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Kind of pointless when it comes to an online game as the key would be invalid on Valve's server. Unless you intend to play on a cracked server. [​IMG]

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    In my defense I don't use my computers for much other than pirating and trolling the 'temp.

Anyway, refund the game and buy TF2 for $20.