What the CycloDS iEvolution can or cannot do or specifications

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Game Dragon, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Game Dragon
    OP

Member Game Dragon GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have been trying to find out what the CycloDS iEvolution can or cannot do or specifications but there is not much information available, has anybody got some information

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
  3. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    I have looked at most of those sights but the information is very sketchy nothing concrete, I want specifics

4. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    the cycloDS iEVO is just a cycloDS with dsi mode
    being one of the few who has a review sample, I can tell you it can't run GBA on your DSi

we can't do much with DSi mode right now, but with more work it can be something special, but I'm not sure it'll ever reach that level

5. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    I am thinking of giving a miss the GBA and SNES on the DSi XL and just go with the DSi and DS games so I am looking at all options and this is one, what's it like

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    it can run ds mode games in dsi mode using their "compatibility layer" which allows ds mode games to use the faster cpu and extra ram. they say it should make problem games with slow parts a thing of the past. they have also added this same type of update for homebrew, however it has to be homebrew compiled with libnds. palib stuff is said to not be supported. i still haven't done much testing yet so i'm not 100% sure what will work and what won't.

the ievo should run dsi-mode roms in dsi-mode meaning you can take advantage of the enhanced features like the camera. so far only 1 rom i've tried is working and i've read that this feature has been implemented since the v6 beta firmware. not sure what is up with it, again i need to do a lot more testing.

the in-game menu does not currently work in dsi-mode, so any games running in this mode, be it for compatiblity or features, will not have this option.

-another world

7. Pate

Member Pate GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Running DSx86 in DSi mode will give a nice performance boost. It runs at about 2x speed compared to the original DSx86.

[​IMG]

I'll release DSx86 version 0.24 (which is compatible with DSi mode) next weekend.

Pate

8. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Great ! Thanks Pate ! [​IMG]

Mame4all, anyone (looking at Alek) ?

9. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So then, phidias won't be able to use the DSi mode because it's a palib homebrew...
    Oh dear, that's one of my favourite homebrew, and the painting would surely benefit from the added performance.

10. johnchan

Newcomer johnchan Advanced Member

So far nobody has actually proven that palib homebrew does not work in dsi mode with this new compatibility layer. TC never said it wouldnt and another world only said "its said to not be supported". I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tested this. Technically speaking there shouldnt be anything different about palib based homebrew which would prevent it from working.

11. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    Has anybody bought one and tested it as it was supposed to be on sale a few days ago

12. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Yessssssssssssss. Read the front page of GBAtemp, Mr Intelligent.

13. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    Mr. Intelligent I said "Has anybody bought one and tested it as it was supposed to be on sale a few days ago" not a sample one from Cyclo

14. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Another World brought this up on their forums, and TC themselves said that all homebrew should work in DSi mode since the exploit works on a hardware level, although you should also expect hiccups.

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10866

I'm glad to hear that since some of my favourite homebrew is much older, I think Phidias will really benefit from DSi mode.

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    My review sample should be on its way right now and it should be a production sample, ie. not like the ones in the first batch (50 or so that were pre-production). I'll notify about the cart once I get to business with it (though it might take a while since it'll probably arrive early next week by courier :/). Well at least I can fiddle around with the new firmware on the original CycloDS and wait for the iEvo.

-Qtis

EDIT: ps. FYI, the samples TC sent out were pre-production samples but they actually are the same thing internally compared to what will be shipping when people buy it. Maybe a bit more accurate sholdering and better plastics but that'll probably be all..

16. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    finished the homebrew testing portion of the review today and that is an understatement =P. the compatibility layer is still new so i expect to see things get fixed.

please don't ask what you all want to ask, i'll get the review posted within the week (or so) and then you will all know what problems i found. =)

-another world