Hacking What System Menu Version do you use/perfer?

System Menu Versions List:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
4.2 because I prefer to have up to date features & bugfixes (who can be 100% sure updates only brings anti-homebrew stuff ?) and because I can do all I used to to do in older versions. The only thing that newer system menu can't do is running the Twilight hack (who need to runs that anyway when we have bannerbomb ?).

I don't understand why people are speaking about trucha disc to promote 3.2, isn't the signature bug an IOS stuff , not related to system menu version or did I miss something ? You can be on 4.2 and having patched IOS as well.

More generally, it seems like many people are messing System Menu and IOS versions, just like they mess PSP firmwares with a presumed Wii "firmware" . The biggest downside of that imo is that someone new to Wii modding immediately thinks he has to "downgrade" somehow like on other systems, when we all know the bad consequences it has.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
My reasoning for updating to 4.2 is the same as yours, but some people like to have things 'the way they are' aka if ain't broke don't try fixing it. You can safely update to 4.2 without breaking anything and since you can use TBR to regain Trucha quite easily, I too see no reason. Also as Ive already stated I like my 4.2E DarkWii Theme, looks awesome. Bigger and better selection of csm and mym files out there for 4.2 than 3.2, another bonus

EDIT: Its seems that 4.2 is winning in the poll

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Wever said:
In fact, the conversation at my house went a bit like this:
Wii: Hi! There's a new update for my firmware.
smile.gif
Click here to upd...
Wever: whoah, slow down, there! You sound like you assume that I want to update. Now why is that?
Wii: What? Oh...well, I'm just enthousiastic, that's all. Nintendo worked hard to deliver the best gaming experience for you, so I figured you'd be thrilled to hear...
Wever: *gives a long, hard "nice try" stare*
Wii: you...don't want to update?
Wever: hmm..."thrilled", you say? But...I am already thrilled by your performance. Just how is this update going to increase my thrill-level?
Wii: *a bit unsure* well...it's mostly behind-the-scenes enhancements. And I'll free up extra blocks by deleting some unauthorized files. Nothing to worry about...only some junk that would have voided your warranty. So...you want to update?
biggrin.gif

Wever: *devil's advocate voice* what kind of behind-the-scene enhancements? As far as I understood from other sites, it's just a few minor IOS updates. Nothing noticeably, let alone be worthy of being called an "enhancement".
Wii: yeah, well...erm...it's not that it isn't true, but...it still updates some of my inner workings. I'm sure you'll like it.
Wever: that's another assumption. And a clever way to avoid mentioning that you're turning into Big Brother.
Wii: who? Me? Noooo!
Wever: you're mine, aren't you? I mean...I still have the coupon. So why do you want to remove unauthorized files? It was me who put them there in the first place!
Wii: now wait...I agree that I'm yours. But you've got an agreement with nintendo that you aren't allowed to run mods 'n stuff like that on me. It'll...
Wever: *interrupts* yeah, yeah, I know. It'll void my warranty...
Wii: see? So if you want to keep to the warranty, you should...
Wever: ...which just HAPPENS to have expired over a year ago.
evil.gif

Wii: ...
Wii: oh.
frown.gif

Wever: that's right. You're no longer in nintendo's factory anymore. You're MINE!!! Muhahahaha!!!
evil.gif

Wii: so...I take it you don't want to update?
Wever: take a guess!
cool.gif

Wii: ...
Wii: *clicks "no" to update*
Wever: damn right. Let that be a lesson, ninty. I'll update when and if I feel like it!
cool.gif

LOLZ XD

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
WOW this is getting really stoopid now...

Who really cares... If someone follows advice to downgrade to 3.2 and it bricks then that is THEIR fault for obviously not reading up enough and just going for it gung-ho... As for 4.2... Its not that long ago we had the board full of bricked wii's because again idiots couldnt follow a guide and were not installing correct IOS's or trying to downgrade again because of the region free thing and installing stubs along the way.

I have a 4.2 now. It is that way because I was bored and decided to do it. Apart from the SD menu I see no advantage. What I will say is that If it works and you can do without the SD menu then whats the harm.

If the guy wants to tell people to downgrade then let them..... There is no reason to get so annoyed about it.... Telling a noob to do anything is dangerous and no doubt for every 10 that follow it and get a success 1 will fail and thats for both downgrading/upgrading.

How many times a day do you answer the same question over and over again?? Why is this??? Because people want to be led by the hand and if they are not willing to help themselves then taking blind advice to do anything is stupid.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Its not 'stoopid', last time I checked this was a forum. The point of this topic is to voice and vote which FW you prefer (and optionally, why). A healthy deabte, whats wrong with you man!!

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm on 4.1. The reason is very simple: I didn't have Zelda at that time, so needed to update to 4.0 first for the bannerbomb hack to get my wii modded.
Updated to 4.1 when it came out and seemed save acc to the wii scene sites.

Didn't update to 4.2 right away cause of all the disturbing news of loads of bricked wii's cause of the system update.
For me it's like a new version of windows, I never install it when it is released but simply wait for the first service pack to come out, so I'm sure most bugs/incompatibility probs are gone
laugh.gif

I might update to 4.x eventually or I might not, depends on future game releases/protections and hack compatibility.
But I don't really see the need to update atm.

MalayZN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
4.1............ too lazy to update to 4.2.... but everything work sdhc was since 4.0 I think my 16gb is working and USB loader all the way~!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MalayZN said:
4.1............ too lazy to update to 4.2.... but everything work sdhc was since 4.0 I think my 16gb is working and USB loader all the way~!

4.2............ too lazy to update shop any other way (BBC iPlayer rocks if you're in the UK).

rigsbynation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Something I can't understand is why people are so inherent with staying on old system menus. Fair enough if something you use isn't usable on newer ones. But isn't everything hacked up to date? I'm on 4.1, will go 4.2 when needed but who cares? They all do the same, some get rid of trucha, but thats what TBR is for.
Having an up to date system is neither here nor there, as long as it plays everything you want, why would you need to update?

I can see perhaps with custom themes etc there may be a need, but personally don't bother with any custom menu stuff, too old for all that game

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
just drop by to say i am at 4.1. recently, i do not even boot or use system menu at all...always at HBC...as long as i could play the games that i want with it.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elmariachi said:
I'm on 4.1. The reason is very simple: I didn't have Zelda at that time, so needed to update to 4.0 first for the bannerbomb hack to get my wii modded.

Bannerbomb has 2 (sets of) versions. 1 for SM 4.0 and above (uses the SD menu) and the other works on ALL older versions. You never had to upgrade for that.

I do agree that there isn't much reason to go above 4.1 unless you and your family play WSR a lot.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
urherenow said:
I do agree that there isn't much reason to go above 4.1 unless you and your family play WSR a lot.
What does WSR have to do with this?
The WSR fix is in 4.1, not 4.2
huh.gif

On Topic: I'm on 4.1E now
I don't se any reason to update (already have the latest IOS)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my bad... got my versions mixed up.
so 4.0 actually added functionality for a change
4.1 fixed a bug for WSR
4.2 was just plain EVIL (but it's really no sweat now)

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
On Topic: I'm on 4.1E now
I don't se any reason to update (already have the latest IOS)
maybe because some just wants to be on the latest firmware even though they know there are no added features at all after the update.

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
urherenow said:
elmariachi said:

Bannerbomb has 2 (sets of) versions. 1 for SM 4.0 and above (uses the SD menu) and the other works on ALL older versions. You never had to upgrade for that.

Checked the bannerbomb page again and you're right.
I actually didn't know it would have worked on 3.2 aswell
laugh.gif

Ah well I'm pleased with 4.1, so dunnot rly matter anyways
smile.gif

Sabin_Figaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
i am not bothered with peopl staying on 3.2 (Hell I was on 3.3 for long time)

but people telling others to DOWNGRADE when it's NOT NECESSARY with MANY RISKS make me god mad.

As for the poll, I like 4.2

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both of mine are on 4.2. My new (bought used) one was on 3.2 when I got it last week and I took it to 4.2 as soon as it came.....no reason to stay on old menu system. Maybe I should downgrade my compter from win7 to win95. *lol*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: