What should I sell them for then

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Game Dragon, Feb 9, 2011.

Feb 9, 2011
  1. Game Dragon
    OP

Member Game Dragon GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I like the DSi XL with DS2 card for DS games but I absolutely love the SNES, GBA, SEGA retro games that the DS2 card can't play or has trouble playing, a friend of mine has a PSP and showed me the games it could play, oh boy that’s for me I didn't even think about of the PSP as a retro games machine
    I am now selling my DSi XL which is sold to my friend which leaves me 2 of DS2 I think I will just give them away locally saves the trouble of posting them and getting paid for them
    So I am off to the PSP side of things
    Thanks all

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    well u can put the two microsd cards in one memory stick for the psp

Btw, don't become the next redbaron

3. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    next redbaron?

4. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    I thought that the PSP took Sony MS cards, is there an adaptor to use micro SDHC cards if so I will keep them, any good?

5. viz

Member viz neckbeard

United States
    hes referring to the photofast cr-5400

it lets you use two microsd card for one pro duo

6. Game Dragon
    OP

Australia
    Thank you that will come in handy [​IMG]

7. severed

Newcomer severed Member

United States
    3ds launches within a month... next gen psp later this year

DSiXL > PSP

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    He wants it for emulation, and the PSP is way better than the DS in that aspect.

9. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Btw if you don't need the DSTwo, I'd take one for postal price [​IMG]

-Qtis

10. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I have both PSP and DS and DS is much better. Emulation? Yeah the PSP is better for SNES, and NES but the GBA is better on the DS2 according to my tests with some games. Why do you even want to play all those old games...

11. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It doesn't matter too much, but you must be aware that in order to play homebrew, emulators, and retro games on the PSP, you have to hack it and install custom firmware first.

Trying to install custom firmware requires exploiting a hole in the current one. Both that and the installation process has the potential to brick the psp, which would mean you lost your product that you bought, and the store isn't obligated to replace it.

Now, the risk/reward ratio is 1:1, so it's not known if it's a good idea or not, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you knew exactly what you were doing and had a way to undo any potential damage, no matter how big. Otherwise, I'd recommend just staying with the DS and the SC DS2, and hope Team SC makes their emulators better, and quickly.

12. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    psh [​IMG] take chances and hack up your psp, it's worth the risk

13. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    This
    I don't know how I could use my PSP for so long without hacking it. Your can customize the shit out of it and play a whole lot of homebrew and there are the emulators too.

14. Rydian

United States
    Which emulator? gPSP-J is actually a hell of a speed/compatibility improvement over the standard versions.

15. nesdude0011

Newcomer nesdude0011 Member

United States
    I have "want to buy video games/systems" ad in a local free newspaper. I got a call today from someone looking to get rid of a PSP (I'm not sure what model, but she said it was grey) and 6 games for $60, but I'm pretty sure she would take less (I'm considering offering $40). I told her I would think about it and call back tomorrow.
    The only thing I want this for is to emulate old systems. I'm mostly interested in NES,SNES,Genesis,N64. How well does the PSP run those systems? How exactly do you run homebrew on a PSP? Do they use a flashcard?
    Can the PSP run homebrew that can do things that the DSiXL can't?

16. Rydian

United States
    For future reference, there's a PSP section.
    http://gbatemp.net/f44-sony-psp

Yes. The PSP is much more powerful than the DS series. The DS series can't even emulate GBA without additional hardware, while the PSP plays most games perfect at full speed, to compare them.

17. nesdude0011

United States
    Thanks for the awesome reply! Alright, so let me get this straight. The models with firmware 5.03 or less are good to go (with the exception of one of the slim version with motherboard 088 v3). How do I know what the motherboard version is?
    Also, the only difference between a fully hackable system and a semi is that the semi needs to be re done every single time you turn it off? Just how difficult is it to reset the hack?
    If all things are good to go, and it has firmware 5.03, how much is this thing worth? I don't want to overpay.

18. Rydian

United States
    Even with the TA-088v3, as long as you're on 5.03 you can use a 5.x softmod giving normal emulation capability. The problem with those motherboards is the lack of downgrading, so if it's later than that firmware you're stuck with the later hacks that don't support as much.

Read the FAQ to find how to get motherboard info, as there's no short way of saying it.

Yes, the fully-hackable stays hacked, the semi-hackable loses it when it's turned off. The hacks are very easy to re-apply, they generally involve simply running a program/game from the menu, loading a hacked save game (or loading an image instead of a game), and pressing X to continue.

Getting a PSP with 5.03 or less installed for $60 is a good deal considering what people try to charge for known-hackable models.

19. nesdude0011

United States

Alright, I just got off the phone with her, and I had to check the firmware over the phone, and she said it was version 4.3 (I believe). It was definitely a version 4, but I'm not sure what she said after that.
    Does this mean that it is 100% hackable?

20. Rydian

United States
    It means that you can definitely update it to 5.03 and hack it.

Whether the hack is permanent (not lost when turned off) or temporary (need to re-hack when you turn it on) we can't tell, but you can definitely do a 5.x hack and get proper emulation on it.

Be sure to check out the FAQ and then the softmod sticky when you get the PSP, and enjoy using it.