What scene or event in a video game affected you the most.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to admit, even for being only video games, there are some scenes in certain ones that always seem to get to me.

****ing SPOILER ALERT'S. Don't read this or this thread if you haven't played and/or don't want to get spoiled

Final Fantasy VI (SNES and GBA version)
Event: Cele's Grandpa's death
This scene always gets me, it always does. It's so sad, so very very sad. Worst part was that I got it on my first playthrough (I was 15 at the time, and I hadn't booted the old SNES cart up in 5 years, and had just barely cleared the Floating Continent the day before and watched you-know-who blast the you-know-what into heaven knows what or where). God I cried so much during those cutscenes.....lucky for me nobody was home at the time aside from me, but oh my gosh, I actually cried at a video game for once. It even happened when I got the GBA version for the holidays one year and played through to that point.

Chrono Trigger (SNES and any other version)
Event: Bad Ending
Something about this ending always seems to disturb me, I'm pretty sure what it is too. Something about trying your hardest to beat Lavos only to have him lolpwn you and ruin the world doesn't settle with me right. One time though I ran into the portal at New Game+ at the millenial fair, and got my ass handed to me, and I couldn't figure out why. It donned on me at that point, I had forgotten to equip Chrono and Marle with their higher equipment before. I actually laughed that time during the ending, it was too freaking funny, although not as funny as when I lolpwn'ed Lavos himself with...

Chrono's Godly Mop of the Heavens! Yeah, weakened him with everything else and then smacked him once I knew I would cause enough damage to kill him. It still humors me to this day for some reason.

Anyway, those are the only two scenes that have emotionally touched me for the most part.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 5. Galuf's Death. I was so fucking pissed when I thought that I lost a character that I grinded levels on SO MUCH (I think I reached a high level in some type of buffing class, and he was a BEAST). I also thought that I lost his equipment.

Then came Faris. Boy, was I happy when I realized that she took all of his skills.

And goddammit riyaz, you just spoiled the whole game for me.
frown.gif
I guess it was to be expected.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first played Super Mario Bros. and I was terrible. It took me hours to finally reach the end of the first castle. I got to the end and was so happy that I finally got to rescue the princess. I beat "Bowser" and get to the next room, where all I see is this dude with a mushroom on his head. I thought "Yeah, okay. The princess is gonna come out any minute now to give Mario a kiss and thank him for saving her."

The words he said to me haunt my very soul to this day... "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"

This ticked me off a bit, but it wasn't a big deal, all I had to do was get to the next castle, Mario couldn't possibly choose wrong twice. And the mushroom douche had to have given him directions to the correct one.

Little did I know that six more castles had this mushroom douche in them... and I would visit every single one on my way to the princess.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Valkyria Chronicles....the whole game, lol. Most specifically: (maaajor spoiler)

Isara's death. Really, that was the most tragic moment i've ever seen in a videogame. It was so ridiculously sad, and to add insult to injury, Rosie even sings at her grave. That was just a sucker punch. They even carried the emotion from her death through to the very end of the game, especially the final scene/credits. I swear to god I just lost it when Isara's name was called at the end...and Welkin and Alicia's adorable little daughter comes out. That was such a fantastic way to end the game.

(not a spoiler \/)
QUOTE said:
On the 15th day of the third month of the year 1935, the
Empire began its assault in earnest. A formal declaration of war was made upon
Gallia. Though it was only a small front in a massive continental assault,
what followed would prove that a tiny nation could best a military giant. These
events would tell a story of tragedy hidden in the mists of time. A story of
courage and of trust, of persecution and hate, and of love blooming, even
through the flames of war. What follows is a record of this conflict, and of
those who fought, lived, and died. --Irene Koller, "On the Gallian Front"

You can bet your ass the game tells a story exactly as it says. So if I had to pick a scene or event that "affected me the most" in a videogame, it'd be the entire damn game of Valkyria Chronicles.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Kingdom Hearts II - Axel's Death
He was my favourite character
frown.gif

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion's Death
Again it was sad but not tear evoking though.

Radiant Historia - Stocke's Death
When Stocke (the main hero) sacrifices his life for a particular ritual to save the world.

D

Deleted User

Slyakin said:
Final Fantasy 5. Galuf's Death. I was so fucking pissed when I thought that I lost a character that I grinded levels on SO MUCH (I think I reached a high level in some type of buffing class, and he was a BEAST). I also thought that I lost his equipment.

Then came Faris. Boy, was I happy when I realized that she took all of his skills.

And goddammit riyaz, you just spoiled the whole game for me.
frown.gif
I guess it was to be expected.
lol srry
sad.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For me, it's close to none. Which is kind of strange, because with movies/television and even books, I do tend to get emotionally attached.

I mean...of course I feel for what characters go through, but it just doesn't impact me that much. I can get worked up over a broken or failed savegame, but I hardly care for what NPC's or even characters go through (if one of my party would fall in a ravine or something, my only reaction would be a "NOOOOOOOO!!! My health packs!!!"*).

I mean...in fallout 3...
I faintly remember your father dies at some point. I couldn't care less. Same for that ending, where you had to make some moral choice I can't remember right now. An "everybody lives" or "everybody dies" sort of option.

The thing that came closest was in the FPS Unreal. You had some piecefull characters in that game (Nali), who would usually be beaten up by brutal enemies (skaarj...they had remarkably good AI for that time). However, at one point in the game, you come accross a Nali who just stands there. On top of a wooden floor you need to crack by shooting the boxes hanging from the ceiling.

...and that fellow just refuses to budge. I tried pushing. I tried humping his leg. I tried shooting him with a soft gun. I tried...well, it's a FPS, so the options are a bit limited. But man, I didn't want to kill him. And not because they usually opened secret doors if you rescued them, but just out of empathy. too bad.

So...yeah. I killed him. Unfortunate enough.
frown.gif

(in addition, that level was called 'Na Pali heaven', so I have even no idea where that fellow was supposed to have his afterlife).

*I once played an old D&D game (legend of temple darkmoon) where you meet up with a thief pretty early in the game. He will steal stuff from you as soon as you rest...so once I knew that (and reloaded), I took him in my party, had him killed immediately, then dragged his corpse along for half the game because dead people could still somehow carry all the stuff you looted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later