What scene or event in a video game affected you the most.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Nimbus, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Nimbus
    OP

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I have to admit, even for being only video games, there are some scenes in certain ones that always seem to get to me.

****ing SPOILER ALERT'S. Don't read this or this thread if you haven't played and/or don't want to get spoiled

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Anyway, those are the only two scenes that have emotionally touched me for the most part.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Final Fantasy X's voice acting evoked emotions of anger in me. Bar the laughing scene, I just felt pity for the voice actors.

3. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

when ventus loses his heart.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States

And goddammit riyaz, you just spoiled the whole game for me. [​IMG] I guess it was to be expected.

5. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    The ending of Secret of Mana. Enough said.

6. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    When I first played Super Mario Bros. and I was terrible. It took me hours to finally reach the end of the first castle. I got to the end and was so happy that I finally got to rescue the princess. I beat "Bowser" and get to the next room, where all I see is this dude with a mushroom on his head. I thought "Yeah, okay. The princess is gonna come out any minute now to give Mario a kiss and thank him for saving her."

The words he said to me haunt my very soul to this day... "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"

This ticked me off a bit, but it wasn't a big deal, all I had to do was get to the next castle, Mario couldn't possibly choose wrong twice. And the mushroom douche had to have given him directions to the correct one.

Little did I know that six more castles had this mushroom douche in them... and I would visit every single one on my way to the princess.

7. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Valkyria Chronicles....the whole game, lol. Most specifically: (maaajor spoiler)

(not a spoiler \/)
    You can bet your ass the game tells a story exactly as it says. So if I had to pick a scene or event that "affected me the most" in a videogame, it'd be the entire damn game of Valkyria Chronicles.

8. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain

9. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Back in the day... I was sooo happy when I realized that you could travel to Kanto in Gold & Silver

10. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Kirby Air Ride made me question my sanity. To this day I can't play it.

11. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    lol srry [​IMG]

12. Ron457x2

Member Ron457x2 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sly cooper 2 where bently became disabled. That poor turtle [​IMG]
    But he's boss in sly 3 though [​IMG]

13. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    For me, it's close to none. Which is kind of strange, because with movies/television and even books, I do tend to get emotionally attached.

I mean...of course I feel for what characters go through, but it just doesn't impact me that much. I can get worked up over a broken or failed savegame, but I hardly care for what NPC's or even characters go through (if one of my party would fall in a ravine or something, my only reaction would be a "NOOOOOOOO!!! My health packs!!!"*).

I mean...in fallout 3...

The thing that came closest was in the FPS Unreal. You had some piecefull characters in that game (Nali), who would usually be beaten up by brutal enemies (skaarj...they had remarkably good AI for that time). However, at one point in the game, you come accross a Nali who just stands there. On top of a wooden floor you need to crack by shooting the boxes hanging from the ceiling.

...and that fellow just refuses to budge. I tried pushing. I tried humping his leg. I tried shooting him with a soft gun. I tried...well, it's a FPS, so the options are a bit limited. But man, I didn't want to kill him. And not because they usually opened secret doors if you rescued them, but just out of empathy. too bad.

So...yeah. I killed him. Unfortunate enough. [​IMG]

(in addition, that level was called 'Na Pali heaven', so I have even no idea where that fellow was supposed to have his afterlife).

*I once played an old D&D game (legend of temple darkmoon) where you meet up with a thief pretty early in the game. He will steal stuff from you as soon as you rest...so once I knew that (and reloaded), I took him in my party, had him killed immediately, then dragged his corpse along for half the game because dead people could still somehow carry all the stuff you looted.