What role does knowledge play when on the internet?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by The Milkman, May 20, 2013.

1. The Milkman
    OP

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Simple question,

I just want to hear what you say, let the discussion begin!

2. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    Define knowledge

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    If someone knows more than me, they are a stuck up neckbeard who needs a girlfriend as badly as they need a shower.

If someone knows less than me, they are a complete moron that should die in the nearest hole lest they breed and spread their stupid genes to another generation.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Knowledge of reading a fucking sticky!

Sicklyboy, xwatchmanx and 431unknown like this.
  5. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Knowledge is useful information gleaned from experience and study. It is used sometimes to help those who lack it but are willing to learn.
    Opinions, however, masquerade as knowledge and often give knowledge a bad name.

That's my opinion anyway. :P

koimayeul and 431unknown like this.
  6. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    It's always the runner-up in the fight with opinion.

7. The Milkman
    OP

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Ok cool, but do you think knowing more then someone necessarily makes your argument any better? The reason I ask is because I see it brought up quite often here, yet often these are the kinds of things a quick google search could provide.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You forgot to mention the worst-case scenario - if someone knows just about as much as I do, he or she becomes an archrival (especially when said person dares to have a different opinion than my own) who deserves nothing but to be destroyed which is why it is entirely justifiable to go out of my own way to prove my archrival wrong. Failure is not an option.

There is also the rare instance of people agreeing on the Internet (somewhere between the probability of getting hit by a thunder during a sunny day with clear skies when you're in a basement and the probability of being crushed under a whale which was thrown into the sky by a tsunami and carried over to your location by a tornado) in which case archrivals forget about their differences and proceed to rub their penises together till climax.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  9. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    I'd say it would be your intelligence. Call someone stupid, say something stupid in your line, get ready for so many people quoting or replying, telling you that you turn out stupid!

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Knowledge is actually reading, learning, confirming, then sharing that information. At least to me that's how I see it.

EZ-Megaman, 431unknown and Narayan like this.
  11. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    It does nothing. I study a subject that most people will avoid more than cooking mama

12. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    This reads like a trap topic...

I'd say that knowledge is one of the fundamental reasons why people use the internet. Ask yourself why you joined this forum. It was either because you wanted to know something or wanted to share information that you thought might help others who didn't know what you did. Without people who possess an easy knowledge of a subject things start falling apart until the weight of opinion or sentiment take over.

Your pre-edit OP intimated that people who have more knowledge or experience shouldn't be given the right of "being right" just because they have that extra knowledge...i think you meant some of the discussions that involve people bringing experience or learning into the debate as validation of their argument. Like it or not if someone has spent time learning or experiencing a subject their view is fundamentally better versed than someone who's read something in a couple of articles, extrapolated and then thought they were right.

For instance take medical questions as an extreme example. If you ask a question on this forum are you going to trust a random teenager who can use google, or a medical student or someone who's actually worked in the health profession in a relevant field? If you have any sense it's the latter options because they have more knowledge.

As it is your initial premise isn't really broad enough to cover the discussion you want to prove/disprove as the cursory way you've set it up leans hugely to the side of "knowing things is best".

13. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    i find sharing certain informations quite hard in some places.
    they would think i'm an idiot or a heretic.

The Catboy likes this.
  14. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    This is the majority of people on mainstream websites. I've learned my lesson, and stopped arguing with stupid people, they never learn.

15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Like Gahars said, anyone who knows more than me is a nerd who should get a life, anyone who knows less than me is an ignorant moron. But if the whole thing takes place on the internet, there is no excuse for not finding out as much as I know so the guy is a double moron for not knowing. lrn2google, morans!

16. The Milkman
    OP

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Pre-edit came off as a trap topic, that's the whole reason I changed it, and wasn't exactly trying to prove a point, rather to see what the general consensus was on this. From the replies, it seems to have quite the variation in reasons.

After all, there's nothing wrong with explaining something people base some much off of.

17. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    Who gives a fuck?!.

18. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Was the e a mistake or a barbed edit?

Also on the topic of knowledge, are you in the US, an American in the UK, a Brit in the UK or some other bizarre combo? Your flag contradictions confuzzle me...

19. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Considering the chances of being hit by thunder, not lightning, is zero, that's pretty damn low. :P

xist likes this.
  20. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Clearly you've never been thunderstruck.

xwatchmanx likes this.