What programs should I get?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Jul 1, 2009.

Jul 1, 2009

What programs should I get? by Splych at 4:09 PM (2,853 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    It was really laggy before... And now it isn't ^^.

What programs should I get that any basic computer should have? So far I got these...

- uTorrent
    - avast! Antivirus
    - Opera, FireFox

So what else do I need? I am thinking of sticking with FireFox or Opera, which ever is better for me. Don't tell meh anything, because I am gonna try to get used to using Opera. If it doesn't work out, I am gonna use FireFox xDD.

Any recommended Spyware Removers, Customization Programs, and that's it... I am not gonna get the uxtheme.dll patcher. Last time I used it, then everytime I right clicked, it was really slow. It took forever, but everything else was fast. But now, it is fast again. Damn it... I forgot, I deleted Windows Blinds x_x. I shouldn't have done that... but oh well. I can survive with just using Rocket Dock, to make my desktop look nice xDD. And maybe RainMeter too.

EDIT: Also have:
    - 7-Zip
    - Paint.NET
    - Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)

And soon to be... PhotoShop CS4 and a bunch of other CS4 stuff.

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Launchy, C Cleaner, Revo Uninstaller, Rocketdock, Tweetdeck if you have twitter, Mediamonkey/Songbird, Postbox/Thunderbird, a Codec pack, Auslogics disk defrag....

3. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    Rocketdock? Are you an idiot.

Get Spybot seek and destroy, change your antivirus to AVG, use firefox 3 , maybe get zonealarm as a firewall and then that's it. Then get.. whatever you want? Windows Live Messenger? Steam? mIRC?

4. Ferrariman

Canada
    "People are stupidz because they don't share my opinion lol"

5. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Launchy... Doesn't look like I need.
    C Cleaner, getting it ^^
    Revo Uninstaller, getting it ^^
    Rocket Dock, already have
    Tweetdeck, don' need...
    Mediamonkey/Songbird, I think I am gonna get AveDesk.
    Postbox/Thunderbird, I might get Thunderbird depending on how good Outlook 2007 is.
    Codec pack? Gotta google that.
    Auslogics... Gotta google that too.

EDIT: I hate AVG... I had a few viruses one time that only avast! or Avira could detect. Good luck with AVG. I will never go with them again.
    Spybot Search and Destroy. I already have it since dad recommended that.
    Zone Alarm, I used to have it. Very annoying... But I might try it. Always sent me emails and filled my whole inbox >_<
    And wtf is wrong with you? Rocketdock is pro...

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    VLC, Taskbar Shuffle and of course lots of emulators. ZSNES, VBA-M, Kega Fusion and PSX Emulator would be my first choices. [​IMG]

7. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    CCCP

8. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    So here is what I currently have xDD.

Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Spy Bot S&D, No FireWall.
    Typing and stuff: Office 2007
    Media player: Windows Media Player (yea yea... Still looking for one)
    Web Browsers: FireFox, Opera, IE8
    Image Editing: Paint.NET, M$ Paint, (Gonna get PhotoShop, but still gotta install other programs)
    Games: CoD4
    Messenger: Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger
    Other: Revo Uninstaller, Garena, Rocketdock, uTorrent,

==

Thinking of getting a gmail, and a yahoo email. A lot right, but it will be fun to have multiple accounts... But the gmail will be used for signing up for things. Such as gaming sites or forums. And then will register it to Outlook.

9. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    A couple of little apps that help out every-so-often:

Unlocker: Helps delete files that may be in use by another program... most of the time said program has crashed or something.
    Eraser: A very nice file-shredder that works with your recycle bin.

10. SirSweeps

Newcomer SirSweeps Advanced Member

United States
    HxD hex editor has come in handy and I also have to recommend Audacity not just for recording but can also clean up audio files ... I use it all the time to clean up songs I recorded with my phone at concerts ...
    By the way I got the last Video games live! if anyone wants a listen ...

11. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Personally, I think WinRAR performs better (though I do commend the open-source nature of 7-zip). Since you're probably going to pirate everything anyways, I don't think you care about the price.
    Definitely get Foxit PDF Reader, it's a very good alternative PDF reader and is a lot 'lighter' than the Adobe one.
    I'd say ESET NOD32 over Avast. However, if you're going to buy your anti-virus I'd say get Kaspersky, because pirating Kaspersky is a lot harder than ESET.
    You should definitely try out Chrome. It's a very light and fast browser, though it does hog up some memory occasionally.
    Don't bother with Zonealarm unless you don't have a hardware firewall (do you have a router or DSL modem?). Having a software firewall can get quite annoying, especially if you like to play online games or torrent.
    I'd say get VLC for media. Though it doesn't have the best performance on H.264/other HD media. I've heard good things about BSPlayer

EDIT:
    What OS do you have? And 64-bit or 32-bit?
    Sorry, didn't read topic description.

12. Gibble

Newcomer Gibble Newbie

Canada
    My first apps installed after a fresh format
    uTorrent
    7zip
    CCleaner
    Combined Community Codec Pack
    Comodo Internet Security
    Deamon Tools Lite
    Defraggler
    DoPDF
    Foobar2000
    The GIMP
    InfraRecorder
    Firefox
    Notepad++
    OpenOffice
    Paint.net
    Quicktime Alternative
    Real Alternative
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    VirtualBox (with a fresh xp install again [I install questionable/or used less frequently programs in here to avoid having them affect my 'main' system [​IMG]])
    XnView

and ofcourse my games ^^

13. Ferrariman

Canada

14. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    @ BiscuitBee ~ Hmm... I might try those...

@Sir Sweeps ~ I don't really use Hex Editing... So that won't be used. I used to have Audacity before I re-installed windows, but since I never did use it when I got it, I won't be putting it up. But will just note it just in case since I may end up using it.

@iritegoods ~ Windows XP SP3 xDD. I think 7-Zip is good enough for me. I only use it to extract stuff whenever I download some stuff, so I won't need anything special. ESET, I won't be using. since I am stuck with free stuff and won't be pirating unless, needed. For games xD. But I will consider using it... Don't need a PDF reader... But I can understand that the Adobe one is pretty heavy... Router. Since I am not the admin of my network, my dad is, so I am just connected to a router. VLC... Someone should really tell me what that is :wtf:

@ Gibble ~ Got... uTorrent, 7-Zip, CCleaner, Firefox, Paint.NET and that's it. I might consider Foobar, but still, I can't decide between Foobar, Winamp and Songbird.

@Ferrari ~ ... I am gonna get that xD.

15. iritegood

United States
    VLC is a media player. No need for codec packs or anything, it should run anything you plan on watching. For music: Foobar is a fine piece of software, but it depends on how patient you are. There's a lot of customization and tweaking you can do to make it look great and work the way you want (check out deviantart.com), but it can take a while. IMO, Winamp is better for listening to quick songs rather than a media-library like iTunes. I haven't used Songbird in a while but the last time I tried it out I enjoyed the features and 'complete-ness' of it, though I felt it was a bit bloated.
    You shouldn't have to worry about getting a software firewall then. And I still recommend you get a PDF reader. You're going to stumble across something eventually that's a PDF file and you're going to have to download something to read it. My recommendation: install Foxit and just forget about it.

16. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Avedesk was proving to be troublesome. So I won't be using that. I will try VLC, but still looking at other options. since I am looking for one that is customisable, so I can show it off to my friends x)

17. akash86

Newcomer akash86 Advanced Member

United States
    contact me for a full eset smart security BUSINESS EDITION!

18. iritegood

United States
    If you're into customizable stuff and show-off worthy effects, I would definitely recommend Foobar over Winamp or Songbird. Also, if you were planning on getting an instant messenger, I'd get Miranda. A great open-source IM cliente that allows full customization. You can make it fit with any visual style and have the buddy list pinned to the desktop/transparent, anything. It is quite confusing though, so unless you have a lot of time and patience to waste tweaking Miranda, I'd stick with one of the official IM clients.

19. akash86

Newcomer akash86 Advanced Member

United States
    contact me for a full eset smart security BUSINESS EDITION!

20. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Your post is idiotic.

I personally use RKLauncher, Everything (file finding program, uber indexer), Steam, Chrome, and TeraCopy

Also, iTunes, Combined Community Codec Package with Media Player Classic, Last.FM, CCleaner, Glary Utilities