Hacking What NAND backups does RestoreMii take?

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im trying to find a way to backup your NAND and be able to use the dump with RestoreMii.

Atm when I use dumped NAND it tells me its for another Wii, I'm 100% sure it from the same Wii tho ... so does it need a decrypted NAND?

Or is there a .dol/elf version of RestoreMii? (Would be a handy addition to Preloader
wink.gif
)

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uuuuh RestoreMii is the little app called that comes with BootMii

But I created the NAND dumps trough other means and just want to know what I need todo to make a NAND dump without using RestoreMii and still be able to use it to restore my NAND with RestoreMii.

Henche a RestoreMii.dol/elf would be awsome as you can install it together with Preloader
wink.gif

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ah yeah i see what you mean now lol

i read up on a page by bushing that if you lose your wii NAND and brick your wii and get the error the NAND is not from the same wii, then you have to reverse engineer the NAND and change keys or something.

for a while he did it for people in desperate need of it, but now he does it for like 10USD or something.

cant remember the website though sorry
tongue.gif

whats the problem with making a NAND dump through bootmii anyways?

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thats bogus!

I just made the NAND dump, reboot to start BootMii and start RestoreMii ... all I did was rename the NAND dump I made so RestoreMii would see it.

The problem with making a NAND dump trough BootMii is that if you are not able todo a BootMii/boot2 install and have no GameCube controller at hand ... you can't use the power button to select menu's.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The controlls aren't a bitch, but they simply don't work (due to a bug) in the IOS version.

So if you want to backup your NAND by other mean, you will not be able to restore via RestoreMii.

For example I made my NAND dump with RealWnD and want to restore it using BootMii's RestoreMii in the future ...

Henche that a dol/elf version of RestoreMii would be awsome as you can install it together with Preloader and use it that way for NAND restore
smile.gif

/edit: is there a Preloader compattible NAND dumper/flasher combination?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How would you even get to restoremii in the IOS version without a GC controller in the first place?

I don't think bootmii's restoremii is compatible with any other nand dumps, give it a break though, its only the second revision and is still in public beta. They put their focus on the boot2 installation as that was the one that actually provided something useful for people to use and only the people who bought their Wii's within the past year or so can't install to boot2. I believe they said they'd put more focus into the IOS version down the line, but for now this is what they have, so you have to deal with it for now.

Your best option is to just get a GC controller. If you really don't want to buy one see if you can borrow one and just make the proper nand.bin through bootmii.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hells Guardian said:
uses a bin file. the file must be dumped from the bootmii tool. So why the hell not just do that?

Well simply because it would be practical to be able to use non BootMii dumps ...

Lets say someone made a NAND dump with NAND dumper in the past/present or because he/she did not have a GameCube controller and no BootMii/boot2 install ...you can not use the power/reset/eject buttons due to a bug in the BootMii/IOS install currently.

So any NAND dumps you make would be useless with BootMii's RestoreMii,.

So are there other safe ways of dumping/flashing NAND using HBC or Preloader? Then the only dangerous step part about your Wii would be to have it brick before loading Preloader.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nabster92 said:
Your best option is to just get a GC controller. If you really don't want to buy one see if you can borrow one and just make the proper nand.bin through bootmii.

My own Wii has a BootMii/boot2 install.

Also installing BootMii/IOS is done with the WiiMote and the HackMii installer.

Im just curious about ways to flash your Wii in a safe manner ... so that you can restore NAND by either using BootMii (if possible) or another way if BootMii/boot2 is not possible ... due to lack of GameCube controller.

Some people are clearly missing the point here and trolling about "go getz gamekubez controller", but think about it ... you made a NAND dump in the past using NAND dumper and finally got BootMii installer ... your NAND dump was useless.

Some people assume dumps are the same, Ive done electronics myself and have worked with alot of programmable chips ... but this is the first time I see a dump/writing program that is not able to take other dumps ... a dump is a dump end of story ... what is the difference? There should be none ... unless something inside the dump changed between taking dumps.

/edit: RealWnW for example is able to flash ANY dump and that is how a dumper/writer should work.

So what is the real difference between the images? There should be a simple conversion possible to make any NAND (made from your system) to be flashed by BootMii's RestoreMii.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats exactly it. the other dumps don't have the system keys included in it. Edit the old dump to include these keys and you should be able to use it. Or just say fuck it and get a GC Controller......... Honestly I would advise getting a GC controller because it has so many uses for so many things.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some people still do not understand that I don't need a GameCube controller? As I can simply use the power/reset/eject when using the BootMii/boot2 install. Next to that I have a GameCube + controllers :s

Its just a what if situation, now lets find out what I need todo to get a RealWnR dump working
smile.gif

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don´t get me wrong but why not simply use bootmii for the NAND backup and if someone have Bootmii as IOS and no GC Controller he can still get a GC Controller or wait for a update. It´s not like you can´t get a GC Controller. And by the way if you don´t have a GC Controller (and Bootmii as IOS) you can still not navigate and restore any NAND Dump so why even bother to get other NAND dumps working.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because someone might want to restore his old NAND backup made before the BootMii hype?

In BootMii/IOS I can NOT use the buttons on the Wii:

"How do I control the BootMii menu without a WiiMote?

Use a GC pad in port 1 to navigate the menu. If you don't have one, you can use the Power button to cycle through options in the menu, and Reset to select. You just need to briefly press each button. Note: a bug in BootMii/IOS currently prevents this from working, sorry."

Quote from http://bootmii.org/faq

Its just plain stupid to say, well fuck your old backup and make a new one with BootMii ... thats VERY shortsighted and is NOT the reason why people would backup their NAND in the first place!

Think about all the precious backups you made with NAND dumper before BootMii came out ... and they simply don't work? Thats rediculous!

/edit: typo

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ideally you should make frequent backups anyway since if a block in the NAND becomes unusable (bad) and that particular block in your backup holds a critical file, it won't be able to be restored.

sfjuocekr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tueidj said:
Ideally you should make frequent backups anyway since if a block in the NAND becomes unusable (bad) and that particular block in your backup holds a critical file, it won't be able to be restored.

This chance is almost nihil and not a reason why we should NOT be able to use non BootMii NAND dumps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1