Hacking What microSD card are you using and how does it work.

gamadaya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably going to get a Supercard One. I've heard about the psram bug, but I'm not as worried about that as I am about the microSD card issues. I've heard Kingston and Toshiba cards that are manufactured in Japan work without a hitch (I'm talking no slowdown at all). Is this true for you guys? This is sort of the deal breaker here, as I don't want to get a Supercard just to find out it doesn't like my microSD card. The CycloDS is the other card I'm looking at, but the Supercard One has more features that I like, and is cheaper.

Dardon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've owned my SC DS1 for a few days now so I only played a few DS games here and there (DQ IV, Pokemon Pearl, Kirby Superstar Ultra, Sonic Chron.) I haven't noticed any issues other then I can't seem to run Sonic in patch mode because it will white screen when I save.

I use a 4GB SDHC class 4 card made by pqi. Doing the HD Tach testing for 8mb zones I get a Random Access time of .7ms, and for 32MB I get .7ms as well. Not sure which zone testing is preferred for flash cart data, but thats my benchmark with the card 1/2 full encase somebody else cares. My SC DS1 also says its "too slow" for the speed detect setting (or whatever its called) so Im not sure myself.

Never did the "Castlevania PoR test" so I'm not sure how that infamous game holds up to my mircoSD.

Edit: just did the Castlevania test. I couldn't get to the 1st save point because I was doing the rapid pausing test of it. 2nd time I was able to save and when I got to the portal it froze but the game music still played. 3rd time i did get to the portal and then saved, but it did the same when I paused. My guess, not a good card for PoR. Its a Taiwan btw, and I'm not complaining since I paid 10 bucks for it. I'll wait for cheaper, better SDHC in the 8GB+ range.

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Kingston cards made in Japan supposedly run the best, but I have a Kingston Taiwan and I haven't expierenced any slow downs. (I haven't tried Castlevania because I'm not interested in it)

gamadaya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Luckily, I have PoR, so that's not really an issue. CPhantom and Zaiga, could you tell me what class your cards are? Will I be OK with a 4, or do I have to get a 6?

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gamadaya said:
Luckily, I have PoR, so that's not really an issue. CPhantom and Zaiga, could you tell me what class your cards are? Will I be OK with a 4, or do I have to get a 6?

Class 4 is good. What size are you getting? I think SDHC cards need to be class 4 or up? I'm not sure on that though.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using an A-Data 4 GB SDHC card (it's class 6 IIRC). Seems to work pretty well, though the supercard is rating my particular card a 22 (rather than a 25). Before that I was using a Sandisk card, but it seemed slow, so I got the A-Data card to try it and then returned the Sandisk card. The A-Data was definitely faster (could definitely see the difference in applications such as NeoDS and Quake 2 DS) and cost less than half the price, so I'm not complaining.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
8GB Transcend Class 4 manually set at 26x with enable patch and enable cheat disabled for castlevania DoS and FF 4 to stop lag during cinematics. Everything works fine except for PoR which sometimes freezes when pressing Start. Tested on 40 games.

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you know what Supercard ranks your card as?

I'm trying to buy a high ranked microSDHC card (trying for 8GB) at a good price.

I have this on my list so far:

4GB SDHC A-Data - $8.49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211067

8GB SDHC Kingston - $23
http://www.jr.com/kingston/pe/KGS_SDC48GB/

8GB SDHC Kingston - $24 + FS (I bought this one)
http://www.meritline.com/kingston-8gb-micr...ter-class4.html

Might have to buy this if the included card reader doesn't work:
ATP All-in-1 ProMax USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader SDHC Compatible
http://www.meritline.com/atp-all-in-1-prom...-with-sdhc.html

gamadaya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Leein said:
I'm afraid the first 2 links you gave us are just normal SDHC cards.
lol, yeah, you're lucky you got the last one. I have heard that the adata 4gig class 6 microSDHC is a really good choice for the supercard though. As are any Kingstons made in Japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-