Hacking What makes anyone think 3DS hacking will mean disabled Region Lock?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Ok, since everyone wants to give 25 god damn ways putting flash on a iPod has nothing to do with Disabling a region lock, how about if I put it this way.
What makes anyone think that a hack will solve the problem, especially seeing as how this is not as much a matter of just getting into the firmware, but also obtaining EVERY region key, its more of a technical question then anything. Stop getting so damn hung up on a bad example.

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Reactions: 15 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
OH GOD THIS THREAD. Once we have access to the system we can either A) Skip the region checks, B) Spoof the region checks, or C) Disable the region checks altogether. I find it HILARIOUS that you compare the iPod touch, something BARELY related to the 3DS IN ANY WAY. We'll disable the region locks, 100% guarantee. If we don't, I'll quit the internet forever.

Reactions: 9 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
the fuck
"Well you can tie your shoes, how come you can't build a nuclear submarine?"

Region lock is a component that runs an alternate routine upon detection and comparison of a single byte denoting the region number. This check can be commented out, or falsified to always return the right region. A one-minute tweak, if that.

Flash, on the other hand, requires a program to parse it, so you'd need to port the source for flash player. Except it's not open-source, so you'd need a third-party program to do it. Said programs take months, if not years to develop, and are still behind and lacking in compatibility, even on the PC.

Reactions: 11 people

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh...*fuuface*yes? Wait, what?

The DSi was fairly unpopular, hence hackers didn't have a huge drive to release much. Hell, it didn't even get its own section here (unlike the DS and 3DS).

In all fairness IF there was a hack and IF we get into ahem...things that shouldn't be mentionedpiracy...a homebrew-made loader would not check the region. Nintendo's loader checks everything - signatures, regions, ect. There's no reason for a homebrew coder to implement those checks. Actually, those would be more work for that coder. For Nintendo, it's worth the extra time implementing those checks. For the homebrew community, it's not.

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
the fuck
"Well you can tie your shoes, how come you can't build a nuclear submarine?"

Region lock is a component that runs an alternate routine upon detection and comparison of a single byte denoting the region number. This check can be commented out, or falsified to always return the right region. A one-minute tweak, if that.

Flash, on the other hand, requires a program to parse it, so you'd need to port the source for flash player. Except it's not open-source, so you'd need a third-party program to do it. Said programs take months, if not years to develop, and are still behind and lacking in compatibility, even on the PC.

That should go in Vulpes' quote bin.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who also wondered that? I'm not certain removing the region lock is the end goal for most working on exploits, but rather an extension of what will inevitably be a piracy-based idea. Or, perhaps that when the region lock is disabled, that will lead to piracy.

I'm not certain I want piracy running rampant on the 3DS, even if I wouldn't have to buy many games. I fear it would lead to the cesspool of shovelware the DS got. (To be honest, the shovelware issue also comes from the perception that the DS is a "kid's" video game system, unlike say the PSP which was far more teen/adult oriented. [and cracked easier, but that's another topic])

I do think the original question was worded badly.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who also wondered that? I'm not certain removing the region lock is the end goal for most working on exploits, but rather an extension of what will inevitably be a piracy-based idea. Or, perhaps that when the region lock is disabled, that will lead to piracy.

I'm not certain I want piracy running rampant on the 3DS, even if I wouldn't have to buy many games. I fear it would lead to the cesspool of shovelware the DS got. (To be honest, the shovelware issue also comes from the perception that the DS is a "kid's" video game system, unlike say the PSP which was far more teen/adult oriented. [and cracked easier, but that's another topic])

Piracy doesn't cause shovelware as much as everyone claims it does. If anything used games are worse than piracy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Neither used games nor piracy causes shovelware to pop up, it's handing out licenses easily that does. Think back to NES or SNES days - Nintendo placed the bar high and hardly any *really bad* games were released for the system. If a given game was horrible, the developer had to release it on his own on unlicensed cartridges and would made barely any money off it. This bar is gone, lol.

There is nothing wrong in selling used games, it's a good as any other and the user has every right to sell the software he or she owns and give his or her license to another user who purchases it.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Piracy doesn't cause shovelware as much as everyone claims it does. If anything used games are worse than piracy.

Hence my comment about the perception of the system.

Used games have been around since the days of the Atari 2600, and likely earlier. Nobody bitched then. It only became a hot topic among companies when they realized that people aren't as dumb as they once were and won't buy a game full price unless it's really worth it. Between that, rentals, and more people getting into the business, it's all really a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos, and everyone wants to swallow all the marbles. If a quality game gets made, it's only a bonus. It's not a rule.

Plus, Piracy, at least for the end-user, eliminates a lot of need for budgeting in the current world economy. Or, like stated earlier, region locks are in place. And it's easier than owning tons of games physically.

If you could play games from Japan on your 3DS via just disabling the region checks, or you can play it on a flashcart which does the same, would you buy one game, or the possibility of many games and one singe solution. Most would opt for the single solution.

I'm getting off topic, though. The question was is anyone just working on exploits to remove the region lock, and the answer is probably not. But will it happen, probably. Just what else might come with it?

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
As I said in another thread, region lock is just the excuse to get it hacked, everyone knows the real reason, some just don't accept it ;). Anyways, I couldn't care less about region locks, I don't like games with Jap language :D

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pointing to this is the fact that the 3DS has had shovelware since day 1, lol...

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually think that different region 3DS units might have different encryption keys. Costs them nothing and adds a LOT more security against breaking the locks.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually think that different region 3DS units might have different encryption keys. Costs them nothing and adds a LOT more security against breaking the locks.
TANSTAAFL.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Correct.

Indefinite proof:

Hello Kitty (June 21, 2012)
Horsez 3D (Released)
Imagine: Fashion Designer (Released)

There is no 3DS exploit yet and yet shovelware is already coming, and a few already came.
Those are just 3 examples, I don't memorize shovelware xD I just know it is/has already starting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lo