What Linux distro do you use?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,464
  • Replies 99
D

Deleted User

OP
I was just curious. I may consider switching to a different one depending on what people have to say. I do not want this to be a debate thread or why you should switch to Linux (even tho it is clearly obvious after trying it out), or anything about Windows/macOS.

I didn't include a poll because I am pretty sure all of the distros wouldn't fit.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ALL OF THEM!
I've actually been using Solus for over 3 months now on my main laptop. My Chromebook is currently running LMDE2, but it's used for distro testing and thus tends to change a lot.

D

Deleted User

OP
ALL OF THEM!
I've actually been using Solus for over 3 months now on my main laptop. My Chromebook is currently running LMDE2, but it's used for distro testing and thus tends to change a lot.
Can you explain Solus to me? If you use it it must be decent.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can you explain Solus to me? If you use it it must be decent.
Why of course I can explain Solus! Solus is a lightweight Independent Linux distro using a stable rolling release cycle. Solus is most famous for creating and maintaining it's own desktop environment called, "Budgie," which is a minimal GTK based DE. The main draw of Solus is that the team keeps the repos extremely clean with desktop focus in mind, while always being open to the community for suggestions.
I was drawn to Solus due to the extremely transparent dev team. Every suggestion I made and every bug report I sent out were handled and they gave notes at every step they took. I didn't feel left in the dark and they were extremely open for suggestions.
There's a lot more, so here's their site
https://solus-project.com/solus/about/

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I only use Linux for coding (and some other thing) on a virtual machine (I mainly use windows for a lot of reason, compatibility with game and more ergonomic for me, but it's only my opinion), but the distro I use is Linux Mint with Cinnamon for my virtual machine, and Ubuntu with Unity at the university (not my choice unfortunately since it's their computer, I can't stand Unity at all)

Last edited by Flirkyn,
D

Deleted User

OP
Why of course I can explain Solus! Solus is a lightweight Independent Linux distro using a stable rolling release cycle. Solus is most famous for creating and maintaining it's own desktop environment called, "Budgie," which is a minimal GTK based DE. The main draw of Solus is that the team keeps the repos extremely clean with desktop focus in mind, while always being open to the community for suggestions.
I was drawn to Solus due to the extremely transparent dev team. Every suggestion I made and every bug report I sent out were handled and they gave notes at every step they took. I didn't feel left in the dark and they were extremely open for suggestions.
There's a lot more, so here's their site
https://solus-project.com/solus/about/
I'm not going to lie, that sounds and looks attractive

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not going to lie, that sounds and looks attractive
To some, the main drawback is that they don't have tons of software in their repos. So it's not like Ubuntu or Arch where you have a million different text editors. To me, I am perfectly fine with that because it still has all the software that's needed for desktop use. Plus if they are missing something, chances are a quick suggestion will get that software added.
I actually suggested several games currently in the repos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay