• Likes 4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One should be wary of trying to juggle too many languages. It's better to be fluent in a few rather than being so-so in many.

I am not sure I agree there. I think I would rather be conversational in 4 languages than native/debating etymology/engaging in wordplay in two or three.

Edit.

Also relevant (ish)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I speak Filipino which is my native language and I'm not good at it (I'm a disgrace) and English. I knw a little bit of Español but other than that, nothing else.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I speak Filipino which is my native language and I'm not good at it (I'm a disgrace) and English. I knw a little bit of Español but other than that, nothing else.

Am I right thinking there are some similarities between Filipino and Spanish?
Français pour moi :)

French Québec Canada
Tiens donc, un voisin! Content de voir que je ne suis pas seul :)
(Oh look, an neighbor! Happy to see that I'm not alone :))

Reactions: nxwing
D

Deleted User

OP
I only speak english :cry:

I failed spanish in highschool (only class I ever failed and she had like a 40% failure rate too. Sad sad teacher.)

I'm failing French class.
I hate the way our teacher teaches it.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm failing French class.
I hate the way our teacher teaches it.

Funny, I actually failed english classes :D Same for you, my teachers were so dumb they couldn't explain properly how to speak english.
I self learnt around 15 years old , before then I wasn't able to understand 80 % of what I could read or hear!

D

Deleted User

OP
Funny, I actually failed english classes :D Same for you, my teachers were so dumb they couldn't explain properly how to speak english.
I self learnt around 15 years old , before then I wasn't able to understand 80 % of what I could read or hear!

My teacher "explains" how to speak French without really directly explaining it. And she doesn't explain why things are pronounced a certain way, or how to just look at a word and be able to guess how to pronounce it.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
My teacher "explains" how to speak French without really directly explaining it. And she doesn't explain why things are pronounced a certain way, or how to just look at a word and be able to guess how to pronounce it.

Yeah, That is NOT a proper method to learn a new language.
If this could help you though, English and French shares ALOT of similarities :)

Prononciations, verb-noun order and adjective-noun order is mostly what differ them :)

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I speak English and I'm currently taking Japanese. I took one year of Spanish, but I absolutely hated it because of the teacher. he was the biggest dick I have ever met, and there was no way I was going to put up with that anymore. I'm more interested in learning japanese anyway, so its worked out for me in the end.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Spanish, English and French. I actually learned the latter two by playing videogames all day long.
And I really like how French sounds :D

I would like to learn Latin someday, so I could learn all other romanic languages :D

What do you exactly like from french?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Swedish - Native language
English - Fluent
Japanese - Not yet fluent, but I speak on a moderate level which usually tends to be enough to be able to get my point across in one way or another. That being said, my Japanese level is still something I'm working on.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
English is my native language.
I can understand Spanish, written or spoken, though I struggle to speak it back.
I was almost fluent in French in high school, but after that I never used it again and forgot a lot it.
I studied Japanese in college but never really used it after, so I forgot most of that, too.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill