Hacking What isnt moddable?

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the day I did a firmware flash, then eventually JTAGged it. It was an older model and it eventually just went. Got louder and louder.

During this time, I made backups. 140 backups I tested all worked on CFW. Filled a 140 giant "cd book."

Recently, it has occurred to me that I probably should establish access to all these backups again as I dont believe in ruining the original discs.

So if I were to go to a resale shop, or a thrift store, and find a 360... what should I avoid if I want to play backups? Its been awhile so get "in depth" with new models as I just had phats.

And if any will work, just tell me "any." Ill figure it out as long as the "common" places might still be around. (paraphrasing)

Last edited by TimmyP,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard somewhere that the fan is now above the cpu/gpu with a slim, unlike a phat. don't own a slim, so I don't know. the series s of the new xbox I noticed has the fan right above the chips as well. I like that. a lot of people dremeled holes on the phat 360 to get better air flow, then used the dvd input to add a more powerful fan. funny thing is that my 360 phat has lower temps than my ps3 slim with the same game playing.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably buy a slim if my jtags fail. I don't really play the 360 anymore though, but it's nice to have the option if you're bored or something. though, my main system is a champ. it stays very cool, even cooler than my slim ps3. the cell is known to produce more heat, but it can also endure it more than the 360 can. though, the rsx can't endure heat like the cell can, so that's one of the system's "weak points." I read that sony tried to get the cell to take on the roll of gpu as well, but they couldn't make it work so they just threw in an rsx chip last minute.

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slim Trinity is the easiest and best one. Replace the thermal paste too, no problem. Can usually find them at the flea market for around $30.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
find either a falcon or jasper (phat with hdmi mfg after august 2007) , or a trinity (1st gen slims mfg before july 2011)

these offer the best reliability, plus they all can be dumped using jr programmer, no need for a separate SD jig or breakout QSB or post fix , and all are typically easy to glitch (RGH)

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i prefer a phat, my first 360 was a jtaggable falcon or jasper (got it for christmas of 08 it had blades but was updated to 8955 before i found out about jtag), falcon or a BB japser, just make sure to replace the thermal paste with good stuff, falcon and japser's should not reach over 70c while playing games, slims should be under around 60c

for phats (Jtag or rgh) i typically remove the dvd drive too and reverse the fan to blow into through the xbox instead of sucking air out, this drastically improves cooling on phats aswell, and take the shield top off, its just restricting air and baking your phat

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: brickmii82

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the dvd drive is 12V compared with the 5V of the actual fan, so you could put a much larger fan in there. from what I've learned, the main problem with phats is the fan tunnel. I think there are like holes in it that are microscopic, so heat leaves them then settles over the system. there's a way to fix it by wrapping up that area, but I personally think temp thresholds should be enough. I set mine at 60 C. I rarely get that high with any game on my falcon. it definitely runs cooler than my ps3 slim, but the ps3 can endure heat more efficiently (at least the cell can, not really the rsx).

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cause the 360 security is pretty tight and we've only had 1 software kernel exploit in 14 years.
The 360 being almost 15.

I've heard there's a private xam exploit but idk.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why has no one made different exploits

rgh isnt a softmod, its a physical modification to the motherboard, microsoft made changes on winchester so you cant rgh, this isn't a nintendo console, they have much much better drm, microsoft has been writting code and software for almost 50 years, they know how to write code

there isn't any other exploit, you don't make them. they are always there. somebody has to find it and make use of it, if one even exists

an exploit simply means somebody either fucked up some code, wrote sloppy code (any nintendo softmod is due to this), or there was undiscovered bugs or undocmented hardware features due the hardware configuration itself that the engineers and QA team didn't notice (rgh or ntrboot)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the main reason no new software exploits is that a hardware one is superior. they usually can't be patched without a hardware revision, so why release something that will just be patched next update? if you thought nintendo's security was bad, it's way beyond sony's. do you realize people were able to log in to psn with a idps of all 0s, 'til it was patched? their arrogance is their undoing. they never prepare for anything, so maybe that's why they joined hackerone? imo, I think sony may be the lazies, possibly even the most incompetent, of the big three.

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anybody here?