What is the "swap trick"?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by animea90, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010

What is the "swap trick"? by animea90 at 9:04 PM (2,080 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. animea90
    OP

Newcomer animea90 Newbie

United States
    I saw this term used when reading this guide

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php

The guide talks about using the swap trick with my regular 007 agent under fire and my modified version. What does that mean? Does it mean just opening the system and switching the two discs?

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    On a ps2 swapping generally means to change the disc witout the ps2 noticing. You can achieve that easiliy on the fat ones if you open them or just use a selfmade swaptool. See youtube for that. I don't know how it works on a slim, but it's possible.

But i recommend against using the swap trick while the disc is spinning. If the disc is spinning in the moment you are supposed to swap the disc, you will damage your drive when doing it.

3. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    on a slim, you need to block 2 sensors. one is above the power button (you can take some paper and and stick it in there and put tape on it. the other sensor is inside the ps2. there are a couple of methods to do this

straw method
    tape and tissue method

personally the straw method was very hard for me to achieve. if you dont want to take apart the console, the tape and tissue method is out of the question.

using the straw method makes it not able to close (or atleast i didnt).

there is another component that needs to block, and thats the disc stopper. there is a little hole in the corner of the right side of the tray, you needs to stick something in there to make the thing unlocked (ie, not stopping the disc). i used to use a cue tip, and that really will make it not able to close anymore.

honestly, it made my ps2 ugly. the flip top was always up, there was a straw stuck in there, a que tip sticking out, and another que tip inside the hole above the power switch, and alot of electrical tape. the things i did for swapping without buying swapmagic tools :\

when i attempted to do the tape and tissue method i opened it up and broke the power button so i had to turn on with the remote lol.

by the time i got a new power switch, the cable that hooks up to the power switch was broken, could not find a long one for my model (the 79000 cable is aperrently rare, and everything is up to 79000 on ebay at that time), and the other cabels are about the third of the size, so i had my ps2 on without a lid for the longest time until the guy who i sent my ps2 fixed everything. though the 3rd party switch wont work with the remote which is unfortunate, especially because he soldered the the thing with wires to the mobo and im not risking fucking up my ps2 again.

anyways my advice: get freemcboot, use ESR. no swapping, no blocking sensors, no nothing. either that or get a modchip. both are just burn + play.

edit: please note that just because i fucked up and didnt do the sensor blocking right, does not mean you will fuck up your ps2 like i had.
    just please be careful when you open your ps2. not just the op (since we dont know if he has fat/slim), but anyone reading this, if you attempt to do the tape and tissue method. *please*.

4. animea90
    OP

Newcomer animea90 Newbie

United States

Thanks for the advice. I only need to use the swap trick once to get a softmod on. This will be very helpful.