What is the best way to run emulators on the Switch?

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer all the above, its individual preferences really. Home console, don't expect anything above dreamcast. For handheld nothing more advance than psp and maybe 3ds. Personally I stick with emulators on HOS, standalone if available. But for certain games like MVC2 on dreamcast lakka is needed to reach fullspeed.

Melter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anything n64 and older retroarch is great.

For ps1 the duckstation port and for DS melonDS stand-alone are great too.

Everything else available on HOS currently is hit or miss.

Reactions: swutch

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 games via Retroarch run fine with HOS but wasn't able to get N64 games run smooth in HOS, even with overclocking.

You can run the arcade games from 80s and 90s with MAME and FB Neo, but there are arcade games that made by Sega has visual glitches when run on MAME 2003 Plus.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There really isn't one best way to run them all. Every method has its own compatibility, speed, and glitches to consider. Some games work better or only work in HOS, others require Lakka.

Gabriel2Silva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you like RetroAchievements, you'll be better off with RetroArch. I can get full speed in pretty much every PSP game with a light overclock.
Lakka is pretty hit or miss IMO. I honestly do not like it, too glitchy for my taste.
Standalone emulators are pretty damn good, especially DuckStation and melonDS.

Reactions: Ryab

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you like RetroAchievements, you'll be better off with RetroArch. I can get full speed in pretty much every PSP game with a light overclock.
Lakka is pretty hit or miss IMO. I honestly do not like it, too glitchy for my taste.
Standalone emulators are pretty damn good, especially DuckStation and melonDS.
Fellow RetroAchievements user I see. Always happy to see one.

Reactions: Gabriel2Silva

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the Switch seriously THIS MUCH underpowered to not even be able to run Wii emulation? My 10 year old PC that could barely run anything could run Dolphin games without much problems.
Like Ryab said, Switch's performance in docked mode is similar to overclocked PS3 (looks like PS3 Pro that don't exist) with more RAM, but not enough to make GameCube games run fast and smooth without modification. Nintendo had to modified Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy with native codes to run smooth on Switch. Undocked Switch (portable mode) has nearly same power as 720p Wii U.

Switch is capable to have 1 teraflop but Nintendo underclocked greatly to converse the battery in portable mode.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...ve-console-in-years.12220/page-8#post-2420774

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo