What is the best ps3 version to buy nowadays ?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by YuseiFD, Jun 24, 2017.

1. YuseiFD
    OP

YuseiFD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2016
    Hi, as the title says, anyone could enlighten me ? i would love to play the GoW entire anthology, and maybe some exclusive gems too, note that i live in a country where buying games is out of the question for me, so i'll prolly need it flashable, thank you <3

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    For hacks? Old phatties and some old slims, those are the only ones that support 3.55 and CFW. You can check the Slim models that are compatible with 3.55 here: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

They can be fairly expensive, depending on what you're buying, and if you buy one above 3.55 you'll need to get a hardware flasher to downgrade them to 3.55 which can add $50+ depending on what you buy. You could also pay to have someone downgrade, which is usually cheaper than buying a flasher yourself, but if something goes wrong later or you accidentally update somehow you'll have to send it out again.

If you don't care about CFW, then realistically any one is fine. The newer slims are good, the Super Slims are ok, too.

3. YuseiFD
    OP

YuseiFD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for your response, but what about performance wise bro ?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There's virtually no difference.

Phatties do run hotter, so you have to make sure they're well ventilated to avoid YLOD, and you might want to clean it out with some canned air every few months to avoid dust buildup. The early Slims are a little better temp wise, but lack PS2 hardware BC (if you care about that at all).

YuseiFD likes this.
  5. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Don't know about where you live, but here in Germany I found pre-hacked Ps3 on ebay all the time. I got mine for only 75€ and worked well.
    At first I was also worried about the temperature (mine is a Phatty), but CFW allows user to set fan speed manually and everything's ok if you don't mind a litte noise. So just get whatever is cheaper since the model doesn't really matter.

YuseiFD likes this.
  6. YuseiFD
    OP

YuseiFD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2016
    @windhazard & @Tom Bombadildo thanks to the both of you, i just want to play GoW mainly, so i'll prolly get a prehacked slim, ps2 is not a problem for me because i can emulate it on my pc if i ever need to.

7. Touko White

Touko White Scarlet's Clone

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England
    I think some later PAL fat models don't play PS2 games either because I had a PS3 fat that got the YLOD that refused to play PS2 games...