Gaming What is going on in the Wii world?

brasscorpion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so my wife brought home a Wii from work. It was a gift from one of those Picnic type things that companies do. She won employee of the month along with a couple other from various departments.

They all got Wii's

Okay, so I am 40 years old and have 2 kids age 11(girl) and 9(boy). I play PC games and have for all my life...I don't own an Xbox or PS anything...never have. However I have played games ported to the PC like Halo, Gears of War and so on.

SO here we go...WHat is up with Nintendo and the Wii. Is any game NOT named Mario, Zelda or Final fantasy rated higher than a 5-7 on gamespot and the various review mags.

I mean holy cow...2 games just came out.."DeadRising" and "Mad World". Deadrising rated a 6.5 and the other 7.5.

Where is Grandtheft Auto 4, Fallout 3, Deadspace, need for Speed (Shift), Chronicles of Riddick. Am I always going to be stuck with Wii games that include a little Italian Plummer???

Do I have it all wrong?

Help a brother out sheeesh!!!

Brass

JussiPik

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
sure there is, loads of good games coming out this year. Wii is definitely not for kids only, now it`s a true family console, where older members of the family can have some fun too, no more princess pony adventures for me, just madworld ;D

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
JussiPik said:
sure there is, loads of good games coming out this year. Wii is definitely not for kids only, now it`s a true family console, where older members of the family can have some fun too, no more princess pony adventures for me, just madworld ;D

I hope Capcom and Sega's recent efforts at producing more adult games for the Wii prove successful sellers. If not, the future of the Wii will consist of Nintendo's own releases and poor quality party games for kids.

At present there just aren't enough developers/publishers who take the Wii seriously. EA being the bissest offender to my mind. I want to see the The Godfather 2 on Wii but what we get is another additional to the My Sims series and complete garbage like Celebrity Sports Showdown.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
brasscorpion said:
Where is Grandtheft Auto 4, Fallout 3, Deadspace, need for Speed (Shift), Chronicles of Riddick.
I think its better if they don't port other console's games onto Wii.
I don't really want to play a poorly done, low-resolution version of GTA4 with tacked on waggle...

jqwest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the Developers are taking the wii way Serious...Havent you noticed the influx of great third party titles just this year....House of the dEad overkill....Deadly creatures...Madworld....the conduit...all exclusives EA has went out of its way to produce quality ports of all sports titles not just simple ports...check out tiger woods 09. Also Capcom is making a killing with the Resident Evil Series ....Also on to the developers as long as the wii kicks all other consoles asses in the hardware sales department the developers are steadily trying to make games that will sell and that alone produces huge exclusives for the wii.....Just my lil rant about the bright future of the WII

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Metacritic is a good way to quickly gauge which games have been well received:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

There are a lot of Nintendo franchises at the top of the list, but there's also quality stuff like Resident Evil, Okami, MadWorld, No More Heroes, Bully, Call of Duty, etc. Just start at the top and see what interests you.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
jqwest said:
the Developers are taking the wii way Serious...Havent you noticed the influx of great third party titles just this year....House of the dEad overkill....Deadly creatures...Madworld....the conduit...all exclusives EA has went out of its way to produce quality ports of all sports titles not just simple ports...check out tiger woods 09. Also Capcom is making a killing with the Resident Evil Series ....Also on to the developers as long as the wii kicks all other consoles asses in the hardware sales department the developers are steadily trying to make games that will sell and that alone produces huge exclusives for the wii.....Just my lil rant about the bright future of the WII

I agree that some of the sports games from EA on the Wii are top class (Grand Slam tennis looks good too) and the games you have listed are all qaulity titles. You could add Tenchu to the list too.

However while all consoles have their fair share of bad games, the Wii is being drowned by them and I'm sorry but a few sports games and a port of the Godfather does not mean EA are taking the Wii seriously. If EA are taking the Wii seriously why are there no plans for the Godfather 2, Dantes Inferno, Fight Night 4 and Dead Space on Wii as yet? I suppose we will have to make do with The Littlest Pet Shop from EA this year.

I would also agree that Capcom are making a killing with the Resident Evil series but even though RE4 is possibly one the best games of all time, they still have no plans to bring RE5 to the Wii.

I love the Wii, I bought one after all and while there are some quality titles, most publishers are patronising the Wii (and the owners) by churning out bad party games, poor childrens games and ports with stupid waggle controls. Even Nintendo are getting lazy now. They could have made a new Mario Tennis & Pikmin game but instead they have re-released the GC version with Wii controls.

While I accpet you have valid points, you have not changed my mind.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sgwiiboy said:
jqwest said:

I agree that some of the sports games from EA on the Wii are top class (Grand Slam tennis looks good too) and the games you have listed are all qaulity titles. You could add Tenchu to the list too.

However while all consoles have their fair share of bad games, the Wii is being drowned by them and I'm sorry but a few sports games and a port of the Godfather does not mean EA are taking the Wii seriously. If EA are taking the Wii seriously why are there no plans for the Godfather 2, Dantes Inferno, Fight Night 4 and Dead Space on Wii as yet? I suppose we will have to make do with The Littlest Pet Shop from EA this year.

I would also agree that Capcom are making a killing with the Resident Evil series but even though RE4 is possibly one the best games of all time, they still have no plans to bring RE5 to the Wii.

I love the Wii, I bought one after all and while there are some quality titles, most publishers are patronising the Wii (and the owners) by churning out bad party games, poor childrens games and ports with stupid waggle controls. Even Nintendo are getting lazy now. They could have made a new Mario Tennis & Pikmin game but instead they have re-released the GC version with Wii controls.

Well who really believed they would port RE5 to the wii. A spin-off perhaps but not the fully fledged game.

Uh TC. What did you expect. Do you want "Blood, Guts and Xecution IV" because if that is the case, stick with PC gaming. I am not trying to be rude but you should at least give the title a chance because they are well known and well rated for a reason. Because they dont feature every shade of grey but actually try to change the mold with new and innovating ways rather than another cover system or slow motion.

Sorry if this is considered flaming.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
sgwiiboy said:
jqwest said:

Wii will get Dead Space Extraction and Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Also you have No More Heroes allready out, and No More Heroes 2 coming next year. MadWorld OWNS, it's an AAA-title. And soon you will be able to take on The Conduit online - "Probably the best console controls in the world".

House of the Dead Overkill came out a couple of weeks agi. It's alot of fun!! I've played with both friends and my girlfriend (yes she likes killing zombies with huge weapons).

You have Call of Duty World at War. GREAT on Wii, good controls and fun online.
You have Metriod Prime 3... the best game on Wii???!! And also Resident Evil 4 (if you haven't played it before) the experience is far better and more fun on Wii cause of the controls.

I don't like Mario that much. But Mario Galaxy is a really really great game, thats the only Mario Game I own for my Wii. And about GTA IV... ppfftt.... it's overrated and is not for gamers but for gramers.
wink.gif

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Edgedancer said:
sgwiiboy said:
jqwest said:

Well who really believed they would port RE5 to the wii. A spin-off perhaps but not the fully fledged game.

Uh TC. What did you expect. Do you want "Blood, Guts and Xecution IV" because if that is the case, stick with PC gaming. I am not trying to be rude but you should at least give the title a chance because they are well known and well rated for a reason. Because they dont feature every shade of grey but actually try to change the mold with new and innovating ways rather than another cover system or slow motion.

Sorry if this is considered flaming.

Capcom did imply that if RE4 and Chronicles sold well they would give us RE5 on the Wii. However the new Chronicles game looks sweet.

As for you flaming, it's not flaming when you have a valid point and you had one.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
CreX said:
And also Resident Evil 4 (if you haven't played it before) the experience is far better and more fun on Wii cause of the controls.

Agree with this but would add that it is worth playing even if you have played it on another platform.

RE4 is for me, the yardstick for to measure other Wii games too. The graphics, gameplay and controls are superb and proves that the Wii can be a gamers machine.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Get some games for your kids and your wife. Stick with your PC games and everyone will be happy. If you see a 'mature' game for the Wii that you think you might like, rent it or play a 'backup/trial' copy and then buy if you find it good. You're not a console gamer and it sounds like you don't like playing games with characters you've grown away from (or never liked in the first place).

Dr. Canuck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope EA publishes some more titles on the Wii. I'd really love to see what they could do with the Wii's controls on a series like NHL.
There have been some good games other then Mario/Zelda/Metroid on the Wii... Okami comes to mind. But in my opinion, Twilight Princess is worth the price of the Wii alone, and if you got your Wii for free? Score.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look brass, you're being very narrow with your vision if you truly believe what you just wrote there.

I think it should be fair to say that sadly were this the first 12 months of the systems life I'd agree with you. Here's a history lesson made short so you understand why you thought what you wrote. 3rd parties outside of EA and Ubisoft more or less thought Nintendo was done after the slide from N64 and Cube and only they made some genuine efforts. When the sales exploded with them getting some 1M movers others went 'oh shit' and started halfassing out some horrible ports, shovelware, and other trash from shovelware makers came out. Unofficially the system didn't have a damn release ignoring that trash for many long months after the release not including 1st party stuff like Wario Ware and Metroid Prime 3. Not until really Medal of Honor Heroes 2 were there things outside 1st party worth getting, and even then it was a trickle with Geometry Wars, Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes, and little else. Only now after making promises publicly for Wii and given a normal dev time of a good 18-24months in 2009 we're getting the true (sadly) 1st gen efforts out of 3rd parties with Dead Rising, House of the Dead, Madworld, and much more.

I also suggest you look into WiiWare. While there's a lot of filler, there are some great titles like Onslaught, Alien Crush returns, Mega Man9, and quite a few others. Also I suggest reading up on what is known for the rest of the year too. There's some really good (unless it's hype backed with crap in every case) stuff like The Conduit, Muramasa, Dragon Quest 10, Klonoa, Little Kings Story, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (which also has Fate of Atlantis from PC included,) Punch-Out!, a No More Heroes sequel, and much more.

Just do some research.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
There are a lot , and i mean ALOT of crap games for the Wii BUT there are some absolute quality titles just not enough, RE5 should be on the wii ffs, re4 was amazing, Overkill was good Dead rising was average with a piss poor effort graphics wise . We need to stop buying games , seriously , then maybe the developers will stop and think why there are xxxx million consoles out there that people arent buy their crappy ill thought out games for.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
scousethief said:
There are a lot , and i mean ALOT of crap games for the Wii BUT there are some absolute quality titles just not enough, RE5 should be on the wii ffs, re4 was amazing, Overkill was good Dead rising was average with a piss poor effort graphics wise . We need to stop buying games , seriously , then maybe the developers will stop and think why there are xxxx million consoles out there that people arent buy their crappy ill thought out games for.

I honestly think that those people who bought the Wii for family reasons and are not gamers need to stop being suckers. They to start being a bit more savvy and not just buy games like "Sporty Party" etc without giving it serious consideration first.

I also think that developers need to stop releasing shoddy party and sports game collections and that are simply not good enough.

If people stopped buying naff crap on the Wii and bought more games like Overkill and Madworld then we might see a better overall standard of games and not just a handful of top games.

I agree about RE5. RE4 was huge on Wii and I can't believe they won't port it. Then again though, I don't understand why Namco have not ported Point Blank to the DS but not to Wii, the Wii is made for this game!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...