What IC is this? (Gateway 3DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by nitehack, Mar 30, 2014.

1. nitehack
    OP

nitehack Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2012
    There is a IC in gateway 3ds that I dont know because I havent one and the pictures of the pcb there is no reference on the forums or name does not appear.
    Image:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Does anyone know what this is?

2. nitehack
    OP

nitehack Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2012
    No one?

3. b00100100

b00100100 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2009
    United States
    There are no markings. It's a 28 pin quad pack. Do you realize how many different silicon circuits could be encapsulated by this standard packaging? If I was going to guess, I'd say it was some sort of micro-controller. But that's a complete guess. Without markings, or seeing how the pins behave in use, nothing can be said about it.

4. nitehack
    OP

nitehack Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2012
    I think so, it is a microcontroller but I'm not sure ..

5. mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants that´s ´Sir´ for you!

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    You could cut it off and looks if there is something written underneath it and you could try if it works without the chip ... just kidding

6. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Out of curiosity, can we get a pic of the other side of the board?

7. Jao Chu
    This message by Jao Chu has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: really?.
    Apr 3, 2014
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Not funny and not really constructive.

I'd say that the only way to have a fair guess at what this thing is is a path of elimination. The Winbond chip is SPI Flash, the other side just has the ACTEL ASIC Pro3. Considering the proximity to the SD slot and the fact that some of the circuits go in that general direction, I'd hazard a guess that it has something to do with it.
    Here's a set of better pictures: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-pcb-photo.353126/

9. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    It is a 28pin JLCC FPGA that is probably made by Altera. Just think of it like a CPU with flash memory to store the code it runs inside one chip.