Hardware What gpu can this handle?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got it up and running but my god it's so slow and WEI rates it a 7.7 I got a sata data connector too so now its booting from my ssd. For a dual xeon 5050 with 8gb ram its pretty sluggish why is it this slow x.x

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well I got it up and running but my god it's so slow and WEI rates it a 7.7 I got a sata data connector too so now its booting from my ssd. For a dual xeon 5050 with 8gb ram its pretty sluggish why is it this slow x.x
How is the SATA cable connected? Directly to a SATA connector on the motherboard or using some sort of adapter? Adapters will be much slower, obviously.
How much RAM is in it? Not having enough RAM can have a very detrimental effect on performance as the pagefile is much, much slower than actual RAM (even if using a SSD) so if it's used excessively the computer will slow down to a crawl.
Also, check the CPU clock with CPU-Z, especially under load, and check your temps, make sure it's not clocking down due to heat.
Also make sure you installed the GPU driver and that it's actually using the correct driver.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the SATA cable connected? Directly to a SATA connector on the motherboard or using some sort of adapter? Adapters will be much slower, obviously.

How much RAM is in it? Not having enough RAM can have a very detrimental effect on performance as the pagefile is much, much slower than actual RAM (even if using a SSD) so if it's used excessively the computer will slow down to a crawl

Also, check the CPU clock with CPU-Z, especially under load, and check your temps, make sure it's not clocking down due to heat.
Also make sure you installed the GPU driver and that it's actually using the correct driver.

1. Sata is directly into the motherboard going to the ssd
2. It's got 8gb of ram but only 4.00gb is usable and I checked that I'm running windows 10 x64. Could this be why?
3. The CPU is showing a full load never going under 2.99ghz in the taskbar
4. The temp is 50c, 49cc and gpu is installed with latest driver at 20c

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. Sata is directly into the motherboard going to the ssd
2. It's got 8gb of ram but only 4.00gb is usable and I checked that I'm running windows 10 x64. Could this be why?
3. The CPU is showing a full load never going under 2.99ghz in the taskbar
4. The temp is 50c, 49cc and gpu is installed with latest driver at 20c
Only 4GB usable sounds like the RAM is faulty. I had faulty RAM once, it didn't show the full amount as being usable, and I had occasional BSODs and wasn't sure why until I ran memtest86 and it showed errors almost immediately. Note that even though your ram is failing/faulty doesn't necessarily mean you'll get BSODs, that'll only happen if the RAM gets unrecoverable errors.

It might not be that, but I would suggest running memtest86 for a few hours anyway (leave it overnight or even better, leave it for a full 24 hours)
4 GB should be sufficient to run Windows 10, but my media PC which has 4 GB RAM gets sluggish if I don't reboot for a while, so it might be a bit too little for it to run well. As long as I reboot every once in a while it works fine for playing videos in Kodi (including HEVC) which is mostly all I use it for.
Before I upgraded that PC to Windows 10 (wiping everything that was installed), it would be very slow at opening programs, Firefox was laggy, even after rebooting programs took ages to load up, it was pretty terrible to use. So it might be a good idea to reinstall Windows from scratch and make sure you get the latest drivers from the website of the manufacturers of the individual components, not from the OEM.

More RAM would definitely help though as I notice that with 4 GB it gets cramped very quickly when running multiple programs, even 6 GB gets cramped if I run a game and try to use a web browser while the game is running.

Reactions: jDSX

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only 4GB usable sounds like the RAM is faulty. I had faulty RAM once, it didn't show the full amount as being usable, and I had occasional BSODs and wasn't sure why until I ran memtest86 and it showed errors almost immediately. Note that even though your ram is failing/faulty doesn't necessarily mean you'll get BSODs, that'll only happen if the RAM gets unrecoverable errors.

It might not be that, but I would suggest running memtest86 for a few hours anyway (leave it overnight or even better, leave it for a full 24 hours)
4 GB should be sufficient to run Windows 10, but my media PC which has 4 GB RAM gets sluggish if I don't reboot for a while, so it might be a bit too little for it to run well. As long as I reboot every once in a while it works fine for playing videos in Kodi (including HEVC) which is mostly all I use it for.
Before I upgraded that PC to Windows 10 (wiping everything that was installed), it would be very slow at opening programs, Firefox was laggy, even after rebooting programs took ages to load up, it was pretty terrible to use. So it might be a good idea to reinstall Windows from scratch and make sure you get the latest drivers from the website of the manufacturers of the individual components, not from the OEM.

More RAM would definitely help though as I notice that with 4 GB it gets cramped very quickly when running multiple programs, even 6 GB gets cramped if I run a game and try to use a web browser while the game is running.

Thanks It's weird ram has metal clamps on them I assume because they get hot while its meant to be on all day 24/7. I'll update back once I ran memtest.

Reactions: Tizm

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks It's weird ram has metal clamps on them I assume because they get hot while its meant to be on all day 24/7. I'll update back once I ran memtest.
Metal clamps? Got a picture?
RAM heatsinks aren't unheard of, usually it will just be a thin heatsink that's stuck to the RAM and looks more like a heavy duty sticker than a proper heatsink, there are more heavy duty heatsinks though, intended for overclocking.
From what I know, cooling is a lot more heavy duty on server-grade hardware, not necessarily because it needs it, but because it's designed to run reliably for a long time even during heavy multithreaded multitasking that can pin the CPU at 100% for extended periods of time which is not normal in desktop usages, and obviously better cooling results in longer lifetime (up to a certain point)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal clamps? Got a picture?
RAM heatsinks aren't unheard of, usually it will just be a thin heatsink that's stuck to the RAM and looks more like a heavy duty sticker than a proper heatsink, there are more heavy duty heatsinks though, intended for overclocking.
From what I know, cooling is a lot more heavy duty on server-grade hardware, not necessarily because it needs it, but because it's designed to run reliably for a long time even during heavy multithreaded multitasking that can pin the CPU at 100% for extended periods of time which is not normal in desktop usages, and obviously better cooling results in longer lifetime (up to a certain point)

Looks exactly like these
s-l225.jpg

Also I removed the bad dimms and it's still slow doing things but the boot time is way faster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM