What gave Mega Drive / Genesis bad rep?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the sheer amount of third-party/knock-off/clone/SoC-based MD/Genesis systems currently present on the market, I'd say that both systems were held in equal regard, and still are to this day. There's countless plug-and-play MD-based systems out there, people clearly still have a soft spot for its library.
Same here I mean games like the collections have done great and it is a great console that is easily a top 5 console of all time.

Hell even non gamers remember it to an extent from certain games.

But yeah I agree it is by no means underrated and I to feel they are both regarded equally.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Genesis had some seriously badass CPS1 ports like Strider & Ghouls. They only had around 1/3 of the animation of their arcade counterparts(would've been too expensive if they were bigger carts) but things were cut in a manner which minimized the impact on the visuals and most importantly, the gameplay was perfect. SF2 ran much much better on both the PCE and Genesis than it did on the SNEs despite the SNES versions looking and arguably sounding better. The music in the CPS1 SF2 ports sounds better on the Genesis imo & the PCE version had full, clear voice samples. The SNES version's voice samples(both CPS1 & 2 ports) are cut short to save space.

One seldom mentioned port of Ghouls due to the system's failure is the Supergrafx version, which was supposed to be the PCE's successor. Nearly arcade-perfect with much more animation than the SG version although the Genesis version's sound is superior.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Genesis had some seriously badass CPS1 ports like Strider & Ghouls. They only had around 1/3 of the animation of their arcade counterparts(would've been too expensive if they were bigger carts) but things were cut in a manner which minimized the impact on the visuals and most importantly, the gameplay was perfect. SF2 ran much much better on both the PCE and Genesis than it did on the SNEs despite the SNES versions looking and arguably sounding better. The music in the CPS1 SF2 ports sounds better on the Genesis imo & the PCE version had full, clear voice samples. The SNES version's voice samples(both CPS1 & 2 ports) are cut short to save space.
Well also that 6 button Genesis controller made games like sf2 and others alot better to play.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SF2 ran much much better on both the PCE and Genesis than it did on the SNEs despite the SNES versions looking and arguably sounding better. The music in the CPS1 SF2 ports sounds better on the Genesis imo & the PCE version had full, clear voice samples. The SNES version's voice samples(both CPS1 & 2 ports) are cut short to save space.
I think the difference in performance in the snes version is overstated. The snes version was fine, I never played the game and thought "how unplayable this is". The fact that the snes could even handle Street Fighter Alpha 2 later on (despite the fact it was very stripped down) shows that it was not a machine as slow as everyone says.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It had a bad reputation? If you include the addons, I guess so. I never played the addons, but seen footage, namely from Angry Video Game Nerd. Genesis is still the only non-Nintendo console I've owned, so that should say something. Granted, I got it for free, secondhand with 10 games, including Sonic 1,2, and Street Fighter Champion Edition. I never took advantage of its Hyper Fighting though, too hardcore for me last I checked.

Reactions: VinsCool

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the difference in performance in the snes version is overstated. The snes version was fine, I never played the game and thought "how unplayable this is". The fact that the snes could even handle Street Fighter Alpha 2 later on (despite the fact it was very stripped down) shows that it was not a machine as slow as everyone says.

Oh it's certainly not unplayable and I had a massive amount of fun with it as a kid, but if you play the arcade version of SF2HF and then play both the SNES and Genesis versions, the SNES version's timing is a bit off and there is very slight slowdown during fireballs and just in general. The SG port on the other hand has zero slowdown and you can pull off every single combo, CPS1 chains included, that you could in the arcade version. I'm no SF2 expert but the SG version has zero slowdown and perfect timing while the SNES version looks better, arguably sounds better but has just a tiny bit of slowdown. It's still a great port though so I was by no means calling it unplayable.

Super SF2 is one of those games that I see as superior on the SNES simply due to the SNES' sound chip and its ability to replicate the arcade version's music/sounds more accurately, although the SG version actually has the full arcade voice samples, just really really grainy. The SNES version's are often cut or even totally different, but they're clearer(although muffled) and the music is fantastic. SG version has less slowdown still, but the SNES version of Super simply feels more like the arcade version due to its superior colors and sound.

The SNES Alpha 2 port is indeed impressive, but to be fair it does use the S-DD1 enhancement chip.

Rust: I usually just set the turbo setting to 3 or 4 stars to make it the same speed as the arcade or just a tiny bit faster. Setting it all the way to 10 is kinda funny and all but it makes it nearly impossible to play.

OT, but I would've loved to see more SuperFX-2 games on the SNES that used the chip to enhance 2d sprites like Yoshi's Island did. That game is breathtaking visually and looks better than many early 2d games on the PS1.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,
Reactions: RodrigoDavy

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have trouble understanding what the OP means by "bad rep", both the SNES and the Genesis/MD went neck in neck throughout the generation and estimates of sales are inconclusive regarding which one sold better (according to some calculations the Genesis/MD might've actually sold more units than the SNES due to sales made in North and South American states). The MD/Genesis never had a "bad rep", it's a highly respected system, claiming otherwise is revisionist history.
As I've said it's how the internet's treating SMD/Genesis nowadays in comparison to SNES.

SMD has inferior audio quality but the more mature games are mostly kept intact.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never owned a Genesis as a kid(played SG games at a neighborhood friend's house) so I was absolutely thrilled when Genecyst & Dgen came out and allowed me to play SG games with(nearly) full sound and at full speed on even slow computers. I think a lot of the Genesis bashing is due to SNES fanboys plus all of the late RPGs and games like DKC, Starfox, Yoshi's Island etc that really pushed the SNES and/or used enhancement chips. That SNES sound chip really made games like FF6, SoM, SD3, CT etc. incredible experiences because of their amazing soundtracks. The SG definitely deserves more respect technically though; it was basically the arcade HW of 1988-89 but downgraded to make the system affordable.

That's a big reason why the SG had such amazing CPS1 ports- same basic architecture.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As I've said it's how the internet's treating SMD/Genesis nowadays in comparison to SNES.

SMD has inferior audio quality but the more mature games are mostly kept intact.
It's not inferior, it's different. The SNES is muddy and squeaky, the MD is metallic and harsh. You're comparing guitars and violins here, two different kinds sound.

Reactions: VinsCool

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh it's certainly not unplayable and I had a massive amount of fun with it as a kid, but if you play the arcade version of SF2HF and then play both the SNES and Genesis versions, the SNES version's timing is a bit off and there is very slight slowdown during fireballs and just in general. The SG port on the other hand has zero slowdown and you can pull off every single combo, CPS1 chains included, that you could in the arcade version. I'm no SF2 expert but the SG version has zero slowdown and perfect timing while the SNES version looks better, arguably sounds better but has just a tiny bit of slowdown. It's still a great port though so I was by no means calling it unplayable.
I see what you're saying. I don't think it was entirely the snes fault though, as Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat games play very smoothly. But I disgress...

The SNES Alpha 2 port is indeed impressive, but to be fair it does use the S-DD1 enhancement chip.
To be fair all the S-DD1 does is decompress the cartridge's compressed data so the cartridge can store more than 4MB of data. It's still the snes cpu that is doing the hard work.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see what you're saying. I don't think it was entirely the snes fault though, as Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat games play very smoothly. But I disgress...

To be fair all the S-DD1 does is decompress the cartridge's compressed data so the cartridge can store more than 4MB of data. It's still the snes cpu that is doing the hard work.

Still impressive to see a near-identical arcade port on the Snes, graphically, it almost looks as good as the real deal, but the S-DD1 chip was only used in two games AFAIK, SFA2 and Star Ocean.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Have a good time.
For some reason I listen Sega and have a weird urge to play Castlevania Bloodlines.
I paid 30$, almost given. Works beautifully,but RF connection gives an awful imaga quality in my hdtv lol :P

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's not inferior, it's different. The SNES is muddy and squeaky, the MD is metallic and harsh. You're comparing guitars and violins here, two different kinds sound.
The other day I was listening to a comparison of Doom's score SMD x SNES and couldn't help but find the SNES version spectacular while the SMD was just utter shit. :-/

But anyhow, guess you're right.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The other day I was listening to a comparison of Doom's score SMD x SNES and couldn't help but find the SNES version spectacular while the SMD was just utter shit. :-/

But anyhow, guess you're right.
SMD usesFM synth for instruments, SNES uses samples, so, it won't sound the same for sure.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The other day I was listening to a comparison of Doom's score SMD x SNES and couldn't help but find the SNES version spectacular while the SMD was just utter shit. :-/ But anyhow, guess you're right.
This has always been a problem with ports - the Genesis had a very distinct palette of sounds due to which it was always difficult to replicate music scores from other platforms in a faithful fashion. The Mega Drive shines most in its exclusives with music scores designed to be played on that particular chip. That, and sound is really a matter of preference - I could just as easily say that the SNES was a joke in comparison to the likes of Amiga, it's all very subjective.
That's for sure. Nintendo got the best of 16bit music, although this is entirely subjective too.
Bwahaha!

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
That's for sure. Nintendo got the best of 16bit music, although this is entirely subjective too.
Metal/synth music sounds very good in a SEGA, while instrumental sounds better in SNES.
Although, some games has excellent sound, Aladdin and Sonic games have an excellent usage of synth.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The main reason why I like .MOD music so much! :P

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Metal/synth music sounds very good in a SEGA, while instrumental sounds better in SNES.
Although, some games has excellent sound, Aladdin and Sonic games have an excellent usage of synth.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The main reason why I like .MOD music so much! :P

Suppose that's why I don't really appreciate Sega's tunes all that much as metal isn't my type of music. Synthesised BGMs? Love 'em!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Senile discussion felt like we were having this type of conversation already