What Format Do You Grab Your Films in?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jaxxster, Dec 30, 2008.

Dec 30, 2008
  1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Anyone else here stick to strickly 720p films?

2. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Either a DVD image cause I like having the original menus or just a 720p file which I watch on the computer alone or plug it in the TV.

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Just DVD quality. I don't have anything which plays higher than DVD quality.

4. haringtonl

Member haringtonl GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whats higher 0o other than blu ray? and blu rays are HUGE FILES.

5. Jesterace

Newcomer Jesterace Member

Canada
    I do, I find 1080p movies a waste of bandwidth if I only have a 1080i television. Not to mention 720p looks fine on my television as it is.

6. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    720p , only time I don't is when it's not available (like the atlantis pre airs [​IMG] ).

7. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    DVD quality..

8. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    im anal about download 720p movies. Dunno why but for that reason i wont watch any new movies on the pc till the blu ray is out.

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The highest quality I can find...

10. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Blu-ray rip or if I really want to see it fast, DVD-rip

11. GamerzInc

Member GamerzInc GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    R5 DvdScreener, and DVD-rips. 720p only for cartoons, Smallville, Heroes, and movies that are full CGI or make heavy use of it.

12. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I try to get the best but I usually end up with DVD quality (540p?)

If I had Blur_ray discs, a drive, and a whole lot of space, I'd stick to blu-ray

13. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I contend basic upscaling filters can make short work of PAL region stuff (720 is about 40% more than PAL) let alone my setup (FFdshow has an "avisynth filter").

Ripping myself: DVD to H264 MKV with AAC and any filters I deem fit (older films that I tend to go for are not always subject to the best transfers*, I have a bit of experience in the area though). The 1 gig or more DVD rips using xvid are usually excellent.
    DVD5 via whatever method I deem fit (quant dropping tools like DVDshrink are OK for most things but I will occasionally re-encode).

*a nod to the anime world here, stuff that I consider a bad transfer would be considered a "nice" one compared to some of the stuff I have seen in those realms.

Less than legit. I watch a lot of stuff on my stock hardware xbox which does not play well with high res H264. The only problem is "scene" rules concerning TV rips (and most other video rips) make for useless quality videos if not done properly (and given the prevalence of the "6 minutes after East coast airing to pre" coupled with the TV companies ignoring basic lossy compression concepts (I should not see macroblocking but I do) and generally being cowboys properly is not necessarily an option).
    Filters can help but real time stuff is not easy, even with a high powered machine.
    To this end I will often stitch together the best version I can from multiple sources (many are quick to discount the foreign stuff) or even grab a .ts if they exist.

Regarding best version I tend to aim for the extended cut, directors cut, unrated version or similar and whatever method fills the need rules here.

14. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Depends for tv shows I always go dvdrip in an avi container encoded in xvid although if its new I go hdtv rip as well yea.... but when the dvdrip is out I get it...

With movies I do dvdrip as well and if I like it enough and it has enough action for me I will get the 720 or 1080 release depending on the movie and how much space I wish to waste.