Gaming What Format Do You Grab Your Films in?

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either a DVD image cause I like having the original menus or just a 720p file which I watch on the computer alone or plug it in the TV.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
720p , only time I don't is when it's not available (like the atlantis pre airs
frown.gif
).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I contend basic upscaling filters can make short work of PAL region stuff (720 is about 40% more than PAL) let alone my setup (FFdshow has an "avisynth filter").

Ripping myself: DVD to H264 MKV with AAC and any filters I deem fit (older films that I tend to go for are not always subject to the best transfers*, I have a bit of experience in the area though). The 1 gig or more DVD rips using xvid are usually excellent.
DVD5 via whatever method I deem fit (quant dropping tools like DVDshrink are OK for most things but I will occasionally re-encode).

*a nod to the anime world here, stuff that I consider a bad transfer would be considered a "nice" one compared to some of the stuff I have seen in those realms.

Less than legit. I watch a lot of stuff on my stock hardware xbox which does not play well with high res H264. The only problem is "scene" rules concerning TV rips (and most other video rips) make for useless quality videos if not done properly (and given the prevalence of the "6 minutes after East coast airing to pre" coupled with the TV companies ignoring basic lossy compression concepts (I should not see macroblocking but I do) and generally being cowboys properly is not necessarily an option).
Filters can help but real time stuff is not easy, even with a high powered machine.
To this end I will often stitch together the best version I can from multiple sources (many are quick to discount the foreign stuff) or even grab a .ts if they exist.

Regarding best version I tend to aim for the extended cut, directors cut, unrated version or similar and whatever method fills the need rules here.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depends for tv shows I always go dvdrip in an avi container encoded in xvid although if its new I go hdtv rip as well yea.... but when the dvdrip is out I get it...

With movies I do dvdrip as well and if I like it enough and it has enough action for me I will get the 720 or 1080 release depending on the movie and how much space I wish to waste.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol