What firmware version comes with new PSPs?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by sgodd23, Jun 7, 2012.

Jun 7, 2012
  1. sgodd23
    OP

Newcomer sgodd23 Member

United States
    For the best hack, I need to get a PSP with firmware version 6.20 or lower, correct? Also, there were a few different bundles available at random stores. The one I definitely remember was the MLB: The Show/Gran Turismo bundle. Which firmware version does that PSP come with? Thanks in advance!

2. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    All I can tell you is to read the stickies before posting.

3. 098v

Newcomer 098v Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm pretty sure that they should have firmware versions 6.XX and above but if you get one with the newest firmware I would recommend softmodding your PSP with PSProUpdate (if your PSP has the newest firmware you'll have to get the temporary version but if it's 6.20 and below you can use the permanent) rest of the information will be on the site that I linked

4. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    If you can find a new psp go, it is guaranteed to have firmware 5.70.

It really doesn't matter though because any psp can be downgraded to 6.20 to achieve permanent hack status using davee's chronoswitch downgrader.

My advice is to save money and get a core pack 3000 brite which is available anywhere.

5. sgodd23
    OP

Newcomer sgodd23 Member

United States
    Thanks for the quick replies! I just wanted to try and get a PSP with 6.20 or lower, but if any PSP can be downgraded to 6.20, then I really have nothing to worry about. Thanks again!

6. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

From what I understand, some 3000s can't be downgraded to 6.20 even with chronoswitch though all PSP Go's can. Also, it is not the firmware it originally came with that matters it is what modules the motherboard uses (3g, 4g, 5g, 9g). Fortunately, most downgraders nowadays have failsafes built in to check for that before downgrading so if your system can't be downgraded to 6.20 then it just won't do anything.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    All 3000's can be downgraded with the latest version, but there have been issues with it so I don't recommend it as you can't pandora a 3000 to recover from a brick.

The motherboard model (and module) are directly linked to the shipping firmware as far as modern concerns go, which is why one or the other is used.