What does PSNabler do?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Hidoshi, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010

What does PSNabler do? by Hidoshi at 12:51 AM (1,369 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Hidoshi
    OP

Newcomer Hidoshi Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I just found out (from the Fat Princess thread) that there is something called PSNabler.
    I got 5.00 m33-6 for a while now, but I never heard of it.
    What does it do exactly? On the main site it says:
    So I can only join the PSN and then buy games from that? Or can I play Fat Princess online when I install this plug-in?

Also, what's the $20 for? And how/when/why to pay it?

Thanks in advance

2. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm pretty sure it's mostly obsolete now but iirc there's a plugin called PSNKiller that works for some games.

Never used so I can't be much help from there.

3. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Yea, PSNabler came and went... *might* still work for some games (LBP, Killzone), dunno about Fat Princess.

And yes, PSNKiller just came out (PSNabler's source code was recently released, so more will be coming) and has improved upon what PSNabler started.

4. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    PSNabler is now obsolete, use the plugin PSNkiller instead. It will allow you to play Fat Princess (amongst other titles) online on PSN, yes. You don't have to pay any money.

The $20 they're referring to is one of the recent game releases -- SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3. It is the second major release that Sony has used as an 'experiment' of sorts, this experiment being 'how do we cash in on used game sales?'. If you buy the game at retail on UMD, it comes with a redeemable code that allows you to register and get online. If you buy via PSN, it authenticates automatically. If you buy a used UMD copy and someone has already registered the code, you'll need to fork out $20 to Sony to get a code that will allow you to get online. It's their way of trying to fight piracy AND get a little something from used game sales.

(What was the first experiment? LocoRoco Midnight Carnival -- you download the full game, which acts like a demo. To unlock the full game, you purchase a keyfile that tells the game it's now the full version. Notice how there's no working scene release of that particular game? [​IMG])

5. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    PSNkiller is good for some games, but now the authors of PSNabler and PSNkiller are getting together and recently released Universal PSNKiller, but don't have support for many games.