What do you think about second hand?

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Unless you're rich and have everything already covered (house, education, savings, family related), I believe the decision is more like "do I need a second-hand car or am I well enough walking and using public transport?"

My opinion is that there's no relevant difference between a new car and a used car for the common use, therefore buying a new car is a poor investment if that's the purpose - not only does the car depreciate a good amount in value as soon as you turn it on and drive (becoming a used car), but people often take loans or spend an amount of money that is disproportionate to their budget, which will make their lives harder or will make it harder to purchase other things.

Last edited by Dark_Phoras,
Reactions: CoolMe

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Unless you're rich and have everything already covered (house, education, savings, family related), I believe the decision is more like "do I need a second-hand car or am I well enough walking and using public transport?"

My opinion is that there's no relevant difference between a new car and a used car for the common use, therefore buying a new car is a poor investment if that's the purpose - not only does the car depreciate a good amount in value as soon as you turn it on and drive (becoming a used car), but people often take loans or spend an amount of money that is disproportionate to their budget, which will make their lives harder or will make it harder to purchase other things.
Not nowadays. Cars Apreciate in Value. Try getting a Tesla. You can sell for much more then you got it.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not nowadays. Cars Apreciate in Value. Try getting a Tesla. You can sell for much more then you got it.

My opinion is based in part on financial advice, I have no qualified knowledge of the current market or the technical area. As we live in times of change or in extraordinary circumstances, what you write might be true.

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My pc is 6 years old and regularly doesn't boot without a bios reset. New motherboards socket 1151 are very rare and expensive, so I got a second hand z270 for 70 euro's... Don't want to waste my i7 6600k...

Reactions: Glyptofane

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tend to buy most of my stuff second hand. I am rather skilled at repairing stuff, so I look for things I believe I can repair and buy them. Most of the time I can with what I have and sometimes I need to buy a few extra parts. I find it fun and I think it’s helpful to prevent waste to the best of my abilities

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to buy most of my stuff second hand. I am rather skilled at repairing stuff, so I look for things I believe I can repair and buy them. Most of the time I can with what I have and sometimes I need to buy a few extra parts. I find it fun and I think it’s helpful to prevent waste to the best of my abilities
Snap I'm exactly the same the only new thing I own is my car.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Depends a lot of what it is and how good it is still looking ...

I often go to flea markets and sometimes there are some old used treasures there but stuff like clothes and even furniture I prefer to buy new as there are some super cheap offers all the time if you search for it and don't mind waiting a few weeks or even month.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It depends on the object. Sometimes you have no choice than to go second hand (retro consoles or other things that aren't manufactured anymore). I have bought second hand cars in the past, but that's about it. I would never by second hand clothes personally, or things like second hand plates and kitchen tools. For smaller things I don't want to spend a lot of money on, I get it from aliexpress. I must get 10 packages a week from there :D.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Anything I'm eating off of, or storing food with, is going to be new, hands down. Pet toys as well, only because I feel wary about what the previous owner could have infecting it. (fleas, parvo) Everything else, I'm good with as secondhand.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I will buy most things new, just because I grew up very poor and everything was second-hand to me. And as a direct result, shit I had wore-out much faster because people before me didn't take proper care of said thing, wore it out before me, or flat-out broke it and I had to make due with what I had. I make enough money now to get the things I want new for the most-part, because I make my things last. I take really good care of my possessions.

For things that don't really matter as much, I'll buy 2nd-hand... Like RAM, Gameboy games, Disc-based games... as long as I can look at the disc's surface before purchase, TV remotes, Game consoles, etc... But some things I want new like most other PC parts (SSDs especially, GPUs, CPUs, power supplies, motherboards, etc...), some furniture, blankets, etc.

And then some things I really don't mine being well-worn or broken-in are things like Baseball mitts, 3D printers, slippers, Kitchen utensils, and girlfriends.

Reactions: Chary

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's in very good to good condition and sold as stated, then I have no problem with it. The issue rises when it's falsely advertised and the seller tries to put up a fight to not refund.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
I'm all about saving a buck, catch me buying most things second hand if I can. Unless they certain things like computer parts and whatnot, I'd rather get those new, but, cars, phones, etc. and sometimes even clothing I'll get second hand and it's totally cool with me.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never in my life bought a new car. New cars are expensive and it seems that they end up in the shop a lot. So I prefer to spend around $1,200 or less on a car, ride it to the ground, and replace it in a few years. Another upside to this is that you never have to worry about payments.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I had both second hand and new cars. If I had enough money? I never bought second hand. There is a big difference between maintenance and comfort.
My first car was a 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada. It was perfect for us, until the left engine bank flooded with fuel and was gonna cost us serious money.

Then I got a 2013 Subaru Impreza 4-door sedan, and I was in LOVE with Subaru cars. I still am. It only had 74K miles on it too!

We had that car for a couple years, and then traded up to a brand new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek (it's like a slightly smaller Outback with less features). It's the first car I've ever bought brand new in my life.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't do second hand food* (I don't like seeing my food again, eating someone else's in that position is no fun) don't do second hand toilet paper, don't do second hand underwear (no freeballing around here either), very particular about second hand mattresses (I say staying in various hotels sometimes more than half the year) and cloth beds (metal/wood bed frames is fine). Unless I am using someone else's money that I don't care about/actively dislike I would never buy a new car as that is just pissing money away needlessly (not as much as leasing a car but that is a different discussion).

*though I buy plenty cheap and if some house clearance has a bunch of sealed and unspoiled nice food/spices I will take those happily.

Everything else is fair game -- it is new to me. Enough people are wasteful enough or fashion victims such that they buy stuff never to use and get rid of it for nothing/next to nothing and my mechanical skills/repair skills for just about everything are good enough that it is even better still, to say nothing of most people don't recognise quality either so what I get that is old will probably outlast anything that is new as well. At this point most things I wear, games I play, books I have, tools I use, computers I roll with (minor exception as I will often buy new hard drives if needed, though I think all mine are second hand at this point)... are second hand. I spend no small amount of time visiting car boot sales/flea markets/yard sales, antiques shops, charity shops and such in pursuit of them as well. Even if I had serious money then I would not go in for it.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I try to get nearly everything second hand, be it electronics, books or other stuff. I keep track of a lot of it and until now I roughly pay 60% of the normal price.

IMO it is quite luxurious to buy everything new, but most of the time it is the kind of „I will eat gold on my food“ kind of luxury that doesn’t make much sense to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/2UeWMgjwogU?si=PfULn0Jf4XpnU6M_ Now I know how to install m.2