Homebrew What do I need for WiiU development?

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to Wii U development, but I believe libwiiu is what you'll need to build your homebrew (along with devkitPPC, of course). If that isn't the case, well, it's loaded with examples and two kernel exploits, so it's useful anyway. :P

Here's a link: https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu

Reactions: CJB100

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to Wii U development, but I believe libwiiu is what you'll need to build your homebrew (along with devkitPPC, of course). If that isn't the case, well, it's loaded with examples and two kernel exploits, so it's useful anyway. :P

Here's a link: https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu

Ah ok. I did do a little WiiU development around the time of 5.5.1's release(and the userland exploit) but I forgot what I needed. Thanks!

D

Deleted User

Nowadays, you won't really need libwiiu, unless you want to make homebrew limited to 21.5kb and not have sound.
The HBL and RPX environments are much more expansive and support many more of the Wii U's features (including sound and >21.5kb binaries).
See here for an HBL environment example and here for the unofficial RPX build setup.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest targeting RPX since it can launch from Loadiine and natively, although HBL is easier to do rapid testing with. Porting between the two can be challenging though.

Androidmarketuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I suggest looking at some github code, just enter the main method and follow the used methods, find the imports which were needed for them and what they are doing.
As I'm also trying to get a little bit into it I think it's definately not that easy, especially without broad C knowledge, for example pointers, header files and C linkage.
I think for the first steps and some unanswered questions @QuarkTheAwesome 's development guide is perfect. By looking at some sources (e.g. https://github.com/QuarkTheAwesome/LiveSynthesisU/) and saerching wiiubrew for the called functions maybe we are able to start own projects someday ;)

Reactions: CallieMarie

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
There are three primary ways to launch homebrew: via Userland (bin/mp4 files), via HBL (elf), and via Loadiine/natively (rpx). There's also two main methods of drawing to the screen: a basic way via OSScreen and a more graphical way with GX2.

Examples for everything below!!

Userland
Examples: Hello World - Pong - C@ve - Snake - Space Game - Tic Tac Toe
Requirements: libwiiu
Limitations: No sound, no SD card, no GX2, no global variables, and ~20KB app limit

HBL elf
OSScreen Examples: Hello World - Pong - C@ve - Snake - Space Game - Tic Tac Toe - LiveSynthesisU
GX2 Examples: HBL - Loadiine GX2 - CHIP8 Emulator - Colored Cube - HB App Store
Requirements: dimok's libogc and portlibs installed to the devkitpro directory
Limitations: HBL elf format is a touch hacky wrt. to memory, upper limit on ELF size (~5MB?), can't use static libraries (such as the HOME menu pause/resume or browser open url)

Native RPX / Loadiine
Examples: Hello World - Pong - Space Game - Colored Cube - GX2texture2d
Requirements: decaf-emu/wut configured
Limitations: toolchain (wut) is still in development, otherwise has normal app access as far as the RPX loading mechanism permits

Everything above requires devkitppc to be setup as well.

Personally, I started with Userland and the Pong example, but I might recommend starting with one of the HBL examples because developing with HBL is a bit quicker. Developing for RPX would be preferred but starting with Userland or HBL may be better to start with for learning experience.

I also recommend paying close attention to the Hello World, Pong, and Space Game examples up above, as you can compare the different versions to see how the difference between Userland/HBL/RPX looks in code. Also don't shy away from asking questions if you get stuck on anything!

EDIT: also, I'm no expert-- all my knowledge is ad-hoc, so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong on any info in this post

Last edited by vgmoose,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ahh, userland... No global variables was a fun one. You'd just get a random value from memory instead of your variable.
I'm not sure I'd call LiveSynthesisU an OSScreen example; yeah, it uses OSScreen, but it's more focused on audio. Other than that, great post @vgmoose! Pretty much covered everything.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
There are three primary ways to launch homebrew: via Userland (bin/mp4 files), via HBL (elf), and via Loadiine/natively (rpx). There's also two main methods of drawing to the screen: a basic way via OSScreen and a more graphical way with GX2.

Userland
Limitations: No sound, no SD card, no GX2, no global variables, and ~20KB app limit

HBL elf
OSScreen Examples: Hello World - Pong - C@ve - Snake - Space Game - Tic Tac Toe - LiveSynthesisU
Limitations: HBL elf format is a touch hacky wrt. to memory, upper limit on ELF size (~5MB?), can't use static libraries (such as the HOME menu pause/resume or browser open url)

Native RPX / Loadiine
Limitations: toolchain (wut) is still in development, otherwise has normal app access as far as the RPX loading mechanism permits

Personally, I started with Userland and the Pong example, but I might recommend starting with one of the HBL examples because developing with HBL is a bit quicker. Developing for RPX would be preferred but starting with Userland or HBL may be better to start with for learning experience.

I also recommend paying close attention to the Hello World, Pong, and Space Game examples up above, as you can compare the different versions to see how the difference between Userland/HBL/RPX looks in code. Also don't shy away from asking questions if you get stuck on anything!

EDIT: also, I'm no expert-- all my knowledge is ad-hoc, so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong on any info in this post
excellent post.

Last edited by pwsincd,

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nowadays, you won't really need libwiiu, unless you want to make homebrew limited to 21.5kb and not have sound.
The HBL and RPX environments are much more expansive and support many more of the Wii U's features (including sound and >21.5kb binaries).
See here for an HBL environment example and here for the unofficial RPX build setup.
Oh, sorry. I've been out of the loop for a while....

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Userland

HBL elf

Native RPX / Loadiine

So, if I'm wanting to port an emulator, GX2 + HBL/RPX would be my best bet? Any information on GX2? :)

D

Deleted User

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
So, if I'm wanting to port an emulator, GX2 + HBL/RPX would be my best bet? Any information on GX2? :)
For GX2 + RPX, I'd check out @shinyquagsire23 's port of dimok's Colored Cube and custom GX2texture2d projects.

As for a GX2 emulator, as @CreeperMario said, see the readme @brienj wrote here.

@brienj ported @rw-r-r_0644 's CHIP8 emulator to GX2 and also made a lovely emulator frame, seen below:

He was able to then use the code for that frame to quickly produce a gameboy emulator, which as you can see looks similar:

The frame (loading+GX2 parts) of those emulators looks like this in Application.cpp, and then they delegate to a C file for their emulation "core" for the actual emulation.

I've listed a lot of names/examples to look at and learn from, but if your goal is to make a GX2 emulator, then you should totally take a look a the CHIP8 emulator and play with it. CHIP8 roms are actually free to download, so playing with that may be the quickest way to port another emulator!

Reactions: Deleted User

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For GX2 + RPX, I'd check out @shinyquagsire23 's port of dimok's Colored Cube and custom GX2texture2d projects.

As for a GX2 emulator, as @CreeperMario said, see the readme @brienj wrote here.

@brienj ported @rw-r-r_0644 's CHIP8 emulator to GX2 and also made a lovely emulator frame, seen below:

He was able to then use the code for that frame to quickly produce a gameboy emulator, which as you can see looks similar:

The frame (loading+GX2 parts) of those emulators looks like this in Application.cpp, and then they delegate to a C file for their emulation "core" for the actual emulation.

I've listed a lot of names/examples to look at and learn from, but if your goal is to make a GX2 emulator, then you should totally take a look a the CHIP8 emulator and play with it. CHIP8 roms are actually free to download, so playing with that may be the quickest way to port another emulator!

Ok, seems nice! I've done some with chip8 before, so I have experience with that system. I'll look into that! Thanks for your help! :D

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
All I did was utilize what @dimok made. He made very easy to use classes for making a GUI app in GX2, and I changed it a bit so you could refresh one of the GUI elements with your own memory array.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup