What compression is this?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Naxito, Feb 27, 2011.

Feb 27, 2011

What compression is this? by Naxito at 8:45 PM (1,040 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Naxito
    OP

Newcomer Naxito Advanced Member

Spain
  2. Kaleid

Newcomer Kaleid Advanced Member

United States
  3. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Try opening it using WinRAR.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I managed to grab the other day it but could not get anything done with it- I poked it around and while it apparently could decompress I only got garbage (I would expect a ncgr to give me some form of image- it decompressed to random little lines everywhere in all the things I tried- not noise that it was before but lines). This being said it did not error out the decompression tool which is what usually happens with a bad file.
    Crystaltile2 seems to think it is compressed (I stuck it in rom and had a look then), that it does not compress much and once "decompressed" decompresses back again to a similar size as the original file would support such an assessment as well.
    In the hex I did not look hard but nothing that usually gives LZ away (flags and the like) jumped out at me. I did not see any RLE type arrangements and 1bpp did not do much so that pretty much leaves huffman (which I also tried to see) but if it is custom huffman (even if it is just the "probability table" stashed somewhere unusual) that makes life difficult.

All this is very odd.
    I think this might be an ASM hack- if there are files like it loaded earlier in the game do a bit of replacement and see if you can not hook things there.

If someone else wants to try their hand and that link does not work then
    http://www.4shared.com/file/-8Tpm5Cl/archivo2.html

5. Dark315055Vash

Newcomer Dark315055Vash Member

Italy
    it should be Huffman (0x20) with a 8 bit pattern. there is the 0x24 too which is a Huffman with a 4 bit pattern.

6. Naxito
    OP

Newcomer Naxito Advanced Member

Spain
    Thanks all

Ok but, what i do? I don't know how work Huffman. Any idea?