ROM Hack What compression is this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to grab the other day it but could not get anything done with it- I poked it around and while it apparently could decompress I only got garbage (I would expect a ncgr to give me some form of image- it decompressed to random little lines everywhere in all the things I tried- not noise that it was before but lines). This being said it did not error out the decompression tool which is what usually happens with a bad file.
Crystaltile2 seems to think it is compressed (I stuck it in rom and had a look then), that it does not compress much and once "decompressed" decompresses back again to a similar size as the original file would support such an assessment as well.
In the hex I did not look hard but nothing that usually gives LZ away (flags and the like) jumped out at me. I did not see any RLE type arrangements and 1bpp did not do much so that pretty much leaves huffman (which I also tried to see) but if it is custom huffman (even if it is just the "probability table" stashed somewhere unusual) that makes life difficult.

All this is very odd.
I think this might be an ASM hack- if there are files like it loaded earlier in the game do a bit of replacement and see if you can not hook things there.

If someone else wants to try their hand and that link does not work then
http://www.4shared.com/file/-8Tpm5Cl/archivo2.html

Naxito

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all

Dark315055Vash said:
it should be Huffman (0x20) with a 8 bit pattern. there is the 0x24 too which is a Huffman with a 4 bit pattern.
Ok but, what i do? I don't know how work Huffman. Any idea?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol