What carts shall I buy?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DanielWilko, Feb 3, 2016.

1. DanielWilko
    OP

DanielWilko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    Hi there I have a 2DS running Ver. 10.5.0-30E

I want to buy one cart to run 3ds Roms and I want to buy another to run DS and GBA/Gameboy games

Which carts do I buy?

I was thinking Sky3DS Plus for the 3ds games but I'm
    Not sure which one for the DS/GBA games

2. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    The only cart that can reliably emulate GBA games is the DSTWO plus. And even that one is not amazing, VC injection is, really the way to go for Gameboy, it is however a decent DS cart

Sky 3DS Plus is a decent 3DS card.

For just DS I would go with an R4 gold, they are cheap and solid cards, but you won't get great GBA performance though.

3. VirusX2

VirusX2 Master Race Beast

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    R4i for NDS I think...

4. DanielWilko
    OP

DanielWilko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    What is VC injection?

on the website I will purchase off of, it says the dstwo plus will not run on Ver 10?

So this r4 gold can play GBA and DS games on the 2ds ver10? What's the hiccup of GBA games?

I dont have a DS, I need a 2DS cart that can run DS/GBA games?

5. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    VC injection is where you take a legit GBA virtual console title and inject a rom of your choosing to run it natively.

The 3DS does not perform so great on the GBA emulators, the DSTWO plus has extra memory and processor on board to help that.

I use a DSTWO plus on 10.4, the 3DS mode might not work but you shouldn't use that, anyway because they stile Gateways stuff and there is a chance to brick your console.

I personally would go CFW for 3DS, VC injection for GBA and a cheap R4 for Ds

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    vc injection is something you can do with custom firmware installed. however, you being on 10.5 means you cant do that with your current 2ds at this time.

the sky3ds plus card supposedly supports the latest firmware. at least its saying so on http://www.sky3ds.com/news.html

r4gold cant play gba games i believe. the dstwo carts can, but not perfectly either. the thing is, gba emulation isn't that easy. the dstwo comes with an extra cpu and memory in the cart to make gba and snes emulation possible at all, but theres still games that dont run or not at all. no idea what firmware they support right now

7. jordanmgreen

jordanmgreen Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2013
    United States
    Brazil, Indiana
    I have a 3ds xl 10.5 just got my sky+ Monday and I love it! Make sure you use a scan disc brand micro sd, I tried my trusty Samsung 32 gb and it didn't work.... Www.modchipcentral.com 2 day shipping with tracking $15

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Ask @gamesquest1 to hardmod/downgrade your 2DS for you (he's in the UK and has done many hardmods for other people) then you'll save yourself the money for a Sky3DS+ (the hardmod is cheaper) and you'll be able to use GBA VC injects as well. Only thing missing then is DS and you can get a cheap R4i Gold for $15 or so.